• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

Just a update on my gothic crown portrait which I sent on Monday because it had a slight mark anyway I’ve received a email that It will be delivered tomorrow 😳I’ve just checked the email which I received in the afternoon.

That was super quick for the replacement I’m shocked 

Just now, Alz111 said:

Just a update on my gothic crown portrait which I sent on Monday because it had a slight mark anyway I’ve received a email that It will be delivered tomorrow 😳I’ve just checked the email which I received in the afternoon.

That was super quick for the replacement I’m shocked 

That was quick, the sotd sovereigns are due tomorrow also ( not sure if your waiting on one of those too)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, James32 said:

That was quick, the sotd sovereigns are due tomorrow also ( not sure if your waiting on one of those too)

Yes I got the email for the SOTD sovereign as well which will be delivered tomorrow. But I wasn’t expecting the gothic crown so fast 

My 2oz portrait arrived today.

Disappointed to say the cap was open. Made it extremely difficult to pull the capsule out of the box to have a look. 

Doesn't look like many problems on a very brief inspection.

It's hard to see the capsule open on the picture taken when I first opened it.20220218_093314.thumb.jpg.c7b831201ba38896a334b6cdeefe991f.jpg

1 hour ago, Oldun said:

Truly, are you sure @BackyardBullion that the RM reads stuff here ? .this is an annual problem and it just beggars belief.

It's pretty obvious that QC is a thing of the past.  The mission now is to produce coins at a pace to make as much money as possible.  This means release after release.  These coins are being pumped out so fast that there is no time for QC.  Coins are just rushed through so quickly that the poor workers don't even have the time to screw a cap on properly.  The result is what we are seeing.  The RM will need to hire more workers for their returns department because they will be the busiest unit in the mint. 

So just to follow up on from my previous comment I sent my gothic crown back on Monday 14th feb for a replacement as it had a mark anyway today Friday 18th February got my replacement and it has absolutely no marks whatsoever and it’s absolutely brilliant.
Got to give credit to royal mint for such a fast replacement.

6A479088-2364-4128-A07C-A13BB192DE19.jpeg

115609AD-D469-4132-B815-E4ADA9CD729C.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Alz111 said:

So just to follow up on from my previous comment I sent my gothic crown back on Monday 14th feb for a replacement as it had a mark anyway today Friday 18th February got my replacement and it has absolutely no marks whatsoever and it’s absolutely brilliant.
Got to give credit to royal mint for such a fast replacement.

6A479088-2364-4128-A07C-A13BB192DE19.jpeg

115609AD-D469-4132-B815-E4ADA9CD729C.jpeg

I am really pleased for you.

I think the RM would be better off creating all of its coins with an antiqued or hammered look like the coins of the past.  The Henry VII British Monarch coin is a good example.  The surface would be so rough that all defects would be hidden.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

https://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Catalogue

Lot #550 2oz gold "Una & Lion" up for auction in March 5th & 6th - if anyone's interested. 

Great selection of other items in the sale  

Some nice coins in that auction.

Have they photoshopped the pictures of the Una and the Lion or is it my eyesight? It's like the coin has had the capsule removed really badly.

They've mentioned the main flaw of the coin in the description so they don't have much to gain by touching up the photo's.

I just received a silver coin I ordered from Monnaie de Paris (French mint).  The coin was expertly packaged.  When I open the box and the coin case, I noted that the coin was perfectly centered in the case, the capsule was intact and tight, and the coin was in perfect proof condition.   It's good to know that France's QC is alive and well!  They produce a lot of coins but not as many as the RM.  And, therein lies the answer.  You need time to do QC.  With so many coins rolling off the presses, there is no time for QC in Llantrisant.

Here’s my gothic portrait. Funny how my phones tries to autocorrect to gotcha! 

My only issue is with tiny piece of the frosting, at the very top of the right hand side of her braid. A very small dot is present, different to the rest. 

What do you guys think? Would this affect a grading? 

I have been waiting 2 months for them to send a paid returns form via email- they really are in a poor state at the mint right now. I don’t see how that is the consumers issue though, they shouldn’t have released so many coins so close together if they cannot handle it.

@BackyardBullion what do you think mate? Return? 

C55B4D22-B328-4CF7-B14F-75FF8D1350F3.jpeg

1 hour ago, GoldStatue said:

Some nice coins in that auction.

Have they photoshopped the pictures of the Una and the Lion or is it my eyesight? It's like the coin has had the capsule removed really badly.

They've mentioned the main flaw of the coin in the description so they don't have much to gain by touching up the photo's.

yeah, the photos don't look so great, the last one they sold through last year looked very similar. not sure if it may be the same coin being resold/relisted  

33 minutes ago, magpie79 said:

am sure your all aware but a few gold and silver gothics in the next cotr auction 

I see @James32 has fallen on hard times and finally assigned his Paddington collection  😅

As long as the snowman 50p doesnt get sold, James is doing OK.

last resort that one.

Talking of auctions 

might seem a silly question but I can’t figure it

can someone let me know what the s.sc9, s.sc5 etc stand for on sovereign auction listing for London coins 

I tried some leg work first before asking but can’t find anything 

thanks in advance 

Edited by magpie79

On 14/02/2022 at 22:07, Ducat916 said:

Got in touch with RM customer services again today. Pleasant staff & they confirmed if I return my Portrait they'll assess it & if deemed not up to standard, I'll get a replacement coin (would be reminted). So off to RM it goes....if I get a returns label - they said they'd email me one in 10 mins but it's been 7 hrs & still no email (checked my spam folder).

Come on RM, just put this right

Well RM have put this right. Received a new Portrait today & very pleased with it. Hope everyone else who returned got a good replacement.

20220219_174015.jpg

20220219_173940.jpg

36 minutes ago, Ducat916 said:

Well RM have put this right. Received a new Portrait today & very pleased with it. Hope everyone else who returned got a good replacement.

20220219_174015.jpg

20220219_173940.jpg

Yes! The new one I had to order arrived yesterday and is in much better condition. Happy to send for grading now!

7 hours ago, magpie79 said:

Talking of auctions 

might seem a silly question but I can’t figure it

can someone let me know what the s.sc9, s.sc5 etc stand for on sovereign auction listing for London coins 

I tried some leg work first before asking but can’t find anything 

thanks in advance 

Spink. They set out their reference sources here: https://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Standardreference