• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

If the mint do not make it explicit in their marketing , before release (what have we now, 4days before release if indeed the6th Dec) they will quite rightly be accused of profiteering at customers expense. Folk would rightly be pi**ed off if they never had full details before purchasing.

Also I think it would be unwise to produce the information on variations only at release date, they know it will be a mad scramble and folk will purchase given the chance for fear of missing out. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

56 minutes ago, Stu said:

If the mint do not make it explicit in their marketing , before release (what have we now, 4days before release if indeed the6th Dec) they will quite rightly be accused of profiteering at customers expense. Folk would rightly be pi**ed off if they never had full details before purchasing.

Also I think it would be unwise to produce the information on variations only at release date, they know it will be a mad scramble and folk will purchase given the chance for fear of missing out. 

Will they do a 4 coin set of the 2x 2 oz gold coins? 🤓

I hope they don’t also come out with a “lettered edge” variation. 

43 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Will they do a 4 coin set of the 2x 2 oz gold coins? 🤓

I hope they don’t also come out with a “lettered edge” variation. 

I’m surprised they haven’t come out with a lettered edge!

Just look at the Bond 5oz silver. It got released with a different registration mark. They could do that again another two times!!! 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

36 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I wonder if the mintages and price of the grained and plain edge varieties will be the same.  And which variety will be the more desirable one.

Should be interesting, I think that's my beef. Knowing what has happened with the last 2 engraver coins prices you knew that these would be an amazing investment if you got lucky but if there are 4 different coins I worry that may make a very exclusive coin less valuable....also how pissed would you be if you could only get 2 or 3 of the set? As a collector the thought of that would be quite off-putting.

I suppose on the flipside people will want to have all 4 and that could, weirdly, if its possible make these more desirable.

I suppose its a moot point as, while I'll be doing my best I am resigned to the fact my chances of getting a gold are slim to none. I imagine that the silver might take a bit longer to sell though and I guess this will be as good a first silver purchase as any!

I'm gonna ask the question!.......But please do not hate me for it!  What do you think these will re sell for?   I've been asking around a few dealers on the QT and have got a mixed response.    Like most on here I do buy and sell, I buy a few of the coins I really like sell a few at a realistic price to other members as it subsidies the one I keep.  It's all if's and but's at this stage as there's zero guarantee of getting any of these but would love to hear what you think, I have my own thoughts which I will share but don't want to influence anyones response......Again please don't hate me for asking the question that most of us are thinking.  

This is not Una and the Lion, with mintages for the 2oz gold effectively at 700 compared to 225. Soon it will be mostly flippers and bad holders owning these with no one to sell to. If I was going to flip I would do it ASAP.

What did your mixed responses consist of?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

31 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

This is not Una and the Lion, with mintages for the 2oz gold effectively at 700 compared to 225. Soon it will be mostly flippers and bad holders owning these with no one to sell to. If I was going to flip I would do it ASAP.

What did your mixed responses consist of?

So is it accepted that the 2oz gold mintage is double because there are two varieties?

FWIW I don't think these will do as well as the previous two. That's largely because there are 2 separate coins, increases in mintages (even assuming the 2oz gold isn't double).

Una is the best for me and probably always will be. 

I think the more the mint dilute the specialness of this series (due to slowly increasing mintages) it might eventually end up as a bit of meh.

I really hope not, this has been a great series, maybe the best for me.

I think the mint are in a tough place with the Engravers because they are watching flippers making nice profits and seeing collectors struggle to buy them. The mint will obviously be looking at how they can make further profit and how they can make the coin more available to collectors who want them in their collections.

So my guess is they are increasing the mintage and variety so they can a. make a nice profit and b. try and bring some normality back to the collectors 

I think we all have the same gut feeling that this will end like the music legend series with the flippers moving on eventually and the interest stabilising but the appeal of this series is very strong globally so the hype isn’t ending with the next release imo but still find the Gothic Crown an odd choice even if the original is iconic 

In respect of the 2oz gold, I wouldn’t worry about a steep rise in the mintage figures as the numbers that are being made of the plain edge are lower than those quoted above.

Someone said 150 and it is actually 125. Sure there will be more total 2oz GP coins than the Una or 3G, but not that much more.

22 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

In respect of the 2oz gold, I wouldn’t worry about a steep rise in the mintage figures as the numbers that are being made of the plain edge are lower than those quoted above.

Someone said 150 and it is actually 125. Sure there will be more total 2oz GP coins than the Una or 3G, but not that much more.

Are these confirmed mintage figures for the 2 Oz gold grained and plain edge varieties?

