• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Postal strike stopping you buying ?

pricha

I recently started to buy a few sovereigns from Hatton Gardens as they have free 10 month storage. I am using this facility whilst the postal strikes go on and hopefully will collect them later.  Are the strikes putting anyone off buying  at the moment. I feel for small dealers and businesses trying to make a living. 

Edited by pricha

2 hours ago, pricha said:

I recently started to buy a few sovereigns from Hatton Gardens as they have free 10 month storage. I am using this facility whilst the postal strikes go on and hopefully will collect them later.  Are the strikes putting anyone off buying  at the moment. I feel for small dealers and businesses trying to make a living. 

It’s made me think twice about buying but hasn’t stopped me

3 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Why should it put anyone off buying? I can understand why it would put people off selling.

Speaking for myself here, things go wrong at the best of times, so with the added faff of the strikes, it would only serve to increase the odds of something going wrong. 

What made me think twice was the hassle should anything not turn up.

17 minutes ago, codenamedtango said:

Speaking for myself here, things go wrong at the best of times, so with the added faff of the strikes, it would only serve to increase the odds of something going wrong. 

What made me think twice was the hassle should anything not turn up.

It would end up being much more hassle for the seller!

I've had a few bits on route via RMSD since Thursday, hopefully arriving tomorrow 🤞

I'm not too keen on sending anything at the moment, nor in early January after Xmas and the sales.

@pricha I may have to look into who offers free short term storage to keep the x1 per month habit alive...

Edited by CaptCaveMan

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

I've been thinking about buying something nice and shiny but the amount of stuff I buy for work that is arriving stupidly late or not at all is just ridiculous at the moment.

RM we know why they're having issues.

But DHL, DPD and Evri urgently need schooling. Between these they've lost/found/lost/buried 6K of security equipment that I would dearly like to nail onto some buildings.... Grrrrr!!!

On 11/12/2022 at 18:39, paulmerton said:

Why should it put anyone off buying? I can understand why it would put people off selling.

Would be needless hassle and unwanted stress for buyers and sellers. I rather fancy the idea of a day trip to London when the weather is nice to pick up a few sovereigns already bought , paid for.  Or if Royal Mail have sorted themselves out by then I could always  have them posted. 

Edited by pricha

So far I've not been put off. RMSD has been a bit slow for me but it has been coming through. In fact, sometimes they've been bringing me my normal post along with SD items, so I suspect I may be getting more normal post more often as a result. One cheaper item is coming via First Class Recorded but I can take the risk on that.

I don't want to get too close to Xmas with it, though. At some point soon if I buy anything on here I'll probably be asking the seller to hold off on shipping until the New Year.

Edited by Anteater

36 minutes ago, Mrpound said:

18FD952E-2D60-4D86-A2DC-826152A7BF14.gif

5EF75EA9-D121-4074-AF92-46E44ECDE7FA.gif

Don’t know how many times I’ve hit refresh on the RM tracking website in vain.. suprised it’s not went offline with others checking it too.

This was Bristol’s Mail Centre on Wednesday.... (1st picture not mine) and 2nd picture was taken by me on Monday.... so, to answer the question will it put me off buying... Hell Yes! I’ve got just under a £1k sat in there somewhere (hopefully seeing as one tracking is still in limbo between Southampton/Bristol! 

7E9B5F06-97B6-47C7-823D-63197691BE67.jpeg

EAC1E728-E7E7-49AA-A8E6-062643FAF5C0.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Fishface220 said:

This was Bristol’s Mail Centre on Wednesday.... (1st picture not mine) and 2nd picture was taken by me on Monday.... so, to answer the question will it put me off buying... Hell Yes! I’ve got just under a £1k sat in there somewhere (hopefully seeing as one tracking is still in limbo between Southampton/Bristol! 

I'm not sure if this is the same place, "Rats and foxes chewing Christmas parcels piled up outside Royal Mail depot, claims union":

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/12/13/rats-foxes-chewing-christmas-parcels-piled-outside-royal-mail/

fox

Leeds MC has piles and piles of unsorted stuff. Not enough people and space to sort it, not enough cages to put it in if it were sorted.

Basically forget it 'til 2023.

I have a kind work supplier who is doing a 250 mile run in a van to get me stuff. Only way he reckons!

19 minutes ago, MonkeysUncle said:

Leeds MC has piles and piles of unsorted stuff. Not enough people and space to sort it, not enough cages to put it in if it were sorted.

Basically forget it 'til 2023.

I have a kind work supplier who is doing a 250 mile run in a van to get me stuff. Only way he reckons!

A lot of the other delivery company’s are getting hit with the knock on effect of the back logs. Seems even trying to source another way of shifting stuff is a no no until after Xmas. 

Oh I ordered something off of Amazon yesterday and today it arrived, twas a nice feeling having something actually come the next day. 

The driver didn't bother knocking though. Looked at tracking and it was delivered, left in front of the door 🤷