• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Where did you sign up for first options? 
I know the mint marque service CAN provide preferential offerings but not guaranteed.  

To late on the great engravers series, you have to get in on the first coin. I did for QB Tudor series, but I fear it’s going to be a dud after the Original QB stole the show and the great engravers have taken centre stage. The first Tudor QB also looks nothing special, maybe it has potential 🤔?!?

As a buyer with account manager at The Royal London Mint I personal feel I am flogging a dead horse a bit and I may bow out of too much investing in a lot of duds in an attempt to build a rapport there. Doesn’t seem to work the same as in a Rolex dealership. Spending more at the royal mint seems to give you very little or no more credibility or priory on decent coins. 

6 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

The first Tudor QB also looks nothing special, maybe it has potential

A lot depends on the 2nd coin (and box)... I think if they get both right, the set will do very well. It'll be interesting to see how much the 2nd gothic overshadows the release of the 2nd Tudor.

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

Where did you sign up for first options? 
I know the mint marque service CAN provide preferential offerings but not guaranteed.  

Via my account manager… it’s a completely different service… strange I know. 

Just now, Silverman2U said:

Via my account manager… it’s a completely different service… strange I know. 

It’s kinda like somehow I have 6 accounts with the royal mint but they can’t amalgamate them together. Seems like a time warp where high street banks along with the mint are stuck in the dark ages… heck I mean my business card with Lloyds doesn’t even have contactless payments, nor can I have them with Lloyds business?! Dark ages I tell ya’ 😂 

10 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

To late on the great engravers series, you have to get in on the first coin. I did for QB Tudor series, but I fear it’s going to be a dud after the Original QB stole the show and the great engravers have taken centre stage. The first Tudor QB also looks nothing special, maybe it has potential 🤔?!?

As a buyer with account manager at The Royal London Mint I personal feel I am flogging a dead horse a bit and I may bow out of too much investing in a lot of duds in an attempt to build a rapport there. Doesn’t seem to work the same as in a Rolex dealership. Spending more at the royal mint seems to give you very little or no more credibility or priory on decent coins. 

I think they are kicking the arse out of the Tudor series and would not touch with a barge pole personally.  The fact the gold releases for panther have not sold says it all for me. 
I am not sure how you build rapport with mint account manager. I certainly wouldn’t buy anything I thought had negative potential.

I think it may come down to how much you expect. I missed out on the gothic crown and my AM secured me the 2oz silver. A day or two later and it looks like I have the the portrait also. Do not get me wrong, I wanted the gold, but the person concerned delivered the goods with little requests. Worth having in that respect.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think they are kicking the arse out of the Tudor series and would not touch with a barge pole personally.  The fact the gold releases for panther have not sold says it all for me. 
I am not sure how you build rapport with mint account manager. I certainly wouldn’t buy anything I thought had negative potential.

I think it may come down to how much you expect. I missed out on the gothic crown and my AM secured me the 2oz silver. A day or two later and it looks like I have the the portrait also. Do not get me wrong, I wanted the gold, but the person concerned delivered the goods with little requests. Worth having in that respect.

Yes, I hear you on the panther, was my thought exactly ;) … still not sold. Then again GMT 2 root beer Rolex was like that a couple years back … turned itself around to make a tidy 25% above RRP if you had one now. ;) … we can have hope. 

Looking at resale prices on these it seems like the crown is a big winner, chards asking 780 for 2oz silver...

I was looking at 3 graces and una silver prices and I am absolutely stunned at what they are fetching for 2oz of silver especially una. For those with more experience where do you think the crown will fall in the pecking order of the great engravers? 

Is there a modern coin or series that has seen interest and price appreciation on the scale of these?

1 hour ago, Silverman2U said:

I was really excited for the tudor beasts as I missed the queen's beasts however as soon as I saw the pokemon looking panther my enthusiasm left me, I just think it looks awful compared to the QB's.

I must confess I keep looking at them and thinking it may be worth a punt as an investment but I just don't see it happening and I don't want to be left with a bunch of coins I don't actually like...and I know once I bought one I'd feel like I had to complete the set

19 hours ago, terakris said:

NGC have never returned anything ive sent them, capsules , COA, packaging around notes etc, despite asking for it and checking the option , it never comes back. Annoying on things like the large 5oz capsules.

That sucks! I've been sending usually 5-10 subs a year for the past 5 years and never not gotten them back.

On 09/12/2021 at 09:30, Jeffers46 said:

Mine has arrived!

568D381F-4C56-42B9-ABC0-C0E5DF07D51E.jpeg

Here's the best photos I could take of my coin - you can clearly see the same ding plus another on mine - I'll be phoning RM tomorrow.

I wonder if anybody else on the forum has the same issue - is it worth opening a fresh thread to ask?

139562175_GothicCrownQuarteredArms2ozsilverproofwithdings.thumb.png.ed8b3ce25c573ba803edc2cf38935aa0.png2146982195_GothicCrownQuarteredArms2ozsilverproofcloseup.thumb.png.f3c21b1b32923488576270fca9307f04.png

@MarkV the likelihood of a replacement is slim I’d guess.  Hope you can sort it.  If for any reason you return this for a refund please can you offer it on here first to those who missed out. 
someone will offer you RRP and postage for it. 

3 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@MarkV the likelihood of a replacement is slim I’d guess.  Hope you can sort it.  If for any reason you return this for a refund please can you offer it on here first to those who missed out. 
someone will offer you RRP and postage for it. 

Don't RM do restrikes (or whatever they're called)?

42 minutes ago, MarkV said:

Here's the best photos I could take of my coin - you can clearly see the same ding plus another on mine - I'll be phoning RM tomorrow.

I wonder if anybody else on the forum has the same issue - is it worth opening a fresh thread to ask?

139562175_GothicCrownQuarteredArms2ozsilverproofwithdings.thumb.png.ed8b3ce25c573ba803edc2cf38935aa0.png2146982195_GothicCrownQuarteredArms2ozsilverproofcloseup.thumb.png.f3c21b1b32923488576270fca9307f04.png

This is interesting as a key point of recognition on the original 1847 (though under the three lions, not the rampant) is a small dot. It may be that it is intentional. Here is a picture from my original proof Undecimo: 

6B589E3E-5E72-43C1-97B0-0037294C8654.jpeg

3 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

This is interesting as a key point of recognition on the original 1847 (though under the three lions, not the rampant) is a small dot. It may be that it is intentional. Here is a picture from my original proof Undecimo: 

Isn't it on the single lion on the OP?

I like the suggestion though

43 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

Ah sorry. I clearly can't read!

I think we are being kind to the mint. If it turns out it was intentional I doubt I will actually believe it!! Especially as others don’t have this dot, from what I have seen. I still don’t have mine in hand…☹️

Edited by AndrewSL76

55 minutes ago, MarkV said:

Don't RM do restrikes (or whatever they're called)?

Hi Mark, call tomorrow. I called when I got mine on Thursday and the operator had to check stocks, but informed me that she could place a hold on another one if I sent this one back. My guess is the ones they have ‘reserved’ for any special sets they may be using for immediate replacements, and then potentially reminting the faulty ones? Worth phoning sooner rather than later in case this is no longer the case though!

21 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

RM are producing proofs with intentional dings?!?