• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

This was a bit out of the ordinary

My guess is that mints do this on purpose just to keep avid collectors on their toes, continuously on the lookout for that rare specimen. The supposedly pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
The chances of a regular individual ever finding or receiving such a rare coin are slim to none. Middlemen will always cherry-pick the entire inventory before shipping it out. I have bought numerous proof coins. Hardly any has ever been flawless. The good stuff is kept by the retailers themselves and sent off for grading and the trash is shipped out to customers. Flawlessness requires that regular folk pay through the nose for it.
The worse of the worse is reserved for international clients which are least likely to return the goods due to all the hassle involved. Meanwhile the truly rare and good stuff is only reserved for the Illuminati. The dealers, YouTubers, influencers and of course those with very deep pockets.

Edited by Ignorant

1 hour ago, Ignorant said:

My guess is that mints do this on purpose just to keep avid collectors on their toes, continuously on the lookout for that rare specimen. The supposedly pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
The chances of a regular individual ever finding or receiving such a rare coin are slim to none. Middlemen will always cherry-pick the entire inventory before shipping it out. I have bought numerous proof coins. Hardly any has ever been flawless. The good stuff is kept by the retailers themselves and sent off for grading and the trash is shipped out to customers. Flawlessness requires that regular folk pay through the nose for it.
The worse of the worse is reserved for international clients which are least likely to return the goods due to all the hassle involved. Meanwhile the truly rare and good stuff is only reserved for the Illuminati. The dealers, YouTubers, influencers and of course those with very deep pockets.

I disagree.  

Brockage errors happen not only on gold and silver coins, but standard circulation coins.  Even going back to the times of Victoria.  They are surprising common in circulation coins (because of the volume).

Errors happen - and on the forum we have seen die alignment errors identified by and sold by an individual (albeit via an intermediary). Plus other errors one of which I purchased.

I am not sure the illuminati exist outside of conspiracy theories, and there is an open market to buy rarities if you don’t find one in an order.  

Tin foil hats on!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

15 hours ago, daca said:
15 hours ago, daca said:

1st coin isnt ejected from the machine and the second one is struck betwn the 1st coin that has the dragon and the die above with the same design. this is why the error side is incuse 

But the 1st coin has to flip otherwise it would have the dragon on both sides. One normal and one incuse.

Edited by Skyfiller

2 hours ago, Skyfiller said:

But the 1st coin has to flip otherwise it would have the dragon on both sides. One normal and one incuse.

It does have the dragon on both sides, exactly as you describe.

4 hours ago, Skyfiller said:

Nope.

For the error shown the setup is: the lower die is the side with de king, the upper die is the one side with the dragon (both dies have the design incuse - negative as it is normal).

1st coin (blank) is inserted in the machine and is struck as normal (bottom side king, upper side dragon, both sides of the coin now have the correct fields - positive), the machine doesn't eject the 1st coin (get stuck, doesn't  move at all) and the 2nd coin (blank) is inserted. The  2nd coin  is struck between the 1st coin (upper side of the 1st coin now with the dragon design - positive) and the upper die (dragon design - negative)  and will now result  in the error above (the lower side of the 2nd coin that comes in to contact with the 1st coin will have now imprinted the dragon design incuse - negative because the upper field of the 1st coin was a positive).

The 2nd coin is the error coin above posted, not the 1st.  (the 1st coin could be consider a double strike error, but this is another type of error.)

If the 1st coin flips as you suggested then the 2nd coin will have the correct fields (king incuse on lower side and dragon upper side - normal strike, and most likely offset) and the 1st coin will now have one side correct (king) and the 2nd side with double the design dragon and king overlay (upper side - dragon now flips and comes in to contact with the lower die with king design), again this is another type of error.

Hope I made sense.

Edited by daca

We've just finished shooting our video with @LawrenceChard !

This is mainly to prove to you all that we haven't sold him off in our sale...but also to give you a closer look at this amazing brockage sovereign!

We will post the video on this thread in the coming days.

Thanks,

Chris

4 minutes ago, ChardsCoinandBullionDealer said:

We've just finished shooting our video with @LawrenceChard !

This is mainly to prove to you all that we haven't sold him off in our sale...but also to give you a closer look at this amazing brockage sovereign!

We will post the video on this thread in the coming days.

Thanks,

Chris

Oh no, that's not very fair on us fans, can't your editors at least give us a 30 second teaser like AppleTV does ... :D

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

On 01/08/2023 at 09:10, Skyfiller said:

I cannot see any way a modern press can accidentally produce this. It would have to mint a coin, then flip it over and mint that side against a new blank. Even if this happened it would be gold against gold and there would be nowhere near the definition shown?

From what I gather the RM are employing minimum wage school leavers who probably slammed this one out for a chuckle. I wouldn't be surprised if Charles has an added appendage sooner or later like the 1970s Topps Star Wars bubble gum card that came with a rather large metal doo-dah stuck on CP3O.

Edited by CazLikesCoins

19 hours ago, daca said:

Nope.

For the error shown the setup is: the lower die is the side with de king, the upper die is the one side with the dragon (both dies have the design incuse - negative as it is normal).

1st coin (blank) is inserted in the machine and is struck as normal (bottom side king, upper side dragon, both sides of the coin now have the correct fields - positive), the machine doesn't eject the 1st coin (get stuck, doesn't  move at all) and the 2nd coin (blank) is inserted. The  2nd coin  is struck between the 1st coin (upper side of the 1st coin now with the dragon design - positive) and the upper die (dragon design - negative)  and will now result  in the error above (the lower side of the 2nd coin that comes in to contact with the 1st coin will have now imprinted the dragon design incuse - negative because the upper field of the 1st coin was a positive).

The 2nd coin is the error coin above posted, not the 1st.  (the 1st coin could be consider a double strike error, but this is another type of error.)

If the 1st coin flips as you suggested then the 2nd coin will have the correct fields (king incuse on lower side and dragon upper side - normal strike, and most likely offset) and the 1st coin will now have one side correct (king) and the 2nd side with double the design dragon and king overlay (upper side - dragon now flips and comes in to contact with the lower die with king design), again this is another type of error.

Hope I made sense.

Ahhh cr#p, my bad. Your right mate. Thought it had a face on the other side but looking back it’s dragons both sides. Sorry. Amazing find.

21 hours ago, KleinerVogel said:

I see, nice find. That is one error sov I wouldn't mind being sent by accident. 🙂

There could be any number in tubes unopened, not everyone opens the tubes, many straight into storage, especially those with such direct dealer arrangements; simply never see them!!

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

17 hours ago, Coverte said:

There could be any number in tubes unopened, not everyone opens the tubes, many straight into storage, especially those with such direct dealer arrangements; simply never see them!!

Yeah I imagine you're correct there.

I bought a tube once, but then it vanished when my alarm clock went off, so I can't check mine. 😅

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...