• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

@PolarPanda A glorious pic, and doesn't that setting just show it all off perfectly?!! If you don't mind helping a real newbie get some idea, are there three proofs there among those beauties?

No camera yet so please forgive me if I shouldn't post here (?). I got some trays of 2016 and 17 Pandas today (I am in love with these trays) and my first roll of Kooks, woohoo! A few Brit anniversarys too, though I probably won't bother again with those after my bad experiences with the regular ones (Brits are still worth stacking I'm sure, just not at any sort of premium for me).

On 2017年5月1日 at 19:45, Oldun said:

2016 Peter Rabbit just hopped in.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great looking set now and got the 2017 Peter Rabbit bought with all the other 2017 characters bought on pre order. :) Beautiful series and I also have something special coming regarding this series but wont say anything until it arrives :) :ph34r:

Edited by Oldun

19 hours ago, kimchi said:

@PolarPanda A glorious pic, and doesn't that setting just show it all off perfectly?!! If you don't mind helping a real newbie get some idea, are there three proofs there among those beauties?

No camera yet so please forgive me if I shouldn't post here (?). I got some trays of 2016 and 17 Pandas today (I am in love with these trays) and my first roll of Kooks, woohoo! A few Brit anniversarys too, though I probably won't bother again with those after my bad experiences with the regular ones (Brits are still worth stacking I'm sure, just not at any sort of premium for me).

Thank you for your kind words my friend! No there are no proof coins in that picture, they are all BU. :) 

2015 1/2 oz gold PF libertad variety "detached wing " back from NGC. They forgot my Mexico label so it will have to go back. 20170509_164321.thumb.jpg.f75ed1ed98f512add8696ce26ef6dca7.jpg20170509_164332.thumb.jpg.70b8cf7ae3adf8f9e8e8bf895f6c601b.jpg20170509_164528.thumb.jpg.148406e122142540b18266aea0ffe9b1.jpg

Cool to get the variety designation. It will be even rarer with Mexico label.

None of these are mine but I did receive them.

Two very very delightful deliveries as you can see ...

IMG_3432.JPG

2 full sets of 5 proof 2017's and I am in love with the 5 sovs...these are for grading

IMG_3414.JPG
IMG_3416.JPG
IMG_3415.JPG

A 1902 matte proof set of 11 coins selling for a friend and going on eBay on Thursday for a 10 day low start auction.

None of these are mine but I did receive them.

Two very very delightful deliveries as you can see ...

IMG_3432.JPG

2 full sets of 5 proof 2017's and I am in love with the 5 sovs...these are for grading

IMG_3414.JPG
IMG_3416.JPG
IMG_3415.JPG

A 1902 matte proof set of 11 coins selling for a friend and going on eBay on Thursday for a 10 day low start auction.

Will this auction be open for U.S. buyers?

Worldwide with free postage included..and if you win it I will bring it to Florida and post it from there ....

On 06/05/2017 at 12:37, sg86 said:

1872 Full - Melbourne mint, R according to marsh, seems in pretty good condition so happy with this pickup at 270

Interesting one this, it has perplexed me at times. (yes I'm sad:D)
According to MM "rare" as you say but mintage of 750k includes the G&D design from that year as well. The latter being given the designation "Scarce".
I've never noticed this as being in short supply at all and the market doesn't put a premium on them.

1872 Half - "Nose to T", but with a die number? "86". Marsh's says that only the branch mints have versions of this coin, so wondering if there are other examples?

Which edition of MM are you referencing? It doesn't say that in mine but the years 1871 and 1872 saw a few changes and version of half sovs. I don't think MM has all the answers for these years and you need to collate his information with the Spink varieties to try to get to grips with the identification. There are a few different busts used for the obverses and it's not that easy to differentiate them unless you put them side by side. Yours fits nicely into Spink 3860C and MM has that die number listed for 1872 but his classification doesn't run to the individual sub-types. It's still a valuable coin whichever way you look at it.

1875 Half - Noticed the Die number is unrecorded in Marsh "305", who will keep records of new discovered dies going forward?

MM is getting quite old now, the first edition was 1982, new die numbers were being recorded all the time and no doubt have continued to be so since the last edition in 2004.
TBH I'm not really convinced we need a full record of these numbers, I don't see the benefit. I don't think the mint has such a record, we don't really know why they were used and nobody is going to try and collect every die number for every year anyway.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

According to MM "rare" as you say but mintage of 750k includes the G&D design from that year as well. The latter being given the designation "Scarce".
I've never noticed this as being in short supply at all and the market doesn't put a premium on them.

Which edition of MM are you referencing? It doesn't say that in mine but the years 1871 and 1872 saw a few changes and version of half sovs. I don't think MM has all the answers for these years and you need to collate his information with the Spink varieties to try to get to grips with the identification. There are a few different busts used for the obverses and it's not that easy to differentiate them unless you put them side by side. Yours fits nicely into Spink 3860C and MM has that die number listed for 1872 but his classification doesn't run to the individual sub-types. It's still a valuable coin whichever way you look at it.

MM is getting quite old now, the first edition was 1982, new die numbers were being recorded all the time and no doubt have continued to be so since the last edition in 2004.
TBH I'm not really convinced we need a full record of these numbers, I don't see the benefit. I don't think the mint has such a record, we don't really know why they were used and nobody is going to try and collect every die number for every year anyway.

Die numbers?

