• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

I am almost 100% certain it will be a matte proof as that’s how they’ve done the £5 BUs since 2018.

Just IMO… the matte finishes are far superior to the proofs. The 2022 SOTD, for example, is really a terrific coin to behold. It’s almost iridescent in certain angles. I think the matte finish works particularly well for intricate designs.

Good luck to whoever can afford and manage to snag a £5 BU.

Thanks for your opinion. I didn't realise they were matte so it's helped me make my mind up. 

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Just IMO… the matte finishes are far superior to the proofs

I'm the other way on this; I can't stand the RM modern matte finished coins. I much prefered the BU finish of the 2017 £5 and SOTD sov.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

18 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I'm the other way on this; I can't stand the RM modern matte finished coins. I much prefered the BU finish of the 2017 £5 and SOTD sov.

Is is definitely a love or hate kind of thing. 

For me, the traditional BU finished looked too much like regular bullion, at least in pics, I don’t have any so don’t know what they look like in hand.

9 hours ago, BiigT said:

Appreciate that, thanks. Can I get any views on buying the 5 Sov BU piece in terms of it appreciating in the future. I normally stick to proofs, but the low mintage has tempted me. I'm just trying to sense check my thinking from more seasoned buyers. 

Yes it’s quite interesting to see that the BU mintage is less than the proof version. I don’t think that’s happened before.

Like you I am debating if I should try to pick up the BU. Given the design I think it should be a long term winner. 

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

Mate have you had a 2022 £5 BU in hand?   The finish when they get it right is stunning, the newer mattes have almost a pearlescent finish.  

don’t get me wrong I’ve had more issues with matte sovereigns than almost anything else. 

3 minutes ago, SiCole said:

Only problem with the 5 BU sovereign is I think you will get it cheaper later in the year. A 2022 sold on the coinery last month for £1.95k plus 16% fees. Lovely coins though

given the higher RRP and much higher mintages - you may be right i think on some of Tuesday releases

1 hour ago, SiCole said:

Only problem with the 5 BU sovereign is I think you will get it cheaper later in the year. A 2022 sold on the coinery last month for £1.95k plus 16% fees. Lovely coins though

So that’s about £2,320 versus the issue price of about £2,600 or so?

One could of course luck out every now and then, but I personally don’t think one data point is indicative of much.

6 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

So that’s about £2,320 versus the issue price of about £2,600 or so?

One could of course luck out every now and then, but I personally don’t think one data point is indicative of much.

1 hour ago, SiCole said:

https://auctions.thecoincabinet.com/lots/view/4-7W7JJ1/2022-gold-5-pounds-5-sovereigns-platinum-jubilee-matte-bu-ngc-ms-70-matte-6671342-003-box-coa-agw11777-oz

one in Coin Cabinets current sale, that went live yesterday 

Really torn tbh. What was the mintage on the 2022 jubilee? The rrp for the new one is £2.9k which isn't exactly cheap. I could buy it and see how much demand there is in the first few days to consider flipping it, but I don't normally flip so it doesn't really appeal.

1 minute ago, BiigT said:

Really torn tbh. What was the mintage on the 2022 jubilee? The rrp for the new one is £2.9k which isn't exactly cheap. I could buy it and see how much demand there is in the first few days to consider flipping it, but I don't normally flip so it doesn't really appeal.

You can always return to RM for refunds within 28 days because  " reasons '

1 minute ago, Paul said:

You can always return to RM for refunds within 28 days because  " reasons '

Good point, I'd not thought of that. I'm pre ordering and don't know how that works if I just wanted to return it. I wouldn't want to mess the dealer around. 

Also there'll be people buying Tues for a quick flip to raise funds to pay for Christmas.

BBP published expected delivery in January.

Credit/debit cards will come due, so expect an over abundance of an already increased mintage in the worst month of the year for money also add Christmas costs, winter fuel bills 

Perfect storm for this to possibly be a damp squib release 

The 1989 sovereign was quite a revelation for me. I bought a proof 89 sovereign in capsule and case with certificate back in 1999 for £90 then tried to sell it 2003 to a big bulion dealer and was told over the phone he is not all that interested and offer me just £50. I decide to keep it but sold it in 2007 for £170 on ebay and within a few weeks it was going for over £800 there. The edition size is not small by today's standard for commemoratives but it depends on demands and it might not happen for 10, 15 or more years till prices goes up for some of these. Or might never happen at all.

It's all sound advice and if I wasn't the person in the quandary I'd be giving the same. No one has a crystal ball so it's just a best guess effort using previous sales, special designs and other available data to try and calculate the chance of it being a sound investment. 

I'm not a flipper so I think I'll just park that idea and think about whether I want it for 10+ years. The low mintage makes it attractive, but I'm wondering whether to keep my 3k and put it towards something from the coronation. I have a proof sov on pre order as well, so it's not like I'm missing out. I just can't make a bloomin decision on this one. 

6 minutes ago, BiigT said:

It's all sound advice and if I wasn't the person in the quandary I'd be giving the same. No one has a crystal ball so it's just a best guess effort using previous sales, special designs and other available data to try and calculate the chance of it being a sound investment. 

I'm not a flipper so I think I'll just park that idea and think about whether I want it for 10+ years. The low mintage makes it attractive, but I'm wondering whether to keep my 3k and put it towards something from the coronation. I have a proof sov on pre order as well, so it's not like I'm missing out. I just can't make a bloomin decision on this one. 

I would try to get the biggest you can afford and sit on it. 

Try for a five or a four set. Split, grade. Hope for 70s.  Keep the biggest and sell off the smaller to pay off your costs. Fives will always do well in the long term for steady  appreciation