• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A safe place to park 100k?

Its remortgage time & im cashing in on my local area property price top out. 
I had a valuation today and was quite shocked at how much she said it was worth. 
I know where i live is probbaly one of the best roads/areas for 3-4 beds, 
But it was 20k over my highest estimate & 100k more than what i bought it for 5 years back. 
The highly experienced estate agent event said 'it probably wont last more than 7 months'

Im probably going to hold it & wait for the property market to turn & bottom again. 
Having a high yielding rental property makes sense especially if its picked up cheap. 
But this could take 10 years though & interest rates might be a lot higher so I would need a fair chunk to bring down rates.
The way I see it is its free money as long as I dont want to sell the house. 

My problem for the time being is choosing an investment that will yield a profit but not do a 'POLYMETAL' on me. :) 
Any ideas folks? Spreading it about makes sense, so open to suggestions. ;) 
I am not the most patient investor as members on here can testify.
I have missed a dozen of 10-20x baggers, from selling too early, so I need to be careful. 

And I just dont feel comfortable holding it in a bank what with the laws & restrictions going on ATM. 
If the stock market crashes hard though (2020 x 2)I would not blink before going balls deep into commodities. ;) 

I could also chuck a fair wedge into my BUS (Beaten Up Stocks) investment strategy as thats working OK. 
Needs more time though. 

Edited by Stacktastic

50k on hookers and cocaine, then do something frivolous with the rest😄

I wouldn’t draw down unless you have a strong proposition mate. I was considering drawing from my mortgage to get a wind turbine. Reckon it would pay for itself in around  8 years, especially if fuel prices keep going up. I’m really on the fence, especially as noticed the early repayment charge on the new mortgage offer sits at 5% for the 5 year term. Always check the details. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

When you say you have 100k available do you mean if you remortgage? 

If so watch your loan to value as if we do have a crash borrowing 100k of 'equity' would possibly put you outside of your agreed deposit to value. 

If you want to park it a friend of mine who is an experienced property invester was offering very good rates as he was pushing developments, I did some bridging for him recently, repaid no problem. 

On 08/03/2022 at 19:41, Stacktastic said:

A safe place to park 100k?

I park mine in the garage most nights!

😎

On a more serious note:

Its remortgage time

Really? why?

Probably better to de-mortgage.

I had a valuation today and was quite shocked at how much she said it was worth. 

Probably telling you what she knows you want to hear!

The highly experienced estate agent event said 'it probably wont last more than 7 months'

Jerry built, then?

The way I see it is its free money...

There  is no such thing as free lunch, beer, money, postage. 🙂

Any ideas folks? Spreading it about makes sense.

That was my mantra as a teenager.

And I just dont feel comfortable holding it in a bank what with the laws & restrictions going on ATM. 

So keep it in your property. Your home is probably one of your best investments.

... and be glad you live in UK not Ukraine!

Chards

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Cash out, down size and become mortgage  free if you are not all ready...........

Paying off all debt is a life changer and no one owns you.

Great advice.

Was always told paying off your mortgage is like removing a millstone around your neck.

If you can do it before hitting 40, it’s way less stress as you age.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/03/2022 at 20:57, Thelonerangershorse said:

Not exactly safe, but bitcoin looks like an interesting choice about now.

No thanks ;) 
I will wait until it hits $20. Trust me I will load up if thats happens. 

On 09/03/2022 at 23:06, CANV said:

just get a 100k smaller mortgage  

yes totally. 

On 10/03/2022 at 21:13, Stu said:

50k on hookers 😄

Rather get on Tinder. Normal ish girls and a lot cheaper - easlily impressed. 
Not sure my wife would be that impressed though. 

On 10/03/2022 at 21:19, Griffo said:

When you say you have 100k available do you mean if you remortgage? 

I was dreaming and realised my best asset it my house. 
Im very lucky to have a great place to live. 

On 13/03/2022 at 15:56, LawrenceChard said:

Probably better to de-mortgage.

Thanks for the advice. 
I remortgaged in the end. 10 years 2.08%. 

On 28/03/2022 at 08:00, GoldDiggerDave said:

Cash out, down size and become mortgage  free if you are not all ready.  It's nice to have investments and look like a finical whizz sometimes the most boring and conservative actions will serve you better in the long term.   Paying off all debt is a life changer and no one owns you.

We are all programmed to think we are better off when we earn more money,  the reality we are far more better off when we are paying less out.  I look at reducing outgoing as increasing my income value.    

Money is not fungible like it's  taught.   A £10 note in ones persons hands is not worth £10 in the next persons when you look at income/outgoings ratio. 

£10 in my hands =  3.33% of my monthly outgoings commitment 

£10 in my friends hands = 0.66% of his monty outgoings 

He needs to earn £50 per hour to everyone of my £10 per hour just to keep the same ratio.  

I know some people with great jobs earning loads but their outings are moronic and what for a 4x4 and a bigger house?    We make ourselves slaves no one else needs to do it for us.  

One of the best posts I've seen in a while. Food for thought

• 2 months later...
On 25/04/2022 at 18:03, Bars said:

One of the best posts I've seen in a while. Food for thought

Thanks Man - one out of at least 100 threads I have started at least one has a fan. 😛 
I got a little obsessed with this, but I do 
tend to hyper focus. 

Its made no difference as Im out of pocket with a tax bill & stock losses. 
But I have realised the law of abundance & how to surrender to the universe & then the money comes. :) 

Edited by Stacktastic

3 hours ago, Stacktastic said:

Thanks Man - one out of at least 100 threads I have started at least one has a fan. 😛 
I got a little obsessed with this, but I do 
tend to hyper focus. 

Its made no difference as Im out of pocket with a tax bill & stock losses. 
But I have realised the law of abundance & how to surrender to the universe & then the money comes. :) 

Just like Dave said, sometimes the boring stuff is all you need. Before I signed up to the forum, I read a lot of your posts as you flooded the forum LOL (stacktastic forum?). But, they were a lot of questions I had myself, what to do with x? how long in order to achieve x? etc. But after taking a few losses and reading a few posts I'm going to keep the investing simple. I think we bother suffer from information overload. 

52 minutes ago, Bars said:

But, they were a lot of questions I had myself, what to do with x? 

exactly - its something your not taught by design so isa revelation to me. like a child in candy store. 
On retrospect though a decent income stream based on integrity & passion & love is key. 
A true passion built on energy usually follows wealth when not lead by the ego. 

Wait on the cash and stick it in a variety of things the right time. 
most importantly right now I think stack valuable tangibles, like PM's - inc. food and water. ;) 
Sorry for cluttering up the forum, but thanks for the kind words. 

You will hear a lot less of me now as I am moving as im all info'd up now. 😛 

Edited by Stacktastic

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use