There are quite a lot of die number collectors out there - me included! Although it will be no surprise I started collecting the sixpences rather than the other denominations and as far as I know no one has managed to get them all for each denomination although I know someone who is very close to the full set for florins, shillings and sixpences. There are ~800 basic ones for the sixpences and I started to get regularly outbid for rare numbers and/or high grade examples which meant after 20 years I have almost given up - last time I checked we do have all the sixpence die numbers between my collection and a couple of others. It does mean lots of lower grade coins though?and a slabbed full set would be of immense numismatic importance - if it wasn't for the cost I could send at least another ~600 to Numi for grading??

The recent Bentley collection of sovereigns significantly updated the list of known die numbers for these.

I could go through all the possible reasons proposed for die numbers on coins from 1864-1879 but that's a longer story?

4 hours ago, Quicksilver said:

A few Recent additions. 2017 proof half and full sovereign. Thanks to the help of @RegalStacker

Two gold Queens beast lions. 1864 shield back and a 2014 India half sovereign.

IMG_9626.thumb.JPG.a11a577c4d889f0c0a23ebba45efdfe1.JPG

Splendid! Do you happen to know the maximum mintage of these? RoyalMint only shows "over 60% already reserved" but no numbers. Thanks, Aaron 

Edit:

Found these numbers: 8,500 for the 1 oz. silver, 1,500 for the 5 oz. silver, 2,500 for the ¼ oz. gold, and 750 for the 1 oz. gold.

Can anyone confirm these?

Edited by Aaron

2 hours ago, SilverTanner said:

Die numbers?

There are quite a lot of die number collectors out there - me included! Although it will be no surprise I started collecting the sixpences rather than the other denominations and as far as I know no one has managed to get them all for each denomination although I know someone who is very close to the full set for florins, shillings and sixpences. There are ~800 basic ones for the sixpences and I started to get regularly outbid for rare numbers and/or high grade examples which meant after 20 years I have almost given up - last time I checked we do have all the sixpence die numbers between my collection and a couple of others. It does mean lots of lower grade coins though?and a slabbed full set would be of immense numismatic importance - if it wasn't for the cost I could send at least another ~600 to Numi for grading??

The recent Bentley collection of sovereigns significantly updated the list of known die numbers for these. 

I could go through all the possible reasons proposed for die numbers on coins from 1864-1879 but that's a longer story?

I stand corrected. You are a hero sir!:)

I know some people take an interest in die numbers on sovereigns but I'm not aware of anyone making a serious attempt to collect them all.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

5 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Thanks, always appreciate your comments :)

About the 72 half, i was looking at the first edition half sovereign book, for london mint coins it doesn't say anything about the nose to T variant, but in the Sydney mint table it says:

"1872* Obv. Victoria's nose points to T in legend"  * This year only.

Does your newer edition show this in the London mint table then?

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

30 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I stand corrected. You are a hero sir!:)

I know some people take an interest in die numbers on sovereigns but I'm not aware of anyone making a serious attempt to collect them all.

I think the Bentley collection has been the best attempt to do this for the sovereigns and even with his very very deep pockets he didn't get there. He really did try - having a list kept with every dealer/auction house with the numbers he had missing! Others do this for the other denominations - even me?

I wish auctions/dealers would consistently put the actual die number on the listing and the TPGs on the label rather than just 'die number' as the pics don't always allow you to see it - it is very annoying having to keep asking what it is only to get told you are the 10th person to ask today (pet hate?)

2 minutes ago, SilverTanner said:

I think the Bentley collection has been the best attempt to do this for the sovereigns and even with his very very deep pockets he didn't get there. He really did try - having a list kept with every dealer/auction house with the numbers he had missing! Others do this for the other denominations - even me?

I wish auctions/dealers would consistently put the actual die number on the listing and the TPGs on the label rather than just 'die number' as the pics don't always allow you to see it - it is very annoying having to keep asking what it is only to get told you are the 10th person to ask today (pet hate?)

I will maybe attempt all numbers for a certain year :)

I'm looking at collating the information for a database, had the idea a few weeks ago but the amount of work is a little daunting, we'll see :)

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Splendid! Do you happen to know the maximum mintage of these? RoyalMint only shows "over 60% already reserved" but no numbers. Thanks, Aaron 

Edit:

Found these numbers: 8,500 for the 1 oz. silver, 1,500 for the 5 oz. silver, 2,500 for the ¼ oz. gold, and 750 for the 1 oz. gold.

Can anyone confirm these?

Not sure on the mintage of the Queens Beast ¼ proof.

500 disappeared from the amount available. About six days later the remainder vanished and they became no longer available. Within hours they were sold out everywhere.

Received a little Britannia proof set with a mintage if 250 I ordered yesterday with a couple of swans..Thx Mo![emoji6]
IMG_20170510_114714.thumb.jpg.58ef4a026994f9ee194b77100f4d5e3b.jpg
IMG_20170510_115106.thumb.jpg.5c3f95d2e8daa34a91c1880d6bd3f672.jpg

Did you pay a premium on the Britannia set? What did it go for?
Received a little Britannia proof set with a mintage if 250 I ordered yesterday with a couple of swans..Thx Mo![emoji6]
IMG_20170510_114714.thumb.jpg.58ef4a026994f9ee194b77100f4d5e3b.jpg
IMG_20170510_115106.thumb.jpg.5c3f95d2e8daa34a91c1880d6bd3f672.jpg

Did you pay a premium on the Britannia set? What did it go for?