• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Oh no not another !!!

10 minutes ago, goldhunter said:

Apparently the Royal Mint are releasing another coin series next week entitled "British Monarchs" and starts with Henry VII.

Spread over 3 or 4 years with 3 to 4 releases per year.

Coins available in sizes 1,2 and 5oz gold and silver.

My head is totally done in !!!

Do you have a link with further info?

Westminstrel found this a few months ago. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Well, that's me, potentially, not eating for the rest of the month. 😩

The inferior man argues about his rights, while the superior man imposes duties upon himself.

He who has a why can bear almost any how.

Every act of beauty is a revolt against the modern world.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Driving us all to be like Royalty - Asset Rich and Cash Poor - only I don't believe the bit about Royals being cash poor it's just they don't know about money as everything is free.

Could you imagine old lizzy carrying a purse with a fiver and some loose change 🤣

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

4 hours ago, goldhunter said:

Apparently the Royal Mint are releasing another coin series next week entitled "British Monarchs" and starts with Henry VII.

The Gazette entry does not list 1 Oz gold.

Perhaps your source was mistaken about this part?

The gold denominations are 2 Oz, 5 Oz, and 10 Oz (piedfort).

The silver ones are the same.

If they’re doing 3 to 4 releases a year, that’ll be a huge investment for anyone aiming to collect the gold coins.  I wish there will be a 1 Oz gold.  I might be able to scrape through and manage that.

4 hours ago, James32 said:

Na after March I'm taking the rest of this year off.....going to end up homeless with a rucksack full of coins.

In this Rucksack you can live with your coin collection. And sell streetfood out of it. There is always a solution, if there is a will. Roofs, warm water and electricity are totally overrated. 

20220118_001436.jpg

12 hours ago, goldhunter said:

Ouch, 3 to 4 releases per year.

I don't plan on buying any other coins this side of the gothic portrait.

Obviously, I will take a look at the designs for this, but the release schedule seems a bit much, along with everything else that has been going on, and will be going on.

It seems relentless.

Historically royal portrait coins have bombed - often because they just aren't very good. Every mint in the world seems to have churned out similar stuff that can be found in bargain bins everywhere (if they haven't already been scrapped). These would need to be exceptional to have any chance of mass appeal. 

It smacks of running out of ideas and falling back on the old chestnuts.

The Royal Mint couldn't even generate enough interest with their bullion Lunar series.  So it was killed off after the Pig (7th coin into the series).

Other mints turning out decent lunar designs year after year had no such problem with demand.

This "British Monarchs" series definately won't have mass appeal. So all heads could be chopped after Henry VIII 😅

24 minutes ago, Happypanda88 said:

The Royal Mint couldn't even generate enough interest with their bullion Lunar series.  So it was killed off after the Pig (7th coin into the series).

Other mints turning out decent lunar designs year after year had no such problem with demand.

This "British Monarchs" series definately won't have mass appeal. So all heads could be chopped after Henry VIII 😅

If the first coin is based on the 1489 sovereign (as stated higher up on this page) then I can see it being very popular - but then will it devalue the novelty of the 1989 sovereign set which is based on the 1489 coin?

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

If the first coin is based on the 1489 sovereign (as stated higher up on this page) then I can see it being very popular - but then will it devalue the novelty of the 1989 sovereign set which is based on the 1489 coin?

Wouldn't they have trouble changing QEII's portrait on the obverse. I would imagine it'd be more like the Gothic crown, a two coin series.

The first coin being Henry VII on the throne, with her maj on the obverse, and the second coin having the tudor rose on the reverse and her maj on the obverse.

I guess they couldn't put it in the great engravers series as they wouldn't know who designed it.

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

The new coin will most likely not take away from the 1989 because they are different designs.

The 1989 Sovereign used the reverse design of the 1489 which was the Tudor Rose. And the obverse of the 1989 was of course QE II on the throne mimicking the obverse of the 1989 which was Henry VII enthroned.

The new coin’s design according the gazette (see the link to the other thread I posted above) is a portrait of Henry VII.  It might most probably be his portrait from the half groat - the inscription also matches the Gazette entry.

image.jpeg.6d6832fcf895a681d7457d140ad33609.jpeg

5 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

Wouldn't they have trouble changing QEII's portrait on the obverse. I would imagine it'd be more like the Gothic crown, a two coin series.

The first coin being Henry VII on the throne, with her maj on the obverse, and the second coin having the tudor rose on the reverse and her maj on the obverse.

I guess they couldn't put it in the great engravers series as they wouldn't know who designed it.

I think this series is just about the portraits of past monarchs.

In that case I guess it wouldn't necessarily be based off of a portrait of a coin, could be a famous painting or something like that.

I'm not sure why they kicked the series off with Henry VII, maybe Henry VIII or Queen Victoria would of been a better choice.

What would of happened to the great engravers series if it hadn't started with the Una design, might not be so popular now as a consequence?

Even though it wouldn't be a the top of my shopping list for coins to buy I'am interested to see what it looks like!

Customer Service mentioned to me yesterday that all the departments are extremely busy because the Platinum Jubilee range has been their biggest ever release to date.

I assume the big backlog of the 2022 Sovereign and Gorhic Crown coins are adding to the issue.

I can’t really see them releasing another range so soon.  Also, nothing has been teased (yet) on the website.

@goldhunter - Are you certain of a release next Monday?  

22 hours ago, dikefalos said:

In this Rucksack you can live with your coin collection. And sell streetfood out of it. There is always a solution, if there is a will. Roofs, warm water and electricity are totally overrated. 

20220118_001436.jpg

That reminds me of my army bergen I used to carry....

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454