• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Elizabeth II "Piedfort" Gold Proof Sovereign Platinum Jubilee

Paul

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Keep an eye on it - payments would naturally drop off your transaction list after a few days anyway if the item hasn't been dispatched yet. It doesn't necessarily mean they've refunded you.

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Keep an eye on it - payments would naturally drop off your transaction list after a few days anyway if the item hasn't been dispatched yet. It doesn't necessarily mean they've refunded you.

Huh ? It’s already been refunded I said the money is back in my bank.

1 minute ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Huh ? It’s already been refunded I said the money is back in my bank.

Oh right, I wasn't 100% sure what you meant given that you hadn't asked for a refund and the order is showing as still in progress.

If you see a transaction for your payment, plus a second transaction for the refund, then there's nothing to worry about. If the balance has come back but there is no longer any corresponding transactions showing in your statement, then the order likely is still in progress and the amount will be taken again when it's ready for dispatch.

20 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Oh right, I wasn't 100% sure what you meant given that you hadn't asked for a refund and the order is showing as still in progress.

If you see a transaction for your payment, plus a second transaction for the refund, then there's nothing to worry about. If the balance has come back but there is no longer any corresponding transactions showing in your statement, then the order likely is still in progress and the amount will be taken again when it's ready for dispatch.

The balance is back in my account. And that’s it. When I placed the order it was pending from my bank for about a weeek now it’s just back in my account. They won’t attempt to take it again as it’s a card payment not a direct debit lol.

1 minute ago, Ukbullionfan said:

The balance is back in my account. And that’s it. When I placed the order it was pending from my bank for about a weeek now it’s just back in my account. They won’t attempt to take it again as it’s a card payment not a direct debit lol.

Actually yes they will lol, everything @paulmerton says is how the RM works... take the payment and by law can only hold payment so long ( if service can't be carried out within a certain number of days) then payment comes back, but unless you have cancelled order..the payment will be taken again just before dispatch. There has even been a few instances where payment wasn't taken until after delivery of coin.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Actually yes they will lol, everything @paulmerton says is how the RM works... take the payment and by law can only hold payment so long ( if service can't be carried out within a certain number of days) then payment comes back, but unless you have cancelled order..the payment will be taken again just before dispatch. There has even been a few instances where payment wasn't taken until after delivery of coin.

What about if there’s no money in the account ? Lol

Just now, Ukbullionfan said:

What about if there’s no money in the account ? Lol

Well obviously you can't take nickers of a bare arse 😂😂 they will probably just try a few times, then send an email to advise updating payment method ( I assume)

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

Well obviously you can't take nickers of a bare arse 😂😂 they will probably just try a few times, then send an email to advise updating payment method ( I assume)

Yeh but as you said , in some instances they taken the money after the coin was delivered. Which I find strange tbh. I mean they send the coin then attempt to take the money after and can’t ? The. What? Do they get the queen beefeaters took turn up at the persons gaff ? Lok

Just now, Ukbullionfan said:

Yeh but as you said , in some instances they taken the money after the coin was delivered. Which I find strange tbh. I mean they send the coin then attempt to take the money after and can’t ? The. What? Do they get the queen beefeaters took turn up at the persons gaff ? Lok

Well I just assume it's regular customers and also rare instances that this happens, happened to BYB a few months ago and a few others before that.

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

Well I just assume it's regular customers and also rare instances that this happens, happened to BYB a few months ago and a few others before that.

Well I’m glad they given me back or not taken the money yet anyway. Seems like a lot of people are not happy with the quality .

Just had a call from a random at Royal Mint trying to offload a Piedfort 2022 Sov and the 5 Sov Matte BU one.

So they still have stock if you want one?

Could be returns though. 🤷‍♂️ 

I declined, I’m sure I can pick one up cheaper in the near future 😉 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

18 hours ago, Goldfever20 said:

I couldn't agree with you more, I will be sending my one back aswell, but I so f....ing wanted one.😡

5 Sovereign arrived yesterday but only managed to have a good look today (under a loupe and good light) spurred on by the posts here, really could not believe what I found, on the reverse 2 very noticeable "dings" and at least 12 flecks on the frosting, the obverse was not much better, at least 10 spots of missing? frosting. I have only been involved with gold coins for a few months and this was my first major purchase from RM, not impressed and very disappointed.

The coin is going back, as james32 said "once seen it can't be unseen" a major learning curve and all thanks to you guys!

Cheers

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

Well just when you thought that the RM couldn't get anything else wrong...

Today my five sovereign piece arrived.  The only problem was that actually two of them arrived.

I then checked my credit card transactions online and yes indeed - two payments had been taken, and on two different dates.

