• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First Charles III portrait coins

3 hours ago, paulmerton said:

They limited the Pooh SYOs to one per person at one point because they were running low on packaging, but it is normally 2. I heard the limit was 3 on the current one but I haven't been there myself yet.

From what I read, you can only strike one coin yourself, but you can buy 2 more that were already struck.

I just thought it was so interesting that a dealer is selling these because I have never seen that before.

Edited by JeffM

1 minute ago, JeffM said:

From what I read, you can only strike one coin yourself, but you can buy 2 more that were already struck.

Yeah, that's what it was like on the February Jubilee day or whenever it's busy - it would just take too long during the tour if everyone wanted to strike 3.  It does make it feel rather contrived when you're paying for the coin at the source and it comes in packaging that says you struck it when you didn't.

25 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Yeah, that's what it was like on the February Jubilee day or whenever it's busy - it would just take too long during the tour if everyone wanted to strike 3.  It does make it feel rather contrived when you're paying for the coin at the source and it comes in packaging that says you struck it when you didn't.

The whole thing is somewhat contrived.  All you do is push a button, the machine strikes it, and a worker takes the coin and puts it in a folder.  How would you like that for a job?  Still a nice thing, however.

5 minutes ago, JeffM said:

The whole thing is somewhat contrived.  All you do is push a button, the machine strikes it, and a worker takes the coin and puts it in a folder.  How would you like that for a job?  Still a nice thing, however.

At least there is some kind of involvement in the striking process, and it obviously has to cater for little kiddies too. On the VIP tours you get to do the whole thing yourself (with some supervision!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2022 at 16:16, GoldStatue said:

This guy is selling 22 of those SYO memorial 50p coins and they were only released the other day:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/boselectacoins147

That's Del Boy Trotter levels of flipping 😀

if its the same guy, he is a welsh youtuber who does coin hunts for £2 and 50p's which is where he pesumably gets a lot of his stock.  if the ebay location is right, he is only 15 miles away from the mint so will pop along with some friends to buy the syo coins on a regular basis and buy the other stuff to sell.

On 01/11/2022 at 20:24, paulmerton said:

It's not that common, especially for newer ones. How much are they charging over the £7.50 it would have cost as part of the tour?

Most seem to be sold by locals who go there every day, pay for the coins without bothering to go on the tour, and then stick them on eBay. I guess it is a handy option if you can't easily get there and want one, but you are only really paying for the packaging at the end of the day. If you didn't actually strike it yourself, there's nothing particularly special about the coin itself and it would work out cheaper to buy the same striking standard in the regular Royal Mint bunc packaging for £11; or if it's only the coin you're after then you can get it for less than a fiver from a few places. Or if you don't mind a few bumps and scratches, there'll be circulating versions coming out in our change next month and I'll be hoping to get a few of those!

i thought you had to go on the tour to get the coin, no?  I didnt see any on display for sale in the shop when i went.

12 minutes ago, bluffer said:

i thought you had to go on the tour to get the coin, no?  I didnt see any on display for sale in the shop when i went.

They're not on display for purchase, but I believe you can get pre-struck SYOs without having to go on the tour at all (still have to pay for the tour though).

I went today and we only got to strike 1 of the 3 SYOs we were allowed; the other 2 were pre-struck.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Sharron said:

Hi.

Anyone know why the Charles III Sovereign is still available  at the RM???? 

I would have thought these would have sold out by now,must say I'm confused..any thoughts from the forum.

Thanks.

Because it's a massive flop, just dont tell anyone 😁

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

9 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

Wait and see what happens when they start arriving to people and pictures and videos start to appear of them in person. I think also a lot of flippers are put off by the wait time and the funds taken at the time of sale not the time of dispatch. 

I did buy the 1/2 sov...

Money still hasn't come out of my account although I've got a confirmation.  I guess they won't take the money until dispatch..but it is a pain seeing that money still waiting to be taken by the RM..I keep thinking I've got more money than I have lol.

I managed to get the 1/2 sov on the release date..confirmation email etc..money was pending to come out of my account for a week. Just checked my bank statement and although I had plenty of funds in my account the RM have cxld my order and have returned my money back into my account. I can not ring them til tmrw to find out why they have done this...but it will be the last time I order anything from the RM!!! What an awful unprofessional service I have recd...I'm totally bemused why!!! They have done this,moreover no email to advise me of the cancellation??? Words can't describe how I feel about the RM and their diabolical customer service....they are a total s**** company 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

10 minutes ago, Sharron said:

I managed to get the 1/2 sov on the release date..confirmation email etc..money was pending to come out of my account for a week. Just checked my bank statement and although I had plenty of funds in my account the RM have cxld my order and have returned my money back into my account. I can not ring them til tmrw to find out why they have done this...but it will be the last time I order anything from the RM!!! What an awful unprofessional service I have recd...I'm totally bemused why!!! They have done this,moreover no email to advise me of the cancellation??? Words can't describe how I feel about the RM and their diabolical customer service....they are a total s**** company 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Have they actually refunded you, or has the pending payment just disappeared?

6 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Have they actually refunded you, or has the pending payment just disappeared?

The pending payment has gone and they have put the £375 + postage back into my account...im shocked!!!!

10 hours ago, Sharron said:

The pending payment has gone and they have put the £375 + postage back into my account...im shocked!!!!

I had this with 2 full sovereigns, only wanted to order 1 got suck in the RM payment loop of death, tried again, same loop......they took the 2 full amounts did not process the order and I've been refunded in full.  

@Sharron Just order from Chards it's far less hassle https://www.chards.co.uk/products/2022-queen-elizabeth-ii-memorial-sovereigns

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Paul said:

spotted the first Charles 2oz gold on feeBay looking around

Picture 1 of 5

Picture 3 of 5

Picture 2 of 5

Looks better in the flesh, than the RM official images 

Doesn't look too shabby in fairness but not my cup of tea. How much they asking? 

1 minute ago, Mtaybar said:

Doesn't look too shabby in fairness but not my cup of tea. How much they asking? 

yeah agree - i didnt go for this at launch. it looks quite nice  

it is up for £5995 

28 minutes ago, Paul said:

Picture 1 of 5

Picture 3 of 5

Picture 2 of 5

Totally agree. The portrait of the Queen actually looks quite good. I was put off buying due to the RM images.

30 minutes ago, Paul said:

Picture 1 of 5

Picture 3 of 5

Picture 2 of 5

I think it’s a good portrait of Charles but not so good of the Queen…