• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Wow that’s quick!!!

I’m still waiting for my 1 Oz silver Bull of Clarence and 1 Oz silver Britannia. 

Yeah, I was very surprised when I received shipping notification. At first I thought it was the shipping notification for Charles I coin I’ve ordered, but it’s definitely for the Petition Crown one

10 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I feel like the RM deliberately went in a different direction this year, because with the prior three Great Engravers releases, these other mints also diluted the uniqueness and saturated the market.

If I mistake not, EIC has made Una and the Lion an annual series with a different design each year. Way to piggyback on the name of a numismatic icon. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

To be honest, the RM should always go its own way and offer its treasures, or better their restrikes, exclusively. But they are not there to serve us collectors, they only want to maximise their profits, wich makes sense as a business operation. Nevertheless, they should do better and do justice to the history of the Mint.

I don't find the annual EIC series exciting either. But I meant the Una from their Masterpiece series. Despite the larger diameter, it doesn't quite match the RM, but it's a great alternative for anyone who missed the RM launch.  The best Gothic Crown set came imho from the Commonwealth Mint with a young QEII portrait of Jody Clark. Sure, not from the RM, but these issues have not to hide behind the RM.

20211218_163215.thumb.jpg.454e930f21f6929d3b3466023c11dec6-1.jpg

20211218_163349.thumb.jpg.9378dfd08744f3ae064ae62dac69a258.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

17 minutes ago, Crogoblin said:

Yeah, I was very surprised when I received shipping notification. At first I thought it was the shipping notification for Charles I coin I’ve ordered, but it’s definitely for the Petition Crown one

Oh I forgot about this. I’m waiting on these too. 🫤

8 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

The best Gothic Crown set came imho from the Commonwealth Mint with a young QEII portrait of Jody Clark.

I thought the concept of a QE II Gothic Portrait felt a bit artificial and forced; the execution however cannot be faulted. It’s good ol Jody Clark after all. 😊

13 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I thought the concept of a QE II Gothic Portrait felt a bit artificial and forced; the execution however cannot be faulted. It’s good ol Jody Clark after all. 😊

His Gothics are absolute stunners, even though @GoldDiggerDave even discovered a typo on the coin with his IPhone 84. JC makes some fantastic designs, but sometimes... What are the Four Graces? 

2022-alderney-10-oz-silver-four-graces-pr-70-pcgs_252894_slab size.jpg

22 hours ago, paulmerton said:

The 5oz set looks great to me, as the edge lettering fills the space like I'd expect it to. The 2oz coins are effectively piedforts (even though there is no 1oz equivalent) and so the blank space looks a bit weird, like on the 10oz coins.

The 5oz is the winner for me in silver land.

I think you are right. I have to become calmer and watch better. At first I thought it was the first RM 10 OZ proof that made sense, because of a larger lettering on the rim. But this, like all the other 10 OZ proofs, is just twice as thick and expensive as the 5 OZ proofs...

Edited by dikefalos

Last year, here in the U.S., ModernCointMart/GovMint produced a modern take on St. George.  Legal tender of the Ascension Island and designed/engraved by three modern masters.  Available in gold and silver.

2022_Modern_Masters_all_3_version_1.jpg?yocs=i_

18 minutes ago, JeffM said:

ModernCointMart/GovMint produced a modern take on St. George.  Legal tender of the Ascension Island and designed/engraved by three modern masters.  Available in gold and silver.

Oh, they look very interesting. Surprisingly, only JC design in BU silver is/was available from some European dealers...

image.png.ae5119091c534d3cb64923d71e077f67.png

As to the other JC designs, I find recent one, with King effigy, made for Malta quite...questionable :)

image.jpeg.eddd4061120b6de452a12dbb211fc3f3.jpeg

How am I the only one who has picked up on this? I mentioned it yesterday and no one seems to care… 🫠

The petition text is oriented upside down when the Charles II effigy and the Quartered Arms are facing up.

So when the coins are in the box, you can either read the petition with KC III facing up on both coins (uhh!), or you can keep the Charles II effigy and the Quartered Arms facing up, but then the petition text is going to be upside down.

You can’t have the Charles II effigy, the Quartered Arms, and the petition text facing up together.

In general, I suppose the obverse is considered the “heads” of a coin. In this context, the orientation of the petition makes sense to be readable when the obverse is facing up.

