• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Queen 2022 Celebration Sovereign

Jamson78

2 hours ago, Jamson78 said:

New to the collectable end. 

What are peoples thoughts on this coin, for £675 it seems steep but only 1200 mintage. 

Stuck on day of Queens 70th anniversary 

How do you think the demand will be? value over time etc.

Untitled.jpg

IMO SOTD sovereigns should be more sought after but they don’t come with massive hype, however they are picking up at some point in history these all will be worth huge money as any low mintage sovereign will always do well  problem is I don’t  think it will be in most of our lifetimes, they are nice to own, and many previous coins can still be bought cheap on the secondary market. 

12 hours ago, Jamson78 said:

What are peoples thoughts on this coin, for £675 it seems steep but only 1200 mintage. 

Untitled.jpg

11 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Hey man, it’s being discussed here:

9 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

IMO SOTD sovereigns should be more sought after but they don’t come with massive hype, however they are picking up at some point in history these all will be worth huge money as any low mintage sovereign will always do well  problem is I don’t  think it will be in most of our lifetimes, they are nice to own, and many previous coins can still be bought cheap on the secondary market. 

I thougth they were already out!

But then I have been otherwise pre-occupied so far this ski season.

It's about time the RM started making the Struck On the Day sovereigns in advance. (I wonder if they actualy do?)

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

I thougth they were already out!

But then I have been otherwise pre-occupied so far this ski season.

It's about time the RM started making the Struck On the Day sovereigns in advance. (I wonder if they actualy do?)

😎

Of course they do Lawrence. 

That's why they ( likely will) end up with scratches, they keep dropping tudor panthers on them!

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

@LawrenceChard I very much doubt they will be winding up the presses and paying the staff double time for working  Sunday……..doubt they have even thought about that yet. I’d like to see these low minted sovereigns hand stamped with a the COA mintage number on the truncation, would make it more interesting than the tiny digital privy mark. 

14 hours ago, Jamson78 said:

Untitled.jpg

The demand for this will be high and it will most likely sell out in minutes..but the price is too much for me

Not that I can't afford it..but I'm not prepared to lay out £675 for this Sovreign albeit a SOTD...

3 hours ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

The demand for this will be high and it will most likely sell out in minutes..but the price is too much for me

Not that I can't afford it..but I'm not prepared to lay out £675 for this Sovreign albeit a SOTD...

It’s pretty much the price at which the 2022 Proof Sovereign is going at today. And remember the SotD has a tiny mintage in comparison to the Proof.

3 hours ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

The demand for this will be high and it will most likely sell out in minutes

I doubt there will be many on offer on the day, most will likely have been allocated to dealers and reserved for those with account managers.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Just now, sovereignsteve said:

I doubt there will be many on offer on the day, most will likely have been allocated to dealers and reserved for those with account managers.

Totally agree..as mere mortals....the bullion dealers and RM's special clients with Account managers will be given special priority  before they go on sale before the 6th of Feb. Nature of the beast...we will be lucky if there are a 100 coins available to purchase..and with the typical queue on release day will be lucky if we sign on and be 5000 in the queue......its who you know at the end of the day..me, I'm not even going to bother buying on the day from the RM...and not going to buy dealers premium prices for these coins for sure....

Thought what the heck and bought one as a pre-order. Paid £800 for me EU strike on the day Sov and this will join it. Lots of history and first of a kind for this Sov, unlikely to see another one and yes with a big demand, gettin one on the morning will be tough no doubt.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

On 17/01/2022 at 16:44, LawrenceChard said:

Struck On the Day sovereigns in advance.

'Struck On A Day'? Even works better as an acronym;

"Got me the new SOAD sov' the other day"

"Yeah, for which celebration?"

"The Thursday after the Queen's eldest corgi thought it's tail was a snake" 

Seriously though, out of all the SoTD coins this one is likely to fare reasonably well in the future what with the nature of the event.

44 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

'Struck On A Day'? Even works better as an acronym;

"Got me the new SOAD sov' the other day"

"Yeah, for which celebration?"

"The Thursday after the Queen's eldest corgi thought it's tail was a snake" 

Seriously though, out of all the SoTD coins this one is likely to fare reasonably well in the future what with the nature of the event.

Yes, I reduce it to an acronym - SoD

It could be Yorkshire or Lancashire - Struck on't Day.

😎

Chards

Isn't this whole "Struck on the Day" thing a rather expensive exercise in milking coin collectors with another faddish item at exorbitant premiums? Reminds me of the craze for GB Commemorative FDCs, struck on the day, in the 1970s and 1980s. Where are these pieces of colourful paper now?

1 minute ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

Supermarket (not mentioning any names) sell value baked beans or branded baked beans in nicer packaging.....same beans,sauce,taste....you just pay more for a brand name and more importantly packaging..same beans....think about it!!!!

That analogy really doesn't work in this case, does it?

Just now, paulmerton said:

That analogy really doesn't work in this case, does it?

Well...I'm just trying to get over the fact that a jubilee platinum sovereign whether a proof or struck on the day is still the same sovreign.  You just pay extra for the SOTD edition with fancy packaging....No????

On 17/01/2022 at 04:11, Jamson78 said:

Untitled.jpg

Go for it if you are lucky enough to get one....most of the dealers and high end clients have already had them reserved for them....unless you have a family member in a high position in the RM then your sorted..🙂

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I'm surprised they don't charge us more for the coin as the are striking it on a Sunday..........Anne Jessopp will lose her Sh.T when she see the overtime wage budget that month! 

Whats even more surprising to me is the tours they are running that day. 8am to 8pm with a new group starting the tour every 20mins. They'll likely take even longer than normal given most who are going are probably there to get the max allocation of the SYO coins. Gonna be a busy day for them!

30 minutes ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

Well...I'm just trying to get over the fact that a jubilee platinum sovereign whether a proof or struck on the day is still the same sovreign.  You just pay extra for the SOTD edition with fancy packaging....No????

Regardless of the doubters, this sovereign is unique.  A one-off reverse.  Celebration of an event potentially no one will ever witness again.  Plain edge rather than milled and limited to 1,200.    

Only you can decide whether it's worth the money or not.  

4 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Whats even more surprising to me is the tours they are running that day. 8am to 8pm with a new group starting the tour every 20mins. They'll likely take even longer than normal given most who are going are probably there to get the max allocation of the SYO coins. Gonna be a busy day for them!

I don't know if this is any different to normal, but you can only stamp one coin yourself on the Jubilee tours.

If you want to buy up to two more then they give you ones that they made earlier.