• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Your experiences with safety deposit boxes.

Ukbullionfan

So I’m thinking of using one. What’s the best for value for money ? Is it worth it ? Could the outlay go to a sov over the cause of the year instead ? Is it safe from hmrc becasue of capital gains tax etc. does the details of the contents be divulged to them ? Anyway would love some advice on this .

-You don’t have to divulge the contents to anyone although you have to sign an agreement not to keep certain items in them. The only time you would have to divulge the contents is to an insurer if you wanted the contents insured.

-Which brings me on to the next point:  The  contents often arnt insured automatically - this can be rather expensive if you choose to buy it.

-Deposit boxes have no bearing on CGT as that would only arise when selling your metal.

-It’s worth the outlay in the respect you don’t have a pile of PMs hidden at home waiting to get robbed. I’ve had one for years and would never go back to not having one just for the peace of mind it gives me.

-Is it safe from HMRC? Probably not as you have to prove your identity/ address/ inside leg measurements to open one. 

Edited by Shep

17 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

So I’m thinking of using one. What’s the best for value for money ? Is it worth it ? Could the outlay go to a sov over the cause of the year instead ? Is it safe from hmrc becasue of capital gains tax etc. does the details of the contents be divulged to them ? Anyway would love some advice on this .

@Shep has covered it nicely. 

It is worth noting that there are pros and cons with every storage option you just have to decide for yourself which is most likely or unlikely to occur in your eyes. 

I have one, costs me around £100 a year which I think is pretty good value really. I've never had to tell anybody what is in there although as mentioned there are a list of things you can't store (illegal/dangerous covers all of these things I think). It's mostly for peace of mind really and although the contents are not insured I am very impressed with the security at the vault that I use. Not sure what you mean about HMRC though, they wouldn't know what was in there but when you come to sell you would still have to pay CGT if applicable. 

18 hours ago, BullionMan89 said:

I have one, costs me around £100 a year which I think is pretty good value really. I've never had to tell anybody what is in there although as mentioned there are a list of things you can't store (illegal/dangerous covers all of these things I think). It's mostly for peace of mind really and although the contents are not insured I am very impressed with the security at the vault that I use. Not sure what you mean about HMRC though, they wouldn't know what was in there but when you come to sell you would still have to pay CGT if applicable. 

100 a year ? That’s decent I bet that’s where you live though and not London:(

Does anyone know a good place in London for it ?

21 hours ago, BullionMan89 said:

Do you mind me asking who your safe deposit box is with, because I was looking at opening one myself?  Are they nation wide?

Metro Bank in the next town to me provide safe deposit boxes but their smallest is £240 p.a.  I opened a cash account with them as the first step in getting a box, which is required to have a safe deposit box with them.  The account opening was not a smooth process, so I was not generally impressed with them.

Ideally I would like somewhere better than them and hopefully cheaper.  Any info would be welcome.

Does not seem worth it, but my perspective is obviously unique to my own situation.  Surely there are scenarios in which paying a 3rd party beats alternate storage options; for me there would be greater peace of mind going with a reputable non-banking facility as IMO banks are largely untrustworthy in times of extreme economic uncertainty.

I reckon it depends how much £value you are going to hold in it.  For me a safety deposit box is always safer than holding substantial amounts of PM’s etc in your house. But if your stash is less than the value of your car, which sits in your drive,  then possibly  not worth the expense. 

one caveat for me though is to remember that “if you don’t hold it you don’t own it “ lol 😂 

worth remembering that there are always alternatives to home  or safety deposit boxes. 

Mine is not with a bank, I use St James' safety deposit centre. They have two locations, one in Manchester and one in Leeds. I had to sign up for 5 years to get it down to £100 a year and they do have larger boxes for higher prices but it's pretty reasonable I think

1 hour ago, MetalMandible said:

Does not seem worth it, but my perspective is obviously unique to my own situation.  Surely there are scenarios in which paying a 3rd party beats alternate storage options; for me there would be greater peace of mind going with a reputable non-banking facility as IMO banks are largely untrustworthy in times of extreme economic uncertainty.

Very few if any ordinary high street banks now do safety deposit boxes

34 minutes ago, scotwasp said:

I reckon it depends how much £value you are going to hold in it.  For me a safety deposit box is always safer than holding substantial amounts of PM’s etc in your house. But if your stash is less than the value of your car, which sits in your drive,  then possibly  not worth the expense. 

one caveat for me though is to remember that “if you don’t hold it you don’t own it “ lol 😂 

worth remembering that there are always alternatives to home  or safety deposit boxes. 

What sort of car do you drive?🤔😁

16 hours ago, scotwasp said:

😂 it has 2 seats and just enough room in the bonnet to transport a single sovereign to my safety deposit box 📦 🚗

I said paint the porch, not paint the porsche!

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.