• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Capsuals or Tubes? Your preference?

Hi.

I'd like to know how you all stack your precious metals,especially Silver bullion?

Gold PM's we wrap up in cotton wool and sleep with them under our pillows....haha..joke😆

Personally with my Silver bullion coins I keep everything in capsuals preferably with the foam inlay and then in a coin drawer box. I've never liked tubes....buying say 5 x 1oz Britannia's as an example I've seen stackers throw them in their tubes..Next month another 5 and so on...Now I know its Bullion but storing this way can damage your coins,dents scratches etc.....milkspotting,well nothing we can do to avoid that really...Maybe I'm a bit OCD but...I want my coins even though just bullion to be kept in the best condition possible.

So how do you all store your bullion coins????

I currently have my coins in capsules and just like you i want to keep them in the best possible shape, so don't even want to take my silver bullion out of the capsule if i can help it. I actually just purchased some tubes today here on the Silver forum from @morezone who has tubes large enough to hold coins inside of the capsule so you get the best of both worlds. 

Capsules in a coin box in a safe, with plenty of silica bags... if i buy in tubes i take them out and put the in capsules... i have a day where i get in my counting room and get all giddy and cover myself in peanut butter looking at my stack!!!

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

I have capsules on coins i have one or a few of, or one off peices I really like. Most of my stack was bought by tubes and I haven't messed with the mint seal. So I just store in tubes mostly.

Except 2 tubes of athenian owls I enjoy rubbing my hands on and am thinking of using them as ''betting chips'' in family games on holidays. I am lucky enough to have some silver, might as well enjoy it :) 

1 hour ago, Gordy said:

i have a day where i get in my counting room and get all giddy and cover myself in peanut butter looking at my stack!!!

Are you sure you arent a navy veteran?😁

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

32 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Are you sure you arent a navy veteran?😁

And.... too many weeks spent in hills in West Germany living the life setting up comms and relaxing in shorts and flip flops.. so yeah i guess a mixture between the Navy and the RAF Regiment...😂

Is "capsuals" some sort of Royalist English spelling? Here in the Land of the Free it's capsules.

We use Ziploc snack bags for loose ounces. Capsules are a needless waste of money for silver bullion. The thing silver needs protection from is the air, especially the sulfur in the air which causes tarnish. You just need a decent seal, and so far a Ziploc bag serves well. I've never had any tarnish with them.

Capsules don't do anything useful unless you want to throw the coins at walls or something that requires impact resistance.

Tubes are for tubes, meaning 20 or 25 coins or rounds, depending on the mint. They're free when you order those quantities, and they prevent tarnish so they're great. I almost always order tube quantities because retail silver premiums are too high on small quantities.

There's no significant scratching because the tubes aren't being filled piecemeal – they come already full, so there shouldn't be any messing around with coins going in and coming out.

To make money on retail silver, what a lot of you call "physical", you need to be very disciplined about costs. Or even if you just don't want to lose money, you need to be disciplined. Lots of people lose lots of money on retail silver bullion. A good way to lose money is to buy piecemeal, one ounce here and there, small quantities. And then to buy fancy capsules, antitarnish strips, etc. You really shouldn't buy anything but the silver – your margins are too precarious already with the premiums. For knee-benders in the UK you're already in a hole because of your VAT tax on investment precious metals. Until you people do something about that VAT, contact your reps, etc. there's just no margin for stuff like capsules. Just buy tubes and don't pay VAT and you have a fighting chance of profiting.

4 minutes ago, Bimetallic said:

Is "capsuals" some sort of Royalist English spelling? Here in the Land of the Free it's capsules.

We use Ziploc snack bags for loose ounces. Capsules are a needless waste of money for silver bullion. The thing silver needs protection from is the air, especially the sulfur in the air which causes tarnish. You just need a decent seal, and so far a Ziploc bag serves well. I've never had any tarnish with them.

Capsules don't do anything useful unless you want to throw the coins at walls or something that requires impact resistance.

Tubes are for tubes, meaning 20 or 25 coins or rounds, depending on the mint. They're free when you order those quantities, and they prevent tarnish so they're great. I almost always order tube quantities because retail silver premiums are too high on small quantities.

There's no significant scratching because the tubes aren't being filled piecemeal – they come already full, so there shouldn't be any messing around with coins going in and coming out.

To make money on retail silver, what a lot of you call "physical", you need to be very disciplined about costs. Or even if you just don't want to lose money, you need to be disciplined. Lots of people lose lots of money on retail silver bullion. A good way to lose money is to buy piecemeal, one ounce here and there, small quantities. And then to buy fancy capsules, antitarnish strips, etc. You really shouldn't buy anything but the silver – your margins are too precarious already with the premiums. For knee-benders in the UK you're already in a hole because of your VAT tax on investment precious metals. Until you people do something about that VAT, contact your reps, etc. there's just no margin for stuff like capsules. Just buy tubes and don't pay VAT and you have a fighting chance of profiting.