My thought, some dealers will be low balling the price on the Gothic especially if they have been nailed and/or can’t sell the 3 graces. 

The Una went under the radar for most so I think everyone piled into the 3 graces to make up for it.

There will be decent returns for those lucky enough to get them, however I feel there will be some greedy flipper disappointed.  

@Zhorro has hit the nail on the head with his comments, 

TBH  after the 2022 sov and now the Goth, I’ll be happy once it’s all over, 2022 will be a mental year as the RM marketing machine will be in full force. 

9 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

My thought, some dealers will be low balling the price on the Gothic especially if they have been nailed and/or can’t sell the 3 graces. 

The Una went under the radar for most so I think everyone piled into the 3 graces to make up for it.

There will be decent returns for those lucky enough to get them, however I feel there will be some greedy flipper disappointed.  

@Zhorro has hit the nail on the head with his comments, 

TBH  after the 2022 sov and now the Goth, I’ll be happy once it’s all over, 2022 will be a mental year as the RM marketing machine will be in full force. 

I don’t think any dealers are struggling to sell the Three Graces are they? Sure the prices will be lower than those offered in the hours and days following release but the premium on the RRP is still huge. 

Im seeing a falling trend, it’s only my opinion and some might say otherwise which I’d be happy to see.

Ive seen the 2oz silver 3 grace PF70UC first release drop to £900. Still not a bad return if you picked up for RRP and grading cost.  

The key one to watch is this weeks London coin auction as there’s a few golds up and should give a good indication of where the free market is heading. 

Don't get me wrong if I got a 2oz gold 3 graces I’d be jumping for joy, would I pay 21k+  for it? Hell no. Then again in a few years and it’s jumped to 50k paying 21k would look like a genius investment.  Unfortunately I’m not in a position where we could risk and hold something like this for a few years and to risk losses.  Like I said if you pick up for RRP it’s winner winner chicken dinner! 

1 minute ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Im seeing a falling trend, it’s only my opinion and some might say otherwise which I’d be happy to see.

Ive seen the 2oz silver 3 grace PF70UC first release drop to £900. Still not a bad return if you picked up for RRP and grading cost.  

The key one to watch is this weeks London coin auction as there’s a few golds up and should give a good indication of where the free market is heading. 

Don't get me wrong if I got a 2oz gold 3 graces I’d be jumping for joy, would I pay 21k+  for it? Hell no. Then again in a few years and it’s jumped to 50k paying 21k would look like a genius investment.  Unfortunately I’m not in a position where we could risk and hold something like this for a few years and to risk losses.  Like I said if you pick up for RRP it’s winner winner chicken dinner! 

Agreed!  For any of these denominations, picking at issue price will never put you at a loss. The only impediment to most people (like yours truly!) is the massive upfront investment.

Yes, this November / December has been crazy hasn’t it! 

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

I not convinced that the mint actually cares about collectors!  If they did, they would:

1) allow people to pre-order,

2) tell people when coins are to be released,

3) let people see what the coins look like, so they can make an informed decision whether to buy, and

4) improve the quality of the finished products.

At the moment the mint just seems to be relying on people madly scrambing around on the day of release, and hoping they can't be bother to send defective items back.

It's like you spoke from my mind!!

The mint are aware of the goings on in the secondary market,and could stabilise things if they wanted too.

But in this day and age people want what they cant have ( rolex syndrome 🤔) and the mint knows fine well they will sell out and as a business that's priority number one!

Best of luck to anyone that can get in and out unscathed with a nice profit.

All roads lead to the same place ( buy item and hope it sells for more) 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

4 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Are any dealers taking pre-orders?

I contacted Lawrence from Chards, and Allgoldcoins. It’s the first time I have tried this since I saw that they both took preorders for the 2022 Sovereign, and I was oblivious to all of that like a village idiot. 😅

But Chards isn’t taking preorders for the Gothic Crown, and Allgoldcoins hasn’t responded to my messages.

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I contacted Lawrence from Chards, and Allgoldcoins. It’s the first time I have tried this since I saw that they both took preorders for the 2022 Sovereign, and I was oblivious to all of that like a village idiot. 😅

But Chards isn’t taking preorders for the Gothic Crown, and Allgoldcoins hasn’t responded to my messages.

8 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Are any dealers taking pre-orders?

Not that I'm aware and I've been stalking allgoldcoins 

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

Can we expect the email reveal today????? Or will they drag it out to Sunday??

Oh come on James!   We will all get the the email 50 minutes after they have all sold out.   If you get an email the day before a launch it's code for the RM thinking it's not going to be that popular😂