• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

8 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

The Alderneys were £460 for the set. The Mint are releasing over two dates. I’m going to say the price for the 2oz will be c.£255 (as per 3G) for the coins individually so you’re right on the mark re £500 ish.

No disrespect to the Alderney mint but they are not in the same class as the RM..Although I've been told different!!!!

23 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

No disrespect to the Alderney mint but they are not in the same class as the RM..Although I've been told different!!!!

What class do you mean?  Do they have better production,  quality control, finish, design? Always open to other peoples opinions so happy to hear you explain the levels of "class".  I made a fortune selling RM 3 graces but hold a EIC pattern 3 graces and the quality of that blows the RM away.  I've bought the Alderney Island set for fun and the finish is better than any RM silver proof I've had....   

Blinded by the RM buzz? Don't get me wrong I'll be chomping at the bit to buy them but won't hold any RM silver as it's a ticking time bomb. 

8 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Sorry I would like to comment..I think the Alderney mint is a fine mint..but everytime I make a comment...positive or negative I get warned...just can't say anything anymore in case I upset certain people...its a shame I can't express my views but it is the way it is on here....say something wrong and you get a warning.....🙄🙄🙄😷🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄😷

No mate I don't get up set, I'm happy to hear other people opinions,(its the only way to learn) It's just very easy to be blinded by a brand over  the actual quality.  For me the best silver proofs by far I've had in may hands are Perth mint, utterly pin sharp strikes and fields more reflective than a mirror.  (and miles cheaper than the RM) 

It's easy to over look smaller mints just because they don't have the kudos of the RM.  TBH The RM have been trading on image over quality for a long time.  but again that's just my opinion.  Nothing wrong with having open debate. 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave
typo

If i had to make a choice between a Commonwealth or a Royal Mint Gothic Crown for the same price, of course i would take the original. But would i pay more for one raw RM coin, than for the Alderney PF70 set? No way, especially after i saw the quality of this set with my own eyes. And i really like the young portrait of Elizabeth by Jody Clark on the Alderney set also. 

It is the wording on the Royal Mint email--"The Great Engravers Collection, which will continue with the first of two coins", being released very soon.

I would take that to mean that the first coin will be released, followed then by the second at a later date.

If the second (or vice versa ) has 300 less coins issued there will be a few people banjaxed who wanted the set.

Just now, Wampum said:

It is the wording on the Royal Mint email--"The Great Engravers Collection, which will continue with the first of two coins", being released very soon.

I would take that to mean that the first coin will be released, followed then by the second at a later date.

If the second (or vice versa ) has 300 less coins issued there will be a few people banjaxed who wanted the set.

The mintage figure will be consistent across the two releases.

1 minute ago, blackadder said:

Im more looking forward to that Kermit the Frog coin lol 😂

Ive heard his fingers stink of pork!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

You guys do know there is not actually a Kermit coin being released by the Royal Mint, right? 

Almost fell for it but you're trying to get them all for yourself 😁

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

10 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

That's anyone's guess..hoping under £500 for the 2oz silver but could be totally wrong.....

9 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

But if they release 2 coins could be looking at the £500 mark..Guess it's a wait n see....🤔🤔🤔🤔

Well, yes. But that's not happening on the 6th of December as the original question (there will only be 1 coin). "The 2oz silver.." implied at least to me you were referring to 1 coin.

7 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

You guys do know there is not actually a Kermit coin being released by the Royal Mint, right? 

Now you have really spoilt it.......These muppets on here though they were getting their own currency!!!!!!!😜😜

Dose anyone know how the sale of these coins will work with it being 1 of 2 coins? The obvious thing to do will be for the RM to offer this as a mini series on purchase but I'm not holding my breath, if they do they will not need to do a 2nd launch as everyone has snapped them all up by 9:03am on the first day and makes the whole idea of a second launch pointless they will just be fulfilling ordered rather than launching a new coin.

The problem here guys,  I can see the coin offered as a 2 coin series, but also offered as a single.........If they do this it will be a complete disaster 

Might get 50% of a mintage offered as a 2 coin series the other 50% as a single coin,  we know this would be a total cockup but does the RM? 

I can't see there being a good solution, unless they offer 100% of the mintage as a guaranteed 2nd coin. It feels wrong to essentially split one coin over two coins, and leave it open that people may only get one.

I don't think they will offer all as a guaranteed 2nd, maybe a relatively small percentage.

I think it's guaranteed to be a cockup in this respect, and might have an interesting dynamic on the secondary market.

I'd have thought it's a done deal that they'll do the two Gothics as a "mini series". That would explain why they started "training" us customers with the opt-in concept with the 2022 Sovereign orders. 

Edited by jultorsk
typo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

I'd have thought it's a done deal that they'll do the two Gothics as a "mini series". That would explain why they started "training" us customers with the opt-in concept with the 2022 Sovereign orders. 

I hope you are right. But if it is, makes releasing two coins separately a bit of a non event ? 

Edited by NewCoins

I think they will offer some of them as Mini series, like the Tudor Beasts. A secondary market on fire, cause hundreds, or thousands of collectors going crazy to get the coin they missed, is anything than bad for upcoming releases for the RM. Just bad for collectors. And we know how much mints care about collectors money and problems...

37 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

I hope you are right. But if it is, makes releasing two coins separately a bit of a non event ? 

Sustained publicity and "buzz" in the coin community... not to mention spreading of production capacity into more manageable batches... I think they did not even have a choice. 🤷‍♂️

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken