• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Alfred the Great - Royal Mint 9am 22nd April

I quite liked the Canute and this one is clearly meant to be in the same vein.

A miss I feel, it's hideous. Agree with ILSIRD, looks like an alien, and what's that strange phallic thing appearing in shot at 7 o'clock? (my wife spotted this BTW😁)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 hours ago, NewCoins said:

Looks like the Royal Mint has an Alfred the great coin on sale today.

Don't think its for me personally, but will take a better look when there are some proper pictures.

Here is a mock-up we prepared earlier, using ESP:

2021alfredthegreatsilverMOCKUP4000.thumb.jpg.db0dbf28327a61cd8c41adefcac6253c.jpg

For those who don't know, it is modelled on the "Alfred Jewel".

Chards

3 hours ago, Paul said:

it is a 'little' King Canute'y looking to me - abstract, if you like

the Canute has done well past few years  

I read a Jeremy Clarkson article at weekend, in which he was discussion nicknames. He mentioned Cnut the Anagram.

I suspected the Royal Mint would use the anglicised and sanitised spelling "Canute" rather than the original Norse Cnut, probably to avoid mis-spelling causing offence. It is quite likely that an (American based) spellchecker would suggest a taboo alternative.

Chards

1 hour ago, kena said:

This is almost bad as the Mr. Men\Little Miss series of coins.

Looks like the person who designed the reverse never saw the statue of him in Wantage (which is 8 miles north of where I live).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Alfred_the_Great,_Wantage

Could you provide a close-up?

Particularly of his head and shoulders, so we can compare.

Chards

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

I quite liked the Canute and this one is clearly meant to be in the same vein.

A miss I feel, it's hideous. Agree with ILSIRD, looks like an alien, and what's that strange phallic thing appearing in shot at 7 o'clock? (my wife spotted this BTW😁)

Why do you think they called him "the Great"! 🙂

Chards

I actually like it... based on the Alfred Jewel which.. for me.. is aligned to historical significance.... low mintage will make this a good bet me thinks... mind you I liked the Mr Men as well haha

Didn't buy but was curious enough to go and read the fascinating story of Alfred; and to look up the Jewel. What an extraordinary treasure. Happy to have learned something new today.

alfred1800840_0_0.jpg

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I get what they were going for, and the original Alfred jewel is magnificent, but the design just doesn't transfer well on a modern coin. It's just too much of a contrast.  If they were to do a Kings and Queens range in a similar vein to the Myths and Legends with realistic figures, that would be a winner.  Or maybe produce a more stylised coin that would work better with the artwork on the Alfred jewel...maybe something more obviously Anglo-Saxon looking?  This  design feels likes it's got one foot in the past and one in modernity, but it doesn't work for me.

I bought a few of the last Peter Rabbit release in the silver proof format due to the low mintage. I still have these. I have to be honest, I thought that was going to be the final Peter Rabbit release. I will most probably buy more of this new release depending upon mintage and design. What about you?