'Royalist English Spelling' ... 'Knee Benders'... 'You People'  nice way to make friends!! its a typo.. nowt to do with Royalists...or knee benders or other... 

On regular bullion, I try to order in tube sized portions as well. I'll not open sealed tubes. I won't know if there is milk spots or tarnishing inside - it's a neat arrangement 🤗

Collectible bullion like Queen's Beasts I keep in capsules. I'll keep single bullion coins in capsules. A friend of mine is collecting standard bullion date runs which he encapsulates for display. Along that line.

Silver is complicated 🤫

Buy gold 😉

1 hour ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Both!D6A89269-BFE5-47C0-A531-CD512187E18F.thumb.jpeg.a1c2ddde82f1e056e5a9ecca80bfed71.jpeg

Those tubes don't look too dissimilar to urine specimen bottles. Should point out I know this from a professional standpoint rather than a urinary problem standpoint!

They look better with this yellow stuff in them...

Edited by TheShinyStuff
Typo

8 hours ago, Bimetallic said:

@Bimetallic ...."You people " Really???? 😄 I think from your post and I could be wrong,you prefer tubes? Which is fine that's what this thread is about Capsules or Tubes! I was going to edit my typo on capsuals but I think I will leave it now..have a nice day in the land of the free...

Regards from the English Royalists🇬🇧

Currently I don't have enough coinage to worry about capsules, tubes, slips or ziplock bags.

When I do, for Silver it will be tubes whilst Gold, capsules in tubes... unless it all gets lost in a boating accident 🤨

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to their stacking and collections and how you believe personally the best way to store..........Tubes or capsules or both...I was curious just to find out how everyone protects and stores their PM's to keep them in the best condition...🙂🙂🙂

On 11/08/2021 at 01:40, CollectorNo1 said:

@Bimetallic ...."You people " Really???? 😄 I think from your post and I could be wrong,you prefer tubes? Which is fine that's what this thread is about Capsules or Tubes! I was going to edit my typo on capsuals but I think I will leave it now..have a nice day in the land of the free...

Regards from the English Royalists🇬🇧

Tubes in large part because the economics of silver sort of mandate that stackers deal in tube quantities. I might have obscured that. That reality makes capsules somewhat moot, unless you wanted to use capsules for each coin or bar in a tube, but I don't imagine anyone would want that expense.

Capsules are expensive and hard to open, especially Air-Tites, the flagship brand out there. I think there's probably some non-zero number of stackers who have cut themselves trying to pry open a capsule with a knife or scissors at some point. Not a huge percentage, but an easy to imagine scenario if you assume thousands of people out there trying to open capsules.

Capsules are only relevant for stray pieces, anything not purchased in tubes. For those stray pieces I just use Ziploc Snack Bags, because they're smaller and less flippy-floppy than the sandwich bags. If I ever want to add some silver to my stack, maybe a specific coin, I order a tube to get a better price per ounce. For example, last year during the dip before the pandemic, I ordered a tube of silver Kangaroos, which I've always wanted. The tube is free and the price is lower than singles, so it's a double-win!

The economics of silver bullion require a lot of discipline in controlling costs, so I never buy stuff like Kangaroos piecemeal. Then you also have to buy a capsule if you were going that route. I never pay sales taxes on bullion, shipping to my parents if I have to in order to avoid tax, and I never buy capsules or containers beyond the Ziploc bags. All that helps to improve profitability and reduce the extent of losses if silver goes down after I buy. I also only buy during dips or lows, never during the frenzies.

On 10/08/2021 at 21:41, CollectorNo1 said:

Hi.

I'd like to know how you all stack your precious metals,especially Silver bullion?

Gold PM's we wrap up in cotton wool and sleep with them under our pillows....haha..joke😆

Personally with my Silver bullion coins I keep everything in capsuals preferably with the foam inlay and then in a coin drawer box. I've never liked tubes....buying say 5 x 1oz Britannia's as an example I've seen stackers throw them in their tubes..Next month another 5 and so on...Now I know its Bullion but storing this way can damage your coins,dents scratches etc.....milkspotting,well nothing we can do to avoid that really...Maybe I'm a bit OCD but...I want my coins even though just bullion to be kept in the best condition possible.

So how do you all store your bullion coins????

Throw em to the tubes though normally they come in tubes. I bought a 'tube' of kookaburras a while back and they were in individual capsules wrapped together which I find a bit annoying. Prefer the straight tubes like brits or maples. 

Stacking more plastic than silver at that rate 😂

'junk' silver I've seperate the purities in seperate bags but getting to the point where I'll see if tubes can save some space on those compared to just loose bags. 

The gold I'm swapping out odds and ends gradually sticking with tubes of sovs and 1 oz for future purchases unless I see a really good deal. Sovs for fractional and 1 oz I think makes the most sense