• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

I will argue that the price of the 5-coin platinum 2022 proof aet in pf70 sells around £8500 give or take. I have seen many sales around that mark the last few months mostly on direct sales but if i remember correctly also on some auction houses. 
Having said that, i cant wait to buy the new 5-coin set for my collection. If i could get my hands on a second set and graded and got pf70 in all, (considering a fast sell out) i am guessing the price would range around the £7500 mark. The design is so amazing that there is a chance this would be desired as much as the platinum Jubilee set. I think time will tell, but this is my prediction.

2 minutes ago, Chrisplym said:

Am I right in thinking that the Royal Mint limit will be one of each set and single coin per customer?

Does any one know the price for the 4 coin set? Apologies if I have missed this.

I got a five, four, three set and two single sov last year on one order . Don't think I breached any  limits but all accepted and paid on one order 

2 minutes ago, dirt94 said:

What would be the most desirable to buy and probably hold the best value if you only had the funds to purchase one of these Memorial Sovereigns?

5 coin set 

4 coin set 

3 coin set 

£5 BU or piedfort..not entirely sure which

1 sov 

1/2 sov 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Does anyone think that a 2022 5 set would be a good swap for a new 2022 5  set?

Now there's an interesting question.

No!!

Sell the 5 coin set graded 70 for approximately £9k+ and buy the new set for £5500?

Sell the current set for £7k+ raw and still have money left over from buying new set.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, James32 said:

Now there's an interesting question.

No!!

Sell the 5 coin set graded 70 for approximately £9k+ and buy the new set for £5500?

Sell the current set for £7k+ raw and still have money left over from buying new set.

Sell it to me for £5500

I don't think these will be flippable for much which should be good for us all to get something. The 1 sov mintage is a lot higher and there is not much of a premium currently on the last sovereign of the queen. So here's hoping. My aim is 2 x 1 sov for the collection. Not got the spare cash for the sets currently. 5 Sov set is always a certain winner. 

9 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

I'm pretty confident the sovereign with 17,000 edition size won't get sold out for weeks if everyone is restricted to 3 per household and allocation to dealers are very limited. The Harry Potter 15,000 colour proofs are a lot more affordable and its popularity transends numismatic but still not sold out after 3 weeks. The Royal Mint probably has a record of how many buyers of their coins and coin types and constantly adjust its mintage figures to  maximise profits. I would guess there is a hardcore but small community that would buy all, then another bigger group that buys the odd ones. In the wider world our hobby would be met with a bit of amusement and as an extravagence by the average Joe.

So the Harry Potter coins are still not sold out after 3 weeks?  That only tells me that the majority of Harry Potter fans prefer books to coins. You cannot make sales comparisons between a novelty coin minted in a blip of time in Royal Mint history and the Sovereign which was introduced in 1489. Would a similar sales scenario be the case in book stores if JK Rowling brought out another Harry Potter book? Absolutely not. 

My daughter was such an avid Harry Potter book  reader that she was annoyed after seeing the first film and seeing what content was cut out of the book. I don’t think she watched many more. She owns 2 first edition books yet when she saw the coins she laughed. Kiddy fodder. That says it all in my opinion.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

9 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

I'm pretty confident the sovereign with 17,000 edition size won't get sold out for weeks if everyone is restricted to 3 per household and allocation to dealers are very limited. The Harry Potter 15,000 colour proofs are a lot more affordable and its popularity transends numismatic but still not sold out after 3 weeks. The Royal Mint probably has a record of how many buyers of their coins and coin types and constantly adjust its mintage figures to  maximise profits. I would guess there is a hardcore but small community that would buy all, then another bigger group that buys the odd ones. In the wider world our hobby would be met with a bit of amusement and as an extravagence by the average Joe.

I don't think you can compare the sovereign to a Harry Potter collector coin...... there is just no comparison full stop. These new sovereigns will be a hot win for the mint and if there's anything left after 24hrs I'll eat my hat. 

7 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

The Potter coins transends numistica. Traditional coincollectors may not be a fan and some might sight see its gimmicky but not the fans. Listing here does not represent the wider population. We are small pool of people really.

Totally disagree. Your argument should be that the Potter book series has a vast worldwide fan base larger than the amount of people who collect coins. The Potter coins do not transcend anything as the sales figures you quoted prove. What you imply suggests an ignorance of numismatics in my opinion.

Edited by GoodAsGold

Own it and Love it.

11 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

I don't think you can compare the sovereign to a Harry Potter collector coin...... there is just no comparison full stop. These new sovereigns will be a hot win for the mint and if there's anything left after 24hrs I'll eat my hat. 

I hope it tastes like chocolate 😁

Own it and Love it.

29 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Clearly the next smart move by the mint would be to make a Harry Potter sovereign.

Suggest that to Hattons Of London. They stick the word “sovereign” on the end of a lot of their gold coin releases (presumably to attract unsuspecting first time buyers who think they’re getting Royal Mint sovereigns). They have a Her Majesty’s Graces sovereign series. Maybe the engravers initials are TAT.

Edited by GoodAsGold

Own it and Love it.

2 hours ago, FlorinCollector said:

I don't think these will be flippable for much which should be good for us all to get something. The 1 sov mintage is a lot higher and there is not much of a premium currently on the last sovereign of the queen. So here's hoping. My aim is 2 x 1 sov for the collection. Not got the spare cash for the sets currently. 5 Sov set is always a certain winner. 

Yeah nah, new King 1st Sov means VERY sought after at a much higher price imo

4 hours ago, dirt94 said:

What would be the most desirable to buy and probably hold the best value if you only had the funds to purchase one of these Memorial Sovereigns?

I would only consider:-

5 coin proof set

1  sovereign proof

As the 5sov and 1sov are the most popular sizes when it comes to sovereigns.

All the special reverse sovereigns are selling for more than their release price, I guess there's no guarantee that will always be the case in the future.

4 hours ago, FlorinCollector said:

I think the flippers will flip these, these will sell out eventually and the Royal Mint hasn't priced them so high that the scalpers can't make a profit off them.

They will just make less money per coin and have to wait a bit longer to see a profit.

Unlimited mintage would of put a stop to a lot of that behaviour though!

Edited by GoldStatue

2 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:

So the Harry Potter coins are still not sold out after 3 weeks?  That only tells me that the majority of Harry Potter fans prefer books to coins. You cannot make sales comparisons between a novelty coin minted in a blip of time in Royal Mint history and the Sovereign which was introduced in 1489. Would a similar sales scenario be the case in book stores if JK Rowling brought out another Harry Potter book? Absolutely not. 

My daughter was such an avid Harry Potter book  reader that she was annoyed after seeing the first film and seeing what content was cut out of the book. I don’t think she watched many more. She owns 2 first edition books yet when she saw the coins she laughed. Kiddy fodder. That says it all in my opinion.

I think those Harry Potter coins are aimed more for the gift giving market than for the hardcore Potheads or coin collectors.

The Royal Mint must have paid a pretty penny to put that franchise on coins!