Thankfully it hasn't breached my credit card limit, but I didn't order two coins and cannot pay this credit card bill at the end of this month without having to move money from elsewhere.

I will email the woman whom I've been dealing with recently.  She, and the other two people I spoke with recently on the phone have been genuinely nice and helpful.  But someone, somewhere at the Royal Mint has taken the money twice and sent me two coins.

On the positive side, the coins are very nice.  One appears to have no noticeable flaws under a 10x loupe, the other has a couple of tiny flaws but at least one of them may actually be something in the capsule, rather than on the coin.  It's still very good.

But I'm really not very happy.  I don't even have access to a printer at the moment so can't even print out a returns slip myself.

😠😠

1 minute ago, Stuntman said:

But I'm really not very happy.  I don't even have access to a printer at the moment so can't even print out a returns slip myself.

At least you get to choose to keep the better one 😜

Also, you should be able to do an RM return using the QR code they send you. Just flash it at the post office and they'll scan it and print the label for you. Never needed to include a returns slip inside the parcel.

Tricky, isn't it.  Some people might find it OK to live with those small flaws, I don't feel that they detract from the overall coin too much.  You're well within your rights to return it though anyway.

Edited by Stuntman
spelling

12 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

After reading all the comments above I’m quite happy I got a refund now. May I add I didn’t even ask for a refund but the transaction got sent back to me without Any reason. I don’t think they accepted my payment even though the order is still in progress. Very strange indeed. Royal mint doesn’t seem to be very reliable. 

Look at it as money back to spend on something else,rather then a coin that might be a problem selling if you ever need to etc.

I returned a 2oz Monarchs King George the other day to,As that was a ****ing mess :P 😂but £185 back to spend on something else.

the amount of returns and really bad coins is getting to much from the RM.

Having looked at the pictures of @Goldfever20's coin again after receiving mine - I would be tempted to keep the coin if I was him or her, and wanted to hold it for the long term.  You may get a better one as a replacement but I would say the odds would be against you (assuming that you are happy with the obverse on your coin).

Good luck with your decision.  I know it's a lot of money and I can see why you might want a replacement or refund.

12 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Having looked at the pictures of @Goldfever20's coin again after receiving mine - I would be tempted to keep the coin if I was him or her, and wanted to hold it for the long term.  You may get a better one as a replacement but I would say the odds would be against you (assuming that you are happy with the obverse on your coin).

Good luck with your decision.  I know it's a lot of money and I can see why you might want a replacement or refund.

Thanks for your comment @Stuntman

Well, you are right my coin isn't looking as bad as some other coins presented here. In my case is just that little black dot on 3 o'clock which I am concerned about. I don't know what that might be and how would that affect the value of the coin if I would like to sell in 10 years time. 

I don't belive a replacement would be any better. So my thoughts are:  refund or keep it??? What would you do?

I'm a  collector more than I am a stacker.  Like you, I really wanted this coin and I have saved up for some months in order to afford it.  Personally I would keep it, live with it, and be happy with it.

On very close reinspection, the better of my two coins may have one or more very tiny flaws on the reverse.  These may actually be inscribed on the die, rather than a flaw with the coin.  Who knows.  
I suspect that the majority of newly-minted BU and Proof coins (never mind the bullion) from the RM will have 'something wrong' with them somewhere if you look closely enough. 

My advice would be to enjoy the coin as a whole, as a beautiful object.  It's big and lovely.

34 minutes ago, Goldfever20 said:

Thanks for your comment @Stuntman

Well, you are right my coin isn't looking as bad as some other coins presented here. In my case is just that little black dot on 3 o'clock which I am concerned about. I don't know what that might be and how would that affect the value of the coin if I would like to sell in 10 years time. 

I don't belive a replacement would be any better. So my thoughts are:  refund or keep it??? What would you do?

It’s a shame to see so many poor quality coins yet again from RM.

I was in a similar position to you when I received my SOTD 2022 sovereign. Part of the frosting was missing on the first ‘2’ in the date.

I contacted RM and they said I could return it for a replacement but they couldn’t guarantee a replacement due to the low mintage.

I took a few days to decide and kept looking at it in different light and it’s barely visible to the naked eye.

In the end I decided to keep it, being struck to mark an occasion that we’ll never see again in our lifetime, the low mintage and the possibility of them being highly sought after in the years to come.

If I was ever to sell it I’d of course tell any prospective buyer about the missing frosting and having seen others STOD 2022 sovereigns on here, most had slight ‘nicks’ of missing frosting.

I suppose in the end it’s down to your own decision and if you feel confident you’d get a replacement if you returned it.

Had the damage on mine been in more places and very noticeable I’d have probably returned it. But don’t let my decision influence yours.