• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

5 minutes ago, 1moreoz said:

First bit of gold arrived today from atkinsons. Excited to finally get back into gold. First time I’ve owned a sovereign. I really like them, how would I find out a bit more about sovereign coins ? I was going to buy 10 but atkinsons only had 7 left so just went with 2 brits and 2 sovs but next time if they have stock I’ll grab more sovs.

8F57FADD-DB2A-4A41-A7CB-CF18E8B9DF78.jpeg.8a1b068b8e2d48368a961e2b966cfa90.jpeg6244EB2D-3A0B-4104-BE11-7B9507517C50.jpeg.7e98c8b093b1ba6cbfee3e9d72f0d300.jpegCCD1CE2B-1B39-47E2-A899-E7B676C6F14F.jpeg.902d190da87502c89750b38f64fe04cc.jpeg30014913-97BC-49F8-9898-9C6E52D4D9BC.jpeg.78b2cf32fb12c8c4e758300a4308e504.jpeg

You can always find lots of Sovs for sale on here. Price usually on par with the big dealers. Just check out the Sales thread.

37 minutes ago, 1moreoz said:

First bit of gold arrived today from atkinsons. Excited to finally get back into gold. First time I’ve owned a sovereign. I really like them, how would I find out a bit more about sovereign coins ? I was going to buy 10 but atkinsons only had 7 left so just went with 2 brits and 2 sovs but next time if they have stock I’ll grab more sovs.

If you want to know something about sovereigns, then there are 3 books of interest:

• Marsh, The Gold Sovereign.  This has some background, along with mintage figures and assessments of rarity of every sovereign produced up until 2021.
  • Allen: Grading British Coins.  This has pictures of all major obverse and reverse devices on every British coin produced between the end of the 18th century and 1970 or so - in a range of grades.  It's a good way to teach yourself about how to assess the condition of sovereigns as you can compare your coin to the examples in the book.
  • Spink: Coins of England and the United Kingdom: Annually published catalogue of all British coins with representative valuations at various grades.  Get the current (2023) edition.
Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

3 hours ago, 1moreoz said:

8F57FADD-DB2A-4A41-A7CB-CF18E8B9DF78.jpeg.8a1b068b8e2d48368a961e2b966cfa90.jpeg6244EB2D-3A0B-4104-BE11-7B9507517C50.jpeg.7e98c8b093b1ba6cbfee3e9d72f0d300.jpegCCD1CE2B-1B39-47E2-A899-E7B676C6F14F.jpeg.902d190da87502c89750b38f64fe04cc.jpeg30014913-97BC-49F8-9898-9C6E52D4D9BC.jpeg.78b2cf32fb12c8c4e758300a4308e504.jpeg

So yellow😍😍😍😍😍💖💖💖💖

4 hours ago, SheepStacker said:

Stunning 2003 1/4 Proof Brit from @SiCole

IMG_3230.JPG

coin p#$n right there😍😍😍

2 minutes ago, Heirlooms said:

I couldn’t resist. I picked up the 2oz King Charles III Coronation Proof Matte coin, only 100 mintage. I think I will get this one graded as it will sit nicely alongside my 2oz completer coin which also has a mintage of 100 😊

IMG_7150.jpeg

IMG_7152.jpeg

IMG_7154.jpeg

IMG_7160.jpeg

IMG_7163.jpeg

IMG_9476.jpeg

Marvelous pieces indeed 😍💖💖💖💖

32 minutes ago, Heirlooms said:

I couldn’t resist. I picked up the 2oz King Charles III Coronation Proof Matte coin, only 100 mintage. I think I will get this one graded as it will sit nicely alongside my 2oz completer coin which also has a mintage of 100 😊

IMG_7150.jpeg

IMG_7152.jpeg

IMG_7154.jpeg

IMG_7160.jpeg

IMG_7163.jpeg

IMG_9476.jpeg

They are some very fine examples of gold! sure to be a good investment in the years to come!

Good pics too! I think @Charliemouse's skills are rubbing off on the forum.

29 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

..please.. tell me you didn't..

FB_IMG_1689450067851.jpg

Not a chance even if he was giving it away.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

13 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

Got a lump of German gold today alongside a grubby Quarter-Sov.
The 20 Marks is very nice, the teeny sov not so. Being so small is it worth any remedial work or should I just treat it as bullion? (it has a COA).

DSCN4833.JPG

DSCN4834.JPG

DSCN4835.JPG

The sovereign - probably not worth doing anything with.  

The 20 mark coin - hard to tell because of the colour balance but it looks like the coin has some corrosion on it.  This will be a sort of brick red colour on the coin.  Conservation can remove this (it will come off chemically), and if you really want to do this, @GoldDiggerDave can help you there.  The coin is in fairly good nick - aboutEF or EF maybe - but it's probably not worth getting slabbed. This is often not worth it for circulated gold coins unless they're rare or in exceptionally good condition.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces32031.html

I think this is the coin you've got here - 1888 doesn't appear to be particularly rare and only seems to command a real premium in UNC condition, which suggests you're probably better off just enjoying the coin as-is.

P.S. Take a look at @Charliemouse's articles about photographing gold - they go into how to calibrate the colour balance (which is quite straightforward but needs a little grey that you can get for a few quid of Amazon.  If you're using a mobile consider getting the Opencamera app.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

27 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

2000 Perth Mint Dragon
Purchased a week or two ago from @Webster - just got around to getting some pics.

image.thumb.jpeg.1f018833092f7318859a4802153d858e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7f6d7ac2073f937e28eef91d4b61ab4e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.985dc1ca3f3248f532d551ccfa896b8c.jpeg

That's a beauty.  If you ever need cash...

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

5 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

The sovereign - probably not worth doing anything with.  

The 20 mark coin - hard to tell because of the colour balance but it looks like the coin has some corrosion on it.  This will be a sort of brick red colour on the coin.  Conservation can remove this (it will come off chemically), and if you really want to do this, @GoldDiggerDave can help you there.  The coin is in fairly good nick - aboutEF or EF maybe - but it's probably not worth getting slabbed. This is often not worth it for circulated gold coins unless they're rare or in exceptionally good condition.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces32031.html

I think this is the coin you've got here - 1888 doesn't appear to be particularly rare and only seems to command a real premium in UNC condition, which suggests you're probably better off just enjoying the coin as-is.

P.S. Take a look at @Charliemouse's articles about photographing gold - they go into how to calibrate the colour balance (which is quite straightforward but needs a little grey that you can get for a few quid of Amazon.  If you're using a mobile consider getting the Opencamera app.

Sorry for the confusion, the 20 Mark is just an interesting old bullion coin in my eyes. The Quarter I wouldn't have slabbed anyway, I just wondered if it was worth restoring and keeping in it's original Royal Mint proof type capsule, or even buying an original box for it too as I have the COA.

My camera is an old Nikon Coolpix 'cos I can't find anything decent to replace it with. Now everyone uses 'phones cameras outside of the DSLR seem to have gone down the pan.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

13 minutes ago, NGMD said:

Not a chance even if he was giving it away.

If he was giving it away, I'd take the hit for the team.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."