• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

My bet is that the next Great Engravers will see even lower mintages because these are not selling well.  Certainly not as well as I expected.

Edited by JeffM

11 hours ago, JeffM said:

My bet is that the next Great Engravers will see even lower mintages because these are not selling well.  Certainly not as well as I expected.

This coin was never going to do well, in my humble opinion, and I have said so from the start.

Yes, the new capsules and the set look sexy, and the Royal Mint can market it as part of the prestigious Great Engravers series, and the mintages can be reduced, and we can will it to perform well, but the fact is it is a reproduction of a coin that has a nice backstory, but not a design that anyone ever desired.

Even though most collectors may not have heard of Una and the Lion, the Three Graces, or the Gothic Crown before, the designs were awe inspiring and had a timeless beauty that people genuinely desired to add them to their collections.

The Petition Crown is none of these things. 

If today’s coin was a reproduction of William Wyon’s St. George and the Dragon, as an example, we’d be having a very, very different conversation right now.

Edited by westminstrel

16 minutes ago, JeffM said:

Not selling well? Before covid there was no item that sold out on the RM website. So I would say they are doing quite well with only 600 odd left on release day. For 2oz silver that is.

People who have came into this since covid expect everything to sell out but that was never normal. 

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

This coin was never going to do well, in my humble opinion, and I have said so from the start.

Yes, the new capsules and the set look sexy, and the Royal Mint can market it as part of the prestigious Great Engravers series, and the mintages can be reduced, and we can will it to perform well, but the fact is it is a reproduction of a coin that has a nice backstory, but not a design that anyone ever desired.

Even though most collectors may not have heard of Una and the Lion, the Three Graces, or the Gothic Crown before, the designs were awe inspiring and had a timeless beauty that people genuinely desired to add them to their collections.

If today’s coin was a reproduction of Benedetto Pistrucci‘s St. George and the Dragon, as an example, we’d be having a very, very different conversation right now.

I agree with you on the Una and the Lion. The other designs were purely profit motivated. 

6 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

Not selling well? Before covid there was no item that sold out on the RM website. So I would say they are doing quite well with only 600 odd left on release day. For 2oz silver that is.

People who have came into this since covid expect everything to sell out but that was never normal. 

Being from the U.S. and a collector of U.S. Mint issues, I guess I am used to coins selling out extremely quickly.  Collectors and flippers here are quite rabid.  We have had mintages of 25K to 50K (and more) sell out in minutes.  Before the Mint set up things to slow down the bots, the website was overrun and customers could not get through.  It was a nightmare.

1 minute ago, JeffM said:

Being from the U.S. and a collector of U.S. Mint issues, I guess I am used to coins selling out extremely quickly.  Collectors and flippers here are quite rabid.  We have had mintages of 25K to 50K (and more) sell out in minutes.  Before the Mint set up things to slow down the bots, the website was overrun and customers could not get through.  It was a nightmare.

I have no experience buying from the US. It was the same here but only started during covid for people trying to flip. Now its back to normal times I think. People are skint. They are back to thinking you must be mad to pay £560 for 4ounces of silver. Only collectors will probably buy this. In the future if hype comes to the series again people will say why did nobody buy this at the time. Same as the Una. At the time people said £180 for 2 ounces of silver don't be stupid. I returned mine with milk spots for a refund thinking that was almost a big mistake there paying that for some silver and how wrong was I. 

To be honest, I have posted my thoughts on this previously so no reason to repeat myself but I kind of respect the RM for sticking to their guns on this - the series is the Great Engravers and they’ve taken a leap with Simon and an historically important coin. Simon was a next level engraver for his time so fits the remit.

All logic suggests RM knows what sells and know there are numerous designs which would appeal to the masses more than this one but they’ve gone with something different. The designs are very nice and look good but definitely not everybody's cup of tea but credit to them for sticking to the remit, spirit of the series and picking something a little different. 

Now if they lower the premium, mintage a bit more and re-create a coin maybe with a man riding a horse stabbing a dragon I’ll be on noodles again to ensure I have a chance to own it

Steve

17 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

Indeed. It was the 2017 Sovereign that slowly started it, and the unexpected success of the 2019 Una and the Lion clinched it.

People automatically assumed almost every Royal Mint release would be as successful, which led to FOMO, sell outs, and secondary market prices going bonkers.

I expect the Petition Crown will be quite easily available at slightly above issue price on the secondary market eventually. Which will be great for buyers because their money would have earned interest in the bank by then. So that extra bit they pay a few months or years from now will have evened them out.

That’s my thinking anyway.

I went for the 2 Oz silver and will perhaps go for the 5 Oz silver if it’s still available tomorrow. If not, oh well, an extra £1,000 for the Coronation coins.

1 hour ago, Fitness2all said:

How do we know how many sets are still available of these? 

There are 2 ways:

to make a bookmark once and use it every time you need:

or just right-click in the browser, open page source and find the string needed:

6 hours ago, Frenchie said:

No gold for me this time, and the same feeling as others about the risk taken,

moreover at a 50% price steeper than the Una...no way  

Got it in 2 oz and 5oz silver. However I am not sure if I'll keep the 5oz silver set or not later...Better to cancel than regret

Is canceling easy? Im in the US. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Fitness2all said:

Is canceling easy?

Yes, just write "please cancel the order number ..." through webform and usually next day or even the same day you get cancel confirmation to email.

That's applies only to commemorative coins, of course, and before they started to prepare the shipment.

https://www.royalmint.com/contact/

Edited by ak74

11 minutes ago, ak74 said:

Yes, just write "please cancel the order number ..." through webform and usually next day or even the same day you get cancel confirmation to email.

That's applies only to commemorative coins, of course, and before they started to prepare the shipment.

https://www.royalmint.com/contact/

Thank you so much.

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

If today’s coin was a reproduction of Benedetto Pistrucci‘s St. George and the Dragon, as an example, we’d be having a very, very different conversation right now.

dnw-george-v-pattern-crown

Wyon's Pattern Crown would have been nice to have in this series  

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Indeed. It was the 2017 Sovereign that slowly started it, and the unexpected success of the 2019 Una and the Lion clinched it.

People automatically assumed almost every Royal Mint release would be as successful, which led to FOMO, sell outs, and secondary market prices going bonkers.

I expect the Petition Crown will be quite easily available at slightly above issue price on the secondary market eventually. Which will be great for buyers because their money would have earned interest in the bank by then. So that extra bit they pay a few months or years from now will have evened them out.

That’s my thinking anyway.

I went for the 2 Oz silver and will perhaps go for the 5 Oz silver if it’s still available tomorrow. If not, oh well, an extra £1,000 for the Coronation coins.

I would really love to keep my own 2oz gold set going - but not going for this at launch.  

Hopefully i may find a pre graded 70 of the "crest-side"  coin.  If a set is spilt up at auction over this year

If past releases are anything to go by like the Gothic Crown i should be able to get one for just able RRP 

Wouldn't really be fussed about the portrait coin 

I know this has been launched as a set but can see flippers doing what flippers do grading and splitting them to raise most cash if they can make £12k in a hurry once the credit card comes due  

I like these - but recently received my 5 coin sov set, but that's had to go back, as the quintuple had a mark on it and the double had an issue and the quarter was in the foam wonky - so all in all I reckon someone in their qc was on an all nighter before they looked at mine.

I do like the 5oz silver set in these though...tempted