• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Postal strike stopping you buying ?

pricha

6 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

Agreed.

I posted an ordinary letter on 7th, by 1st class signed for at my local post office, costing £2.35. The delivery aim was apparently the next working day according to the receipt they gave me.

Tracking shows it only as being received by my local post office.  Ithasgotten no further thant hat.

At least it was just paperwork and not PM's.  🙄

Not sure how long to wait before contacting royal mail about it.  I thought I would give them another couple of days so they have had 2 weeks.

4 weeks / 28 days before RM will entertain any claims or open an action for lost/stolen parcels

13 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

Agreed.

I posted an ordinary letter on 7th, by 1st class signed for at my local post office, costing £2.35. The delivery aim was apparently the next working day according to the receipt they gave me.

Tracking shows it only as being received by my local post office.  Ithasgotten no further thant hat.

At least it was just paperwork and not PM's.  🙄

Not sure how long to wait before contacting royal mail about it.  I thought I would give them another couple of days so they have had 2 weeks.

I'm still waiting on items posted last Tues by special delivery, but I've received an item posted Friday 😕 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

36 minutes ago, Barbielovesgold said:

Is Royal Mail the only delivery service that everyone uses on the trade section ? X

Evri, DHL and DPD are just as good at not delivering the goods is my personal experience the last few weeks. 

However I will callout FedEx who promised to shift a small box from my Yorkshire hideaway to a strange sheep filled cold place in 3 days. And did. 😊

(and no I didn't mean Wales... more NZ!)

1 minute ago, AaaGee said:

Anyone know how long an item should take ( coin in a box) 2nd class signed?

Its been a while. Wasnt a lot of money but id like to see it eventually.

Right now? Well due to the strike action, a recent purchase with special delivery 24 hours, took eight days. For you second class signed? Some time next year I would imagine🤔🫢

1 minute ago, modofantasma said:

I've had 2nd class arrive next day before but generally I'd expect 2 or 3 typically... At the moment with strikes I would avoid 2nd class for urgent deliveries from what I've heard although my own post has been mostly ok 

At work i have upgraded all deliveries to RM24 but tomorrow is the last day as Friday and Saturday strikes.

I hope the workers appreciate that the court of public opinion will be against them for striking so close to xmas.

33 minutes ago, SiCole said:

At work i have upgraded all deliveries to RM24 but tomorrow is the last day as Friday and Saturday strikes.

I hope the workers appreciate that the court of public opinion will be against them for striking so close to xmas.

To be fair we are seeing massive changes in this country since the government in its wisdom decided to let more than half the population sit at home and do nothing for two years ( postal workers kept working ).  The strike is not even about wages. The average age of a postal worker is mid 50s and beyond.  As a huge amount of people in the country in this age bracket have decided they no longer want or need to work the postal workers have decided that they won't accept new conditions more suited for a 20 year old student desperate for beer money. The Royal Mail will die out like the miners but what is left is not going to be any better in any circumstances.  

Interestingly the majority share holder of Royal Mail is a Czech billionaire.  I  don't think he is interested in a loss making company and if some blokes coin posted last week hasn't arrived.  But Royal Mail do own an absolute huge portfolio of land.. imagine how much Mount Pleasant in London would be worth to developers.  As everything in this country of worth has been sold off to foreign interests maybe people should be asking questions of the government rather than blaming postmen. 

Just now, Barbielovesgold said:

All these comments are making me scared to buy or sell :( X

If buying, I'd ask seller to delay postage till the new year.

Is selling, I'd most certainly wait till the new year to post ( obviously agree this with buyer)

Whilst the strikes have been ongoing for months, December had an awful lot close together causing a severe backlog. 

1 hour ago, pricha said:

Interestingly the majority share holder of Royal Mail is a Czech billionaire.  I  don't think he is interested in a loss making company and if some blokes coin posted last week hasn't arrived.  But Royal Mail do own an absolute huge portfolio of land.. imagine how much Mount Pleasant in London would be worth to developers.  As everything in this country of worth has been sold off to foreign interests maybe people should be asking questions of the government rather than blaming postmen. 

The Royal Mail do own a lot of places, however, they don’t own as many post offices in towns etc. as you may think and the vast majority of anything like sorting/distribution places if not shut we’re moved onto industrial areas. What they are trying to do is really rundown the letters side of the business which is covered by legislation. The reason they have recently applied to the government to try to stop six day a week letter delivery. Obviously as shown by loads of other companies the money is in parcels.

3 hours ago, SiCole said:

I would have to say, and I know that it is a geographical thing, but the majority of people here (including myself) seem to support the strikers.

I was speaking with a RM middle manager who said that senior management want to tear up some 200 negotiated agreements.

Edited by HillWalkerDundee

Starting to loose faith in every thing. Royal Mail SD Guaranteed next day delivery can take up to 8 days if its delivered. The Evri guy dropped of a parcel the other night at 8:30ish. It should have been here end of October. I'm also waiting for a delivery from UPs, They say they have attempted to make delivery twice but cant find me. Yet the other half has had two parcels from them last week. Most likely the same bloody driver. DPD creep up the drive and play hide and seek with the parcels. We've had to look on the camera for a clue. The git never knocks the door.

