• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

27 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Proofs turned up today. Nicely surprised, they seem to be fine and not returns 😮

Apparently I have a DHL parcel in transit from 7th with a tracking number but no emails and no texts plus not charged for it 🤷‍♂️ 

A nice free coin set would be great 😊 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

1 minute ago, MancunianStacker said:

Apparently I have a DHL parcel in transit from 7th with a tracking number but no emails and no texts plus not charged for it 🤷‍♂️ 

Mine has just turned up as well. Sadly I was charged for it when I've just checked. Boo!

Lovely coin though. Looks flawless to me. Glad they did something about the opening capsules with the black foam thing :)

Just now, Bullionaire said:

Mine has just turned up as well. Sadly I was charged for it when I've just checked. Boo!

Lovely coin though. Looks flawless to me. Glad they did something about the opening capsules with the black foam thing :)

Yeah. I got my second today, with the black foam thing. My first, didn't have that, so I assume it's a relatively new thing.

Progress.

18 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

Mine seems to still be in Bristol 🤷‍♂️ 

Nothings changed since yesterday 😞 

41 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Mine were RM SD, do the Mint use DHL?

34 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

This is my first proof since 2018, I'm a bit underwhelmed tbh...not knocked out like I usually am/was :wacko:

1 hour ago, NewCoins said:

Yeah. I got my second today, with the black foam thing. My first, didn't have that, so I assume it's a relatively new thing.

They've done really very well indeed, I love how the rear rings push the coin out on the set, top job by the Mint :)

Edited by kimchi

42 minutes ago, kimchi said:

This is my first proof since 2018, I'm a bit underwhelmed tbh...not knocked out like I usually am/was :wacko:

It’s definitely a DHL tracking number. I’ve had 2oz golds delivered via DHL before. Probably a higher insurance level 🤔 

13 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

It’s definitely a DHL tracking number. I’ve had 2oz golds delivered via DHL before. Probably a higher insurance level 🤔 

Hehe, I got my 5 coin set earlier this week after 10 days or so in transit. I was out  at the time and although they use a sub contractor in our area, they left the parcel in my shed. I really couldn’t believe it!

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Hi All, 

So got mine today and looking at it via a loupe and found some issues (I think)

1st - A-Frosting.png - is this what you call frosting on the coin? Little white spinkles everywhere on the coin? (Think you can just about see it in the pictures.)

2nd - B-unicorn dent.png - circled in red on 2nd picture, is that a dent on the unicorn?

3rd - c1 - leftsideshield.png - circled in red on 3rd and 4th picture, another dent on the shield?

Would you return the coin if you just had frosting issues?

Would you return the coin if you had these dent issues on unicorn and shield?

Without a loupe and looking closely I wouldn't of notice theses issues.

Thanks in advance for your experience. 

A-Frosting.png

B-unicorn dent.png

C1-leftsideshield.png

C2-leftsideshield.png

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Hehe, I got my 5 coin set earlier this week after 10 days or so in transit. I was out  at the time and although they use a sub contractor in our area, they left the parcel in my shed. I really couldn’t believe it!

Shocking but on the bright side the value of your shed has tripled 😁

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, Slam said:

Hi All, 

So got mine today and looking at it via a loupe and found some issues (I think)

1st - A-Frosting.png - is this what you call frosting on the coin? Little white spinkles everywhere on the coin? (Think you can just about see it in the pictures.)

2nd - B-unicorn dent.png - circled in red on 2nd picture, is that a dent on the unicorn?

3rd - c1 - leftsideshield.png - circled in red on 3rd and 4th picture, another dent on the shield?

Would you return the coin if you just had frosting issues?

Would you return the coin if you had these dent issues on unicorn and shield?

Without a loupe and looking closely I wouldn't of notice theses issues.

Thanks in advance for your experience. 

A-Frosting.png

B-unicorn dent.png

C1-leftsideshield.png

C2-leftsideshield.png

What magnification is that? and can it all be seen with the naked eye? I see what you mean but id be tempted to keep it :)

question is what will you get back if returned now.

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Yes.  I think they use DHL for anything over a certain value (£2,500?)  I believe it states this on their website.

8 minutes ago, blackadder said:

What magnification is that? and can it all be seen with the naked eye? I see what you mean but id be tempted to keep it :)

question is what will you get back if returned now.

magnification is 10x, with the size of the sovereign and the design its very difficult to see the dents for me.

It will probably play on my mind. With frosting, is that acceptable on a coin and is that normal? (I notice on some comments frosting is a issue but shouldn't be a deal breaker?)

I can get a refund most probably.    

8 minutes ago, Slam said:

magnification is 10x, with the size of the sovereign and the design its very difficult to see the dents for me.

It will probably play on my mind. With frosting, is that acceptable on a coin and is that normal? (I notice on some comments frosting is a issue but shouldn't be a deal breaker?)

I have afew spots on mine,if you ain't going to grade it and can't see it with the naked eye its not to bad.

You might get one back that's far worse then this or better it's a risk.

