• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How many forum members as percentage have been scammed by new sellers

5 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I don't buy on TSF either.

Are there ever any absolute steals?

😎

Just off the top of my head, I can think of graded proof nuggets for about £20 over spot, a proof 1/10onza for the price of a bullion Britannia, silver krugerrands £6 less than dealers, and gold standards just above spot 😎

6 minutes ago, Solachesis said:

Just off the top of my head, I can think of graded proof nuggets for about £20 over spot, a proof 1/10onza for the price of a bullion Britannia, silver krugerrands £6 less than dealers, and gold standards just above spot 😎

Fair enough.

Doesn't come close to the 2 gold sovereigns we once bought for 1 penny each some years ago!

😎

Chards

I've been here for two years and never had a problem selling. I've gained a very small amount of feedback but some of this is from purchases. Perhaps buying something to gain feedback and trust is good step to take if you plan on being here a while.

You're already a silver premium member which should help too.

Edited by Iacabu

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

I've bought from a new member with zero feedback or history.

Thankfully it was a cash transaction at driving distance - otherwise I would have to think twice.

I think that's natural..

Edited by JohnA1

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

18 hours ago, Spyder said:

Hello to all forum members

This is a general question "How many forum members have been scammed by a new forum member who has decided to sell metals they had?

I keep seeing as soon as someone registered on the forum, the first thing everyone says to them is "only buy from sellers with plenty of feedback".

Now how is a new seller supposed to get feedback if no one buys from them.

Trust is a two way street. 

Send us what you are selling and when it arrives we will pay you I am told.

I have put up three listing for what I can see is very fair prices and no one was willing to trust me and the people who will benefit is not forum members but dealers in Hatton Garden this weekend. I was willing to meet buyers and do cash on pickup and have even offered to swap where I would still be trusting someone else to send me their metals in exchange for mine. 

I have purposely not bumped any of my listing as it is pointless as new member. 

So I ask the question again "How many members have been scammed by a new seller"

Spyder

Sorry that does not answer the question. How many have been scammed.

I guarantee if someone had been scammed it would be all over the forum

We are not talking about me, I am more interested in "have members been scammed"

Scammers are more likely to operate on ebay or facebook marketplace.

Very few would seek out this forum or even know about it

18 hours ago, James32 said:

We are talking about you, you started the conversation therefore you are front and centre. Your question would not have arose if your sales past smoothly.

The forum has a very low percentage of "scams" because between the active moderation team ( you won't see them but there watching 😂) and the integrity and effort of its members, stranger danger is often caught quickly and effectively!! It's nothing personal but we all had some hoops to jump through. It's what makes the place so successful and if you follow the sound advice already given, you will be the one handing out similar advice in the near future 😊

12 hours ago, scotwasp said:

I think it’s pretty easy, if you’re new why should anyone trust you, I’ve never been scammed, but I would never buy from anyone with no trading history unless they accepted payment on receipt, why would anyone.  If you have an excellent record as a buyer and a new seller  doesn’t trust you then , we’ll, it's not rocket science to be a wee bit careful.  
the reason I believe there isn’t many scammers here is most use sensible discretion.  I have often seen many of the big traders with impeccable reputations refuse great  deals from new members and then paying more than advertised, with payment on receipt.
there are so many honourable chaps here it heartwarming..

stick with it and you will be rewarded with fair deals and great camaraderie. 

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I have never tried to sell anything on TSF.

As someone pointed out some time ago, I have 0 (ZERO) trading feedback, so who would risk paying me upfront for anything?

Besides, @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer might wonder what was going on.

It's a tough old life!

😎

On a serious note, there have been many good useful answers, in contrast to my facetious one.

Although I have no experience of trading on TSF, I get a good impression that:

TSF is a community, unlike ebay, etc.

There is discreet moderation, which I guess works well in keeping buyers and sellers up to standard.

It is only common sense that new members are treated with some caution.

It may be worth mentioning that:

I still hear some of our Customer Service telephone conversations where a potential customer has asked "If I send you £x, how do I know I will get my coin(s)? How do I know the coin will be genuine?, etc.

Now we have only been around since 1964, so I guess it may take another 50 years or so before people stop asking.

Also, I sometimes notice a coin we have had on sale on our website for many years, and I don't know why it has never sold, despite in many cases, being too cheap.

😎

Chards

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

[ . . . ]

Now we have only been around since 1964, so I guess it may take another 50 years or so before people stop asking.

I don't think they ever will.  Some folks will always be a bit paranoid.

Maybe you could tempt them with free shipping.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I was waiting for someone to say that.

What took you 6 minutes?

😎

Glad I'm meeting expectations.  Do I get a raise now?

Away having a cup of tea.  What's your excuse?

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

3 minutes ago, SidS said:

Still trying to flog those Churchill crowns eh? 😁

I know about those.

It's because they are not RARE sTUNNING solid SILVER, like the ones on ebay!

😎

Just now, Silverlocks said:

Away having a cup of tea.  What's your excuse?

Not having a slave to bring it for me!

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

[ . . . ]

Not having a slave to bring it for me!

😎

You're in the wrong forum for that.

13 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Also, I sometimes notice a coin we have had on sale on our website for many years, and I don't know why it has never sold, despite in many cases, being too cheap.

Can I enquire about stocklist items/request main website listed photos through the info@chards email? I avoid telephone calls like the plague 

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Of course you can, but telephone conversations are more interactive.

😎

I'm sure! But I doubt that's the case for me. I am socially inept and I can't say no, so I'd be walking to the bank the next day with an invoice for a 50g bar, ready to get on my knees for the bank manager.

Just now, Solachesis said:

I'm sure! But I doubt that's the case for me. I am socially inept and I can't say no, so I'd be walking to the bank the next day with an invoice for a 50g bar, ready to get on my knees for the bank manager.

Too much dude 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I’ve only been here a yearish and purchased a few sovs off of people here. The first thing I looked at was the sellers feedback. If the seller had a low feedback I looked at their history, messages and interactions with the site which usually tells you all you need to know. Having been here for a year there are loads of members I wouldn’t even bother looking at their feedback before buying from now as I’d naturally trust them. As others have said, it’s probably the niche coins you are selling causing the lack of replies and not much to do with you being new and having no feedback. Had they been a handful of sovereigns at a reasonable price, you’d probably have sold them in hours. And in answer to your question, never been scammed on here 😀

16 hours ago, dicker said:

I have only encountered people on the forum who have been faultlessly honest and go out of their way to be fair decent.

My advice for new members is:

Join and pay for membership.  This means your name, address and bank details are know to the admin.  

If you are a new seller - send the coin before payment. Risk is low and you will build up a good reputation.

If you are a buyer - buy and build up feedback!

Forums are for sharing and not just “taking”.  Members who share interesting  photos, info, XRF results, news and opinions do well and have good reputations, which in turn adds to their credibility.

Lastly, be nice…it goes a long way.  No one knows absolutely everything but people will try and help you if you ask nicely. 

Best

Dicker

TV gif. Three dogs, "clapping."