• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

39 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Yes, that's the whole point of this coin :D 

Grading it will be pointless, except maybe in 2oz gold where the edge are still visible

Edited by Frenchie

No gold for me this time, and the same feeling as others about the risk taken,

moreover at a 50% price steeper than the Una...no way  

Got it in 2 oz and 5oz silver. However I am not sure if I'll keep the 5oz silver set or not later...Better to cancel than regret

10 minutes ago, AR03 said:

Or might be the graders make transparent cases for these

It could be spot on for the 5oz, but not for the 2oz silver (thick holder and no space for a visible edge). Even if it is possible, I am not sure that NGC will change their holders  for this release 

Does anyone know why their website needs to be down before a new release of a limited mintage coin (as many other are) Is this just to create hype?
They could easily add queue once you are inside the site and just want to visit the Great Engravers page, rather than the whole site being down until 9am.

Edited by Paw

31 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

I thought there were now rivets in the capsules because some of the mint staff found it too difficult to work out which way to turn to close the capsules.

Would have been nice to screw  the rivet in the middle of the coin in order to see the beautiful edge 😀

36 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Sales pace seems slow

It is. I was all set for this one, I have missed all the other engravers so far, and quite liked the look of this one.

But its way to expensive. The golds are out of my reach, and a £560 entry point for the silver is comical - £140 an ounce is sheer greed and likely most of them will have problems.

Not having the option to buy the coins individually like the gothic crown is a mistake I think.

It's a nice coin, but not for me at the price.

So my £560 will stay with me for now and go towards the Coronation sovereign.

Disappointed. Again.

4 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

It is. I was all set for this one, I have missed all the other engravers so far, and quite liked the look of this one.

But its way to expensive. The golds are out of my reach, and a £560 entry point for the silver is comical - £140 an ounce is sheer greed and likely most of them will have problems.

Not having the option to buy the coins individually like the gothic crown is a mistake I think.

It's a nice coin, but not for me at the price.

So my £560 will stay with me for now and go towards the Coronation sovereign.

Disappointed. Again.

Yeah, the entry point is high. Surely that will impact on resellers/flippers?

What were the others going for on the resellers market ?

2 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

but why are these two coin sets only

The answer is indeed obvious - because The Royal Mint decided so :) The reason is undisclosed, maybe it's just easier for them, anyway all coins will be sold out in couple of days.

6 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

There may be an obvious answer than I’m not aware of … but why are these two coin sets only? I like the coin but I don’t need 2x 2oz. Im not going to be displaying it. 

Ah.. the obverse..doh!!

Aaaahhh😉

5 minutes ago, ak74 said:

The answer is indeed obvious - because The Royal Mint decided so :) The reason is undisclosed, maybe it's just easier for them, anyway all coins will be sold out in couple of days.

I really like the 2-coin sets of the same coin, proof and reverse.  Especially for display.

However, in this case, having such a high minimum cost of entry seems pretty rough.  £140 per ounce is one thing, but having to buy 4 ounces minimum makes it difficult to swallow.

29 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

My personal opinion is that the 10 Oz  silver is the best option here.

The mintage is among the least at 156, even less than the 2 Oz gold, and the price isn’t too bad for someone who would have been able to afford the single 2 Oz gold coin if this were a single coin release. 

Being a fan of big coins, I agree.  I'd love to own them.  But that's a high price.

I think I'll wait it out and see what the market does.  Probably never see the 10ozs again because of the rarity.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

My personal opinion is that the 10 Oz  silver is the best option here.

The mintage is among the least at 156, even less than the 2 Oz gold, and the price isn’t too bad for someone who would have been able to afford the single 2 Oz gold coin if this were a single coin release. 

This set must be actually absolutely fantastic in hand. I want to sit this release out, but the longer this set is available, the closer I get to weeks of boiled potatoes with nothing and sleeping on the couch.

1 minute ago, dikefalos said:

This set must be actually absolutely fantastic in hand. I want to sit this release out, but the longer this set is available, the closer I get to weeks of boiled potatoes with nothing and sleeping on the couch.

Buy it. Receive it. Don't love it. Return it. 

6 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

I’m sure it will look fantastic the way they’ve chosen to present the set, but indeed the price tag coupled with the chances of imperfect coins is imo too much to deal with.

1 hour ago, Charliemouse said:

Being a fan of big coins, I agree.  I'd love to own them.  But that's a high price.

I think I'll wait it out and see what the market does.  Probably never see the 10ozs again because of the rarity.

Yeah there seems to be a decent market somewhere for these chunkier versions; they always seem to mostly disappear.

2 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

The thing that keeps tempting me is the unique presentation, the unusual capsule to show off the edge text. 

It may not seem much but how much true innovation do we see in modern coins? At least it stands out

Go for it my friend. You can always change your mind later.