If it's going to bug you and make you look at it every night under a loop try for a return :)

4 minutes ago, blackadder said:

I have afew spots on mine,if you ain't going to grade it and can't see it with the naked eye its not to bad.

If it's going to bug you and make you look at it every night under a loop try for a return :)

Have to agree,just received my replacement and all looks well to the naked eye so I'm leaving it there ( seek and you shall find)

Put away now and never to be seen until the price reaches half a million 😁

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Have to agree,just received my replacement and all looks well to the naked eye so I'm leaving it there ( seek and you shall find)

Put away now and never to be seen until the price reaches half a million 😁

Inflation is a killer

36 minutes ago, blackadder said:

Thanks, will sleep on it but yeah. I was thinking more in terms of the otherside, when I come to sell. Will a collector be disappointed in receiveing them in this condition. 

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Slam said:

Thanks, will sleep on it but yeah. I was thinking more in terms of the otherside, when I come to sell. Will a collector be disappointed in receiveing them in this condition. 

Thanks

I think most people years down the line buying a coin don't worry or ask about tiny frosting bits missing etc,under ten times magnification :)As i bet by this time if you look hard enough alot have.

Most i think ask if the item has marks or scratches that can be seen with the naked eye.

A collector that wants 100% perfect would buy graded surely/maybe 😋

but like said nothing stopping you for trying for a return.But at this point they may just refund you.

I feel with these modern releases it’s hard not to go down the road of chasing a “perfect” coin, especially with all the hype from the community and various shills. The pressure to have a coin that you think will grade as a 70 is just overwhelming.

When i began to take notice of grading it near enough ruined the enjoyment of buying and owning raw proof coins because I became obsessed with only having perfect ones. 

@Slam 

I’ve had a similar issues in the past where I’ve spent an ungodly amount of time going back to a coin carefully unscrewing the capsule to look at it with a loupe, trying in vain to convince myself that the little defect I’ve noticed isn’t all that bad and I can live with it. It didn’t work for me.

Speaking from my own experience of this, unless you can put the quest for that perfect 70 out of your mind, owning this particular coin now that you’ve noticed these little things is probably going to do your head in. Perhaps try for a replacement if you can but when it arrives don't get your loupe out!

52 minutes ago, Slam said:

Are the frosting issues in picture A tiny blank spots missing on the design, or is it some kind of dust/debris on the surface of the coin? If it's the latter then you'll probably see it in the mirrored fields as well? I'm guessing it's missing tiny dots of frosting and if it's clear to the naked eye, is too widespread for me to accept. That's just my opinion. It could just be that you're looking too hard under 10x magnification and have caught the light at a certain angle

If it's minimal, and not due to contact marks, then it tends not to matter to many people because graders will overlook small issues caused during the minting process. I believe that's the case for Picture B. I think a 70 is still possible.

Picture C looks like a tiny ding and might lower the grade. Depends on whether the graders deem it a post production flaw. 

If it bothers you that much then return them and ask for replacement but not refund. The coins are still worth more than RRP and so you should ask for them back if they won't replace them, which isn't a problem to RM. In years to come, I think you'd look back on a refund with disappointment.

Just my opinion for what it's worth. I don't claim to be an expert.

2 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

Are the frosting issues in picture A tiny blank spots missing on the design, or is it some kind of dust/debris on the surface of the coin? If it's the latter then you'll probably see it in the mirrored fields as well? I'm guessing it's missing tiny dots of frosting and if it's clear to the naked eye, is too widespread for me to accept. That's just my opinion. It could just be that you're looking too hard under 10x magnification and have caught the light at a certain angle

If it's minimal, and not due to contact marks, then it tends not to matter to many people because graders will overlook small issues caused during the minting process. I believe that's the case for Picture B. I think a 70 is still possible.

Picture C looks like a tiny ding and might lower the grade. Depends on whether the graders deem it a post production flaw. 

If it bothers you that much then return them and ask for replacement but not refund. The coins are still worth more than RRP and so you should ask for them back if they won't replace them, which isn't a problem to RM. In years to come, I think you'd look back on a refund with disappointment.

Just my opinion for what it's worth. I don't claim to be an expert.

I've looked at coins and been happy,then months later looked again to see these frosting problems due most likely to the light being at just the right angle etc etc.

I sent the silver panther back four times lol :) Sometimes you can take it to far 😂

3 minutes ago, blackadder said:

I've looked at coins and been happy,then months later looked again to see these frosting problems due most likely to the light being at just the right angle etc etc.

I sent the silver panther back four times lol :) Sometimes you can take it to far 😂

I haven't looked at my 3-coin set since delivery. I can't bring myself to seek out flaws that may or may not be relevant to a grader 🙈

6 minutes ago, kimchi said:

2) a graded 70 does not mean a perfect coin.

I get that. Personally, I have chosen to accept the opinion of a grader. For the sake of simplicity, if achieves a 70 then it's perfect to me (unless it changes through tarnishing/spotting etc).

If a coin is flawed during minting process, then I'm inclined to accept it as being made that way. I would even be pleased with a unique mint error as long as I could deal with any potential loss in it's value.