Our normal postie used to be the best. Since the strikes he won't even acknowledge anyone any more. At one time you couldn't get from him. 

I must say our booze cupboard has more in it this year. We normally keep in with the delivery guys and give them a bottle for Christmas. Hardly seen anyone this year to give them out. 

1 minute ago, HillWalkerDundee said:

I would have to say, and I know that it is a geographical thing, but the majority of people here (including myself) seem to support the strikers.

I was speaking with a RM middle manager who said that senior management want to tear up some 200 negotiated agreements.

I was at the post office on Thursday evening, standing first in a small queue, post office worker muttered nexxxxxt. I ask was it working ( referring to the scales) of course he said.

I pointed out there was a bin lid sitting on top of them 😆 to which he exclaimed "well I was sorting rubbish too you know " 

I took the softer approach ( fought the urge to roar back) and asked was he having a rough day. His whole expression changed to the point of almost tears 😢 as I approached the counter he began to tell me about the amount of customers coming into the store to ask where their Christmas parcels where?? Apparently they deemed him responsible as he took payment for postage ffs.

He went on to tell me the strikes will achieve very little as upstairs will just fire postman and woman and bring in outside workers if this keeps up.then if they want there jobs back,they can reapply with a 20% reduction in pay, Apparently the post men have little to no morale left and it's not going to get better anytime soon.

10 minutes ago, James32 said:

I took the softer approach ( fought the urge to roar back) and asked was he having a rough day. His whole expression changed to the point of almost tears 😢 as I approached the counter he began to tell me about the amount of customers coming into the store to ask where their Christmas parcels where?? Apparently they deemed him responsible as he took payment for postage ffs.

He went on to tell me the strikes will achieve very little as upstairs will just fire postman and woman and bring in outside workers if this keeps up.then if they want there jobs back,they can reapply with a 20% reduction in pay, Apparently the post men have little to no morale left and it's not going to get better anytime soon.

Dave and Angie at my local post office. Its their own store. They run the post office as independents. They are subject to all the whims of royal mail. I know the hours they put in there. and as you say, the c**p they put up with from some of the customers. I dropped off some ordinary letters and cards today. There was 3 people in front of me. Two of them did nothing but complain about things that weren't any thing to do with them. first about the strikes it even boiled over to the nurses. The other was about the ATM outside that's run buy the NatWest. Moaning that they had to come in to the post office to get their £40.

4 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Dave and Angie at my local post office. Its their own store. They run the post office as independents. They are subject to all the whims of royal mail. I know the hours they put in there. and as you say, the c**p they put up with from some of the customers. I dropped off some ordinary letters and cards today. There was 3 people in front of me. Two of them did nothing but complain about things that weren't any thing to do with them. first about the strikes it even boiled over to the nurses. The other was about the ATM outside that's run buy the NatWest. Moaning that they had to come in to the post office to get their £40.

Yeah it's truly shocking how some customers treat staff in shops etc, and the staff have to stand there and take it through fear of loosing job.

1 hour ago, James32 said:

Apparently they deemed him responsible as he took payment for postage ffs

Isn't this the actual legal definition for the forming of a contract?  We should be kicking this kind of thing upstairs to the people who have subverted contract law to such an extent no-one knows, or if they do cannot hold accountable, who is really to blame any more.

Whilst the profits is parcels I think Royal Mail trying to compete with other couriers will eventually lead to a similar shoddy cheap service. All  special delivery items and parcels will soon have no " Sorry you were out " cards left if not at home.. it means the postman will attempt to deliver the item 3 times then the item will be returned to the sender.   Imagine going on holiday and a dealer has posted you a special delivery . It'll never arrive if you're away for more than 3 days.  Doorstep will become the accepted norm , which is not a great idea in the hobby. They will close all enquiries offices to save money. So you won't even be able to visit a local office to collect a parcel or complain to someone.  I'm not trying to scare people just pointing out the decline of Royal Mail is the race for profits v other couriers rather than its just greedy workers wanting more money. My advice would be to hold on for now and complain as much as possible to the regulators.  I think soon people will need to be very careful when they post items to make sure the receiver will be in to receive. 

Edited by pricha

It is definitely worth getting the membership, as for posting that is entirely up to the individuals engaged in the transaction. I received my last 2 purchases of the year today RMSD posted on Monday here today so I can't complain.

2 minutes ago, Barbielovesgold said:

See I have some bits on here I want to sell and there is some posts I want to buy, but the postal strike is putting me off and also I’m considering buying the membership but should I wait until the strike is over ? X

It's worth getting at least a silver membership, as the trading forums hide posts for 3 days to non-members, which is long enough that the bargains will have long since been hoovered up before you see them.  As for selling, I think non-members are severely limited in the number of listings you can put up, maybe one per month or something.  Memberships aren't all that pricey; silver and gold memberships are both less than £10/month.

The strikes are going to go off and on for the forseeable future, and it means more likely delays than anything else.  Special Delivery includes insurance from £500-2500.  Some members have had bad experiences with RM but by and large you can expect stuff posted RMSD to arrive.  I don't think there's anything to achieve by waiting for the strikes to finish, as that may take a while.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.