• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

5 hours ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

On the bright side, maybe we will have less issues with opened capsule during transit (?). 

Anyone know how these capsule holds together? I have not seen such coin capsule before. 🙂

Not 100% sure but it looks like it might be hex screws.

15 hours ago, marston59 said:

I brought 2x 2oz silver sets and 1x 2oz gold set, anybody sending for grading?

I may send 1 set and keep the other in Royal Mint display box.

Just received Royal Mail delivery info for tomorrow.

I bet the gold are stunning in hand. Too dear for me in one swoop sadly :(

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I bet the gold are stunning in hand. Too dear for me in one swoop sadly :(

Like the British Monarchs range, I wish they had started doing these in 1 Oz, especially starting from this year, given the rise in gold prices. It would’ve made the gold versions a bit more attainable.

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Like the British Monarchs range, I wish they had started doing these in 1 Oz, especially starting from this year, given the rise in gold prices. It would’ve made the gold versions a bit more attainable.

I don’t think they can because of the edge inscription.  The coin would be too small for the inscription.  I assume that’s why there is no silver 1 oz.

29 minutes ago, JeffM said:

I don’t think they can because of the edge inscription.  The coin would be too small for the inscription.  I assume that’s why there is no silver 1 oz.

They only used about half the edge width of the 2oz silver coin for the petition text.

In any case, the thickness of the original Petition Crown is only 3mm, and if I mistake not, the thickness of the 1oz silver and 1oz gold coins are about the same.

They never had the 1oz silver and gold denominations in this range to begin with.

Happy for @marston59 I have a 2 oz and 5 oz coming, but it seems shipments to the US and not dispatched quite as quickly as the UK.  I think they call that “home court advantage “.  

I will try to remain patient waiting for a Tudor beast, some Britannia’s, a few odds and ends, and now Thomas Simon………

I’m surprised that this set has not sold better.  IMO, the design is beautiful, the edge lettering is unique, and the capsules look terrific and highlight the coins well.  I guess most people buy to flip, and this may not be a flippable coin.

52 minutes ago, JeffM said:

I’m surprised that this set has not sold better.  IMO, the design is beautiful, the edge lettering is unique, and the capsules look terrific and highlight the coins well.  I guess most people buy to flip, and this may not be a flippable coin.

I’m not surprised. 🙂

This coin will be picked up by collectors who want it for their collections. It was never going to be one for the flippers looking for immediate profit.

I suspect it will go up in value, eventually, if the actual mintages end up being lower than the max, and once they are sold out from the Royal Mint and other dealers, and people feel like they’ve missed out and decide to add them to their collections.

Also, setting aside the choice of the coin for this series, I also think the timing couldn’t be worse for a 2-coin set - there’s the cost of living which most everyone is being impacted by, and then there’s the imminent Coronation in a few weeks which collectors are preparing for.

7 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I’m not surprised. 🙂

This coin will be picked up by collectors who want it for their collections. It was never going to be one for the flippers looking for immediate profit.

I suspect it will go up in value, eventually, if the actual mintages end up being lower than the max, and once they are sold out from the Royal Mint and other dealers, and people feel like they’ve missed out and decide to add them to their collections.

Also, setting aside the choice of the coin for this series, I also think the timing couldn’t be worse for a 2-coin set - there’s the cost of living which most everyone is being impacted by, and then there’s the imminent Coronation in a few weeks which collectors are preparing for.

Well reasoned and on point. I think this could surprise down us down the road. When not easily available. Perfect storm of reasons NOT to buy today have made this release what it is 

12 minutes ago, Paul said:

Well reasoned and on point. I think this could surprise down us down the road. When not easily available. Perfect storm of reasons NOT to buy today have made this release what it is 

I think it's possible, as I've said before to me it's the unique presentation that I think will make this memorable. I haven't bought yet but the longer that 5oz silver us available the harder it is to resist.

29 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

I think it's possible, as I've said before to me it's the unique presentation that I think will make this memorable.

Until the coins get sent off for grading and the unique capsules and pretty box are rendered useless. 😏

6 hours ago, jason94151 said:

just wondering is this the first time these types of capsule came out from the royal mint?

Also is there any more coins from Thomas Simon that he known for so that I can see what I might be expecting for next year. 

Yes, it’s a first for these capsules.

And I have a feeling the RM will be reassessing its strategy with this range after this latest release.

1 hour ago, Chrisplym said:

My RM thought that the coin would sell out in minutes like the previous releases. How wrong she was! Maybe this is a wake up call for the Royal Mint?  

I hope it is! 🙂

26 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Yes, it’s a first for these capsules.

They have also used two-part perspex capsules held together with the same type of metal hex screws in the past, but only for larger small-run coins (e.g. 2 kilo gothic crown)