With the original Petition Crown, this worked perfectly, because the petition was about the Charles II effigy itself.

However with the new reproductions, this orientation makes no sense, unless there is some convention that edge lettering must be oriented while a coin’s obverse is facing up.

Who knows someone at the Royal Mint and can get an answer? 😏

30 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

How am I the only one who has picked up on this? I mentioned it yesterday and no one seems to care… 🫠

The petition text is oriented upside down when the Charles II effigy and the Quartered Arms are facing up.

So when the coins are in the box, you can either read the petition with KC III facing up on both coins (uhh!), or you can keep the Charles II effigy and the Quartered Arms facing up, but then the petition text is going to be upside down.

You can’t have the Charles II effigy, the Quartered Arms, and the petition text facing up together.

In general, I suppose the obverse is considered the “heads” of a coin. In this context, the orientation of the petition makes sense to be readable when the obverse is facing up.

With the original Petition Crown, this worked perfectly, because the petition was about the Charles II effigy itself.

However with the new reproductions, this orientation makes no sense, unless there is some convention that edge lettering must be oriented while a coin’s obverse is facing up.

I think this is it.  KCIII is the obverse, and I think they intentionally intended that the coin is to be read the way it is.  Perhaps their sign of respect to KCIII, too.

11 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

2oz Silver: 709/3250
5oz Silver: 43/500
10oz Silver: 17/150

5oz Gold: 65/125

I don't foresee the 2 oz. silvers selling out unless it gets close and the dealers buy it out.

I made a big mistake with this.  I anticipated that the queue would be overrun, and these would sell out very quickly.  I also thought that the mintage would be lower than it is.  So, to save myself some stress, I bought it from a dealer when sales opened at a little higher price.  Lesson learned for the future!

31 minutes ago, SilverPlatinum said:

I noticed that too! Not sure how this happened!

For example, I cancelled the RM order, as some of the EU dealers started selling 2oz silver sets, and for me it would be the same price, even a little less than receiving it directly from the RM, due to customs service charge avoided and less shipping cost. As well, I hope that dealers, unlike the RM, look at coins they receive from the RM before sending them to final customers, so the risk to get bad quality coins is less. One my friend also cancelled the similar order.

9 minutes ago, ak74 said:

For example, I cancelled the RM order, as some of the EU dealers started selling 2oz silver sets, and for me it would be the same price, even a little less than receiving it directly from the RM, due to customs service charge avoided and less shipping cost. As well, I hope that dealers, unlike the RM, look at coins they receive from the RM before sending them to final customers, so the risk to get bad quality coins is less. One my friend also cancelled the similar order.

One of the big reasons I prefer buying from the dealers.  I have never gotten a bad coin from a dealer.

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

There is no convention for circulating coins. That doesn't stop lots of people on eBay trying to sell "rare error" coins where the edge inscription is supposedly upside down, oblivious to the fact that there is a 50/50 chance of it being either way up on any one coin.

I don't know about proof or bunc coins though. I may have to have a look through a few!

Wouldn't it be exciting if the petition crowns also have a 50/50 chance of being a favourable way up.

15 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

There is no convention for circulating coins. That doesn't stop lots of people on eBay trying to sell "rare error" coins where the edge inscription is supposedly upside down, oblivious to the fact that there is a 50/50 chance of it being either way up on any one coin.

I don't know about proof or bunc coins though. I may have to have a look through a few!

Wouldn't it be exciting if the petition crowns also have a 50/50 chance of being a favourable way up.

We all know that we would much prefer reading the edge description while facing the portrait of KCIII !  And please be sure to face in the direction of Buckingham Palace when you do so!

I just took the plunge and bought a 5 oz set.  I have 3 graces and gothic in 5 oz so decided to go in.  Bought the 2 oz earlier so I may cancel and keep the 5 - problem is where do I store them…..

15 hours ago, marston59 said:

I brought 2x 2oz silver sets and 1x 2oz gold set, anybody sending for grading?

I may send 1 set and keep the other in Royal Mint display box.

Just received Royal Mail delivery info for tomorrow.

Congratulations! I think you’re the first (and only!) person here to have said they’ve purchased the 2 Oz gold set. 😃

May I request pictures when you have this in hand? I’m curious if the gold coins live up to the hype.