• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

40 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Comparing an ISA with Gold 

Web capture_16-3-2023_203948_remembergold.com.jpeg

Defo not a fan of Cash ISAs, comparing it to something like the DJIA which is up about 150% compared to golds 50% in the same time frame would be more interesting.  No doubt gold has been a good investment for the last decade.

I wish they'd shown their working out on this though, have you got a link to the calculator itself, am interested in how compounding is considered.

2 minutes ago, scotwasp said:

Why pay off your mortgage, your interest rate is significantly below inflation, which means your winning against the bank, as long as you use your money wisely and beat what your being charged in interest then you win, if your not sure you can then fair enough pay off the mortgage, but what ever you owe the bank right now is reducing by 10% real terms.  
just throwing this in as an alternative view.

And to keep it on track, gold uk coins with no capital gains tax must be a consideration at the moment to beat the banks and your isa if you think, as I do, that they will probably beat inflation and definitely beat your mortgage rate. 

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

Invest in YOURSELF or your business

A paid course that gives you a new ticket or cert 

A fee paid to a leading marketing guru to grow your business 

A newer/faster/more productive/ multi functional machine 

A new member of staff who'll x2-x5 your monthly revenue 

People happy with 5-10%++appreciation are lacking in vision, hope or confidence in their own skill set 

Never stop learning,never stop improving 

This many times over ... at one point in my career I was commuting about 5 - 6 hrs a day and spent those 5 years reading about a book every week or two.  Has at least doubled my salary and got me into positions i didnt think would be possible.

I'd even take it a step further and say practice continuous improvement against specific subjects, so effective in the long term.

Edited by Zeuk

1 hour ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Im torn as to whether i want to sell half my stack half my ISA and pay off my mortgage. Hard to let go though as it can always go up!

Mathematically depends what return you generate from ISA on average... Personally would pay off mortgage before stacking. 

Beyond the maths some people like the feeling of being mortgage free which has a value. 

What about earn more pay off mortgage and keep ISA and stack?

5 minutes ago, Zeuk said:

Defo not a fan of Cash ISAs, comparing it to something like the DJIA which is up about 150% compared to golds 50% in the same time frame would be more interesting.  No doubt gold has been a good investment for the last decade.

I wish they'd shown their working out on this though, have you got a link to the calculator itself, am interested in how compounding is considered.

www.https://remembergold.com    👍

1 hour ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Im torn as to whether i want to sell half my stack half my ISA and pay off my mortgage. Hard to let go though as it can always go up!

Spreadsheets are your friend here, lifetime cost of borrowing vs how much you're making off your isa/stack.  Add in affordability, risk, lifestyle factors, loss of opportunity to invest more etc..

2 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

www.https://remembergold.com    👍

Really useful site thanks, i like to use ones like these also salarycalculator and compound calculators to figure out future planning ... then i ignore it and buy a sov whenver i can 😆

Also to my point around the DJIA vs Gold, im not at all bullish about the future of stocks at the moment and it was those concerns that brought me here.  The tech hayday of massive roi tech stocks i think is very likely passed for a while at least, companies like amazon et al. whilst i dont think they are bad places to invest and i do have holdings in them they are just normal big companies now and as sensitive to the wider economy as any other, they are as likely to be disrupted as they are to be the disrupters.  The cultures that made them attractive are a thing of the past too, I interviewed with Amazon a few years back and it wasnt appealing at all.

4 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Mathematically depends what return you generate from ISA on average... Personally would pay off mortgage before stacking. 

Beyond the maths some people like the feeling of being mortgage free which has a value. 

What about earn more pay off mortgage and keep ISA and stack?

TAX is my enemy here. Not saying I don’t want to earn more given the opportunity but I’ve been getting taxed through my eyeballs so getting rid of my mortgage is a fair few thousand a year I can keep in my company or at least be more tax efficient with - most likely will make pension contributions with the money to further reduce my tax liability.

All for the maths but i think the feeling of being mortgage free will also be very satisfying in the current climate.

12 minutes ago, Zeuk said:

This many times over ... at one point in my career I was commuting about 5 - 6 hrs a day and spent those 5 years reading about a book every week or two.  Has at least doubled my salary and got me into positions i didnt think would be possible.

I'd even take it a step further and say practice continuous improvement against specific subjects, so effective in the long term.

Anyone keen to learn 

Get audible account 

Listen to losing my virginity Ricard branson

Shoe dog Nike founder 

How to get rich by felix Denis 

Add to that l

Listen to everything on YouTube and Spotify by James Sinclair

The time you invest will reap you so many more % appreciation than trusting a bank or investment vehicle 

30-50% I'm improved not pissy piddly micro percents 

Education and knowledge willl earn you so much more 

Just now, AuricGoldfinger said:

TAX is my enemy here. Not saying I don’t want to earn more given the opportunity but I’ve been getting taxed through my eyeballs so getting rid of my mortgage is a fair few thousand a year I can keep in my company or at least be more tax efficient with - most likely will make pension contributions with the money to further reduce my tax liability.

All for the maths but i think the feeling of being mortgage free will also be very satisfying in the current climate.

Can you Sipp your own house if you run the company? especially with the new pension thresholds

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Anyone keen to learn 

Get audible account 

Listen to losing my virginity Ricard branson

Shoe dog Nike founder 

How to get rich by felix Denis 

Add to that l

Listen to everything on YouTube and Spotify by James Sinclair

The time you invest will reap you so many more % appreciation than trusting a bank or investment vehicle 

30-50% I'm improved not pissy piddly micro percents 

Education and knowledge willl earn you so much more 

Thats an idea for a thread - decent reads 

3 minutes ago, Zeuk said:

Can you Sipp your own house if you run the company? especially with the new pension thresholds

Thats an idea for a thread - decent reads 

Commercial property only in SIPPs

2 minutes ago, SiCole said:

Commercial property only in SIPPs

Yeah seems to be classed as an unauthorised payment which could come with a charge of up to 55% ... probably not the best of ideas 😆

2 minutes ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Nope!

Depending on your age and when you're looking to do it, i guess another tax effecient option could be to pile in to a sipp and then take 25% out at 55 to pay it off.  

3 minutes ago, Zeuk said:

Depending on your age and when you're looking to do it, i guess another tax effecient option could be to pile in to a sipp and then take 25% out at 55 to pay it off.  

This is something I'd like to know more about. I'm 52

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

Sorry to be the party pooper as I'm interested in this discussion also 😞
https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/40-personal-finance-other-investments/

Currently 1,584

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

1 hour ago, scotwasp said:

Why pay off your mortgage, your interest rate is significantly below inflation, which means your winning against the bank, as long as you use your money wisely and beat what your being charged in interest then you win, if your not sure you can then fair enough pay off the mortgage, but what ever you owe the bank right now is reducing by 10% real terms.  
just throwing this in as an alternative view.

That's how central banks inflate debt away

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

53 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

That's how central banks inflate debt away

Exactly, we are conditioned to behave as this thread is mainly recommending, I would suggest that to pay off debt (low interest) in this current inflationary climate is unwise, if your debt charges interest above inflation, pay it off, if not it is an asset, keep it and make a profit.  You pay off your mortgage you will struggle to raise that debt again.  This is a gold thread and we are here, I guess, because we believe it has a purpose, if you believe gold beats your interest rate, buy gold and keep the mortgage, if not , pay it off by all means.