• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

I was half tempted to order the 2oz set but i cannot justify the cost. £560 for two silver proof (albeit 2oz) copy coins is ridiculous. With a regular one ounce proofing selling for £95, and taking into account the additional silver content, these should be for sale at no more than £260. 

The Britannia 2 coin reverse proof sets were £195 with a mintage of 520 as opposed to this mintage of 3250. Take away the flipping aspect of this issue and i just don't get the appeal.

I am fascinated by how this release has gone. The comments here and on Facebook both seemed to indicate it wasn't going to be as popular a release as previous ones in the series but I didn't imagine we'd get into the evening and still have sets available to purchase. I certainly agree with other comments that the per oz price is rather bonkers regardless of what size or metal you're looking at. I wonder if thats them thinking they can milk people for more because its a Great Engravers release or because the edge lettering incurred more work/costs. Either way I wonder what effect this lacklustre launch will have on any further coins in the series. Time will tell.

I'm glad it was easy to get the 2oz silver set and be able to keep the collection to date complete. I just hope they've done a good job with the minting of these as it will be super disapointing (especially given the price) to have to deal with any minting issues.

14 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I was half tempted to order the 2oz set but i cannot justify the cost. £560 for two silver proof (albeit 2oz) copy coins is ridiculous. With a regular one ounce proofing selling for £95, and taking into account the additional silver content, these should be for sale at no more than £260. 

The Britannia 2 coin reverse proof sets were £195 with a mintage of 520 as opposed to this mintage of 3250. Take away the flipping aspect of this issue and i just don't get the appeal.

The price of the individual 2oz silver gothic crown has changed to £260 on the RM site, which is why I was expecting this new set to be around £520.

We're paying £40 for the shiny box, sticky-out lettering and custom capsules! 😯

Of course, the cost of these coins will be much more than the value of the metal.  There are fixed costs, variable costs of this issue, a built in profit, etc.    It costs a lot to produce the coins.  In addition to costs for designing and engraving the coins, there are the supplies (cases, capsules, etc), marketing/advertising costs, administrative costs and salaries, etc.  if I like the coin and can afford the cost, I buy it.  Then again, I’m a collector and not a flipper.  I have never sold a coin, so I don’t view them as a quick profit.

My opinion, it'll be a release where the design will put people off, on eye appeal alone, the coin will be judged and overlooked. Giving little importance to the history of the original so they'll pass on this release only to end up I believe in regretting not purchasing. Late bloomer ( only an opinion ) time will tell. Wouldn't rule it out yet 

What is the thickness of the 2 ounce, and the 5 ounce silver coins?

Could not find this info on the webpage!

It seems to me (from the photos) that the engraving on the 5 ounce version is done in larger fonts (covers more area), but I could be wrong..........This is why I'm asking about the thickness.

5 hours ago, Paul said:

dnw-george-v-pattern-crown

Wyon's Pattern Crown would have been nice to have in this series  

😍😍😍

I have said before that the RM could do a series of the St George and Dragon designs done by their “great engravers”.

William Wyon.

image.jpeg.9e8c80bf9a6287eda256253701aff7e3.jpeg

A G Wyon

0A751941-B0C1-4424-ADE9-5AAE536F7297.jpeg.852e1990ea5d7411aaba13fa587395af.jpeg

Edgar Bertram MacKennal
image.jpeg.c10492dcad137f650a3a246ad4e5cca5.jpeg

Anyway at this stage I feel like I’m flogging a dead horse (an ironically apt metaphor!) ☝🏽😆

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

😍😍😍

I have said before that the RM could do a series of the St George and Dragon designs done by their “great engravers”.

William Wyon.

A G Wyon

Edgar Bertram MacKennal

Anyway at this stage I feel like I’m flogging a dead horse (an ironically apt metaphor!) ☝🏽😆

No 1 please sign me up, please 

15 hours ago, SilverPlatinum said:

I wish they had a videos for those coins.

At least to see how they look in real lighting.......

Just too expensive....and hard to justify the price.......

Here you go mate. It’s not the best but it’s something.

Indeed the relief looks rather good, and if it weren’t for the premium price tag due to the hype of the series, they’d be nice coins to have in larger denominations.

Edited by westminstrel

29 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

😍😍😍

William Wyon.

A G Wyon

Edgar Bertram MacKennal

Would it be sacrilegious to admit that I like all 3 of these more than Pistrucci's version? There, I said it! The WW is spectacular.

18 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Here you go mate. It’s not the best but it’s something.

Indeed the relief looks rather good, and if it weren’t for the premium price tag due to the hype of the series, they’d be nice coins to have in larger denominations.

Thanks...........

6 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Would it be sacrilegious to admit that I like all 3 of these more than Pistrucci's version? There, I said it! The WW is spectacular.

That’d make two of us being sacrilegious. 😉

And yes, I’d say William Wyon’s Una and the Lion and St. George and the Dragon are among my favourite coins.

37 minutes ago, SilverPlatinum said:

Thanks westminstrel for the video. 😀 👍

I'm thinking of ordering the 2 ounce set now.

It looks that the capsule would allow you to view the coin edge lettering, please correct me if I'm wrong........

Yes they’ve designed these capsules specially for this range so that the edge lettering is always visible.

59 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

I know, St Helena, EIC...... But EIC's Una also looks fantastic. Sometimes you can be really surprised by what they launch. 
I would be interested to know if the RM mints these coins.

combined3790.jpg

I feel like the RM deliberately went in a different direction this year, because with the prior three Great Engravers releases, these other mints also diluted the uniqueness and saturated the market.

If I mistake not, EIC has made Una and the Lion an annual series with a different design each year. Way to piggyback on the name of a numismatic icon. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

😍😍😍

William Wyon.

A G Wyon

Edgar Bertram MacKennal

This would be amazing to see in a new series.

One thing to note about the designs you’ve shared, is how St.George went from naked to a full suit of armour. Which ironically coincided with the ‘norms’ of the time that they were produced.

I much prefer the naked depiction. There’s a sense of strength in his vulnerability. But to be honest I couldn’t imagine fighting a dragon naked or clothed.
Maybe that’s just me. 😆

5 hours ago, Foster88 said:

But to be honest I couldn’t imagine fighting a dragon naked or clothed.

Maybe that’s just me. 😆

In all fairness though, in all of the designs George is on a horse, with weapons, fighting a 'dragon' no bigger than a Golden Retriever...

I'd fancy my chances, naked or not!

5 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I much prefer the naked depiction. There’s a sense of strength in his vulnerability. But to be honest I couldn’t imagine fighting a dragon naked or clothed.
Maybe that’s just me. 😆

I would need to be wearing a tank, minimum.

46 minutes ago, Crogoblin said:

I’ve purchased 2oz silver set yesterday. Got a shipping notification this morning, the coins should arrive tomorrow 

Wow that’s quick!!!

I’m still waiting for my 1 Oz silver Bull of Clarence and 1 Oz silver Britannia.