• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

1 minute ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Do you need to load your RM account up with money first or is debit payment quick enough.

That's only for bullion sales, I don't think it's required for retail sales.  Biggest ball ache is 3D authenticating via your mobile phone so make sure you have it to hand.  

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. Been following this thread and thought it could be a good time to ask a question that's always been on my mind.

Apart from the 3 graces release which I must admit I bought for the sole purpose of selling on (as I'm sure a lot of us would admit did also) I wouldn't consider myself a flipper in the general consensus of the perceived definition. I'm sure like others if I decide to sell something I've bought I'd like to sell it for more than I paid and certainly don't want to lose money if that can be helped. I also sometimes buy coins to enjoy for a period of time but also have an inkling that I may sell down the road

So here in lies my question. I completely understand the distain towards the evilBay/fleeBay seller asking for exuberant prices way beyond the 16% eBay commission they fall back on to justify a 500% above retail price, but why are individual sellers of coins soon after release (also known as flippers) vilified but precious metal dealers who will do the same are not held to the same standard? I am sure there will be some online dealers selling sets above the Royal Mint prices just like some individuals will on this forum, Facebook groups and in auctions hoping to achieve top dollar. I am by no means saying that dealers should also be vilified, I'm more asking if the general consensus is its ok for dealers to add a premium to the retail price shortly after release, why is it not ok for individuals to do the same (within reason of course)?

Would be interesting to hear peoples point of views 😊

Looking for 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins

7 minutes ago, Heirlooms said:

but why are individual sellers of coins soon after release (also known as flippers) vilified but precious metal dealers who will do the same are not held to the same standard?

Jealousy 😂

I know im jealous of people who managed to get a Three Graces.

13 minutes ago, Heirlooms said:

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. Been following this thread and thought it could be a good time to ask a question that's always been on my mind.

Apart from the 3 graces release which I must admit I bought for the sole purpose of selling on (as I'm sure a lot of us would admit did also) I wouldn't consider myself a flipper in the general consensus of the perceived definition. I'm sure like others if I decide to sell something I've bought I'd like to sell it for more than I paid and certainly don't want to lose money if that can be helped. I also sometimes buy coins to enjoy for a period of time but also have an inkling that I may sell down the road

So here in lies my question. I completely understand the distain towards the evilBay/fleeBay seller asking for exuberant prices way beyond the 16% eBay commission they fall back on to justify a 500% above retail price, but why are individual sellers of coins soon after release (also known as flippers) vilified but precious metal dealers who will do the same are not held to the same standard? I am sure there will be some online dealers selling sets above the Royal Mint prices just like some individuals will on this forum, Facebook groups and in auctions hoping to achieve top dollar. I am by no means saying that dealers should also be vilified, I'm more asking if the general consensus is its ok for dealers to add a premium to the retail price shortly after release, why is it not ok for individuals to do the same (within reason of course)?

At least your regular joe flipper doesn't send you copious amounts of junk mail. The same can't be said for Harrington and Byrne. Professional flippers.

(Disclaimer: if I can't get a sovereign from the mint, all gold coins, chards etc, then I will buy one from them. 😂)

@Heirlooms I followed this closely to with the rise of Pokemon card flipping during covid. The general census was that one pays taxes, employs people and brings value to the customer. The flipper only brings value to them. 

I disagree and both are price gouging and done what many did once the prices levelled off. Never bought from them again for taking advantage of people that had bought from them for a long period of time. 

People tend to hate flippers because it stops them from getting the huge return or the coin they want. But the dealers do the same thing. 

Edited by FlorinCollector

11 minutes ago, Heirlooms said:

Deep down we are all flippers.

We buy to increase are spending power down the road.

Some choose to do it right away which creates a false market and some individuals get burned badly if the items in question turn out to be slow burners or not liked at all.

Many people buy the hype without even truly understanding what they are getting themselves into then cry fowl if it doesn't work out financially. 

If I'm fortunate enough to get one tomorrow I personally will be holding long term ,but I've no problem admitting if I was offered a nice percentage over what I pay I will sell on without question. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, FlorinCollector said:

But the dealers do the same thing. 

I said the same thing a few years back but got pounced on. "That its within their right" "Supply and demand" was their response but IMO dealers shouldnt be allowed to inflate prices at short notice. Its illegal for highstreet shops to do it, so why can they?

1 minute ago, Swampy said:

It’s moved on 6 pages since I was last here 😊😆💪

Get some sleep folk!  Be bright eyed and bushy tailed for Monday 9am… it’s going to be special 😊💫

Good hunting and post pics x 

Im at work early so already awake. I'll have my phone, laptop, tablet, PC all ready 😁

Edited by danmc82

7 minutes ago, Connor said:

At least your regular joe flipper doesn't send you copious amounts of junk mail. The same can't be said for Harrington and Byrne. Professional flippers.

(Disclaimer: if I can't get a sovereign from the mint, all gold coins, chards etc, then I will buy one from them. 😂)

I hope that was alphabetical order! 

Chards

6 minutes ago, James32 said:

Deep down we are all flippers.

We buy to increase are spending power down the road.

Some choose to do it right away which creates a false market and some individuals get burned badly if the items in question turn out to be slow burners or not liked at all.

Many people buy the hype without even truly understanding what they are getting themselves into then cry fowl if it doesn't work out financially. 

If I'm fortunate enough to get one tomorrow I personally will be holding long term ,but I've no problem admitting if I was offered a nice percentage over what I pay I will sell on without question. 

I seem to remember trotting this photo out some time ago:

MO9A3009.thumb.jpg.60d208ad58be71ce140d97aee0fc52a2.jpg.d22703f037c84e13137a3881b077979d.jpg

Pinball Wizard and Flipper Table 😎

Chards

Most dealers dont want to be above the Royal Mint issue price at release so hold back at least some of their allocation for a while before advertising at higher prices.

I remember at the release of the 3 graces a well none dealer that I often buy from offered non for sale at release but much later did so at much higher prices.

Just now, goldhunter said:

Most dealers dont want to be above the Royal Mint issue price at release so hold back at least some of their allocation for a while before advertising at higher prices.

I remember at the release of the 3 graces a well none dealer that I often buy from offered non for sale at release but much later did so at much higher prices.

Got to make a living…

I’ve no issue with this and, I suspect, neither do you.  

Unless, of course, the dealer is taking the ‘&/££ and then we don’t use them again 😎

A friend of mine recently handed his PS5 reservation to a friend as he already owned a PS5. Rather than sell on for profit, which would've been quite easy in the run up to Christmas, he allowed someone that genuinely wanted to own a PS5 to buy it instead.

I think this is the argument. The real collectors want to own these coins and those that buy them to immediately sell are taking advantage of the situation. Personally, I think it's harder to apply the logic to coins as it is PS5's.  Unlike PS5's, every collector would want their coins to appreciate in value and get a higher return if/when they decide to sell.

If you're lucky enough to get what you're after at RRP, well done, good luck to you. If not, that's a shame, but those that own them in the face of high demand are free to do what they want with them. Some bought to sell, others may just give in to temptation when faced with quick profit.

I don't think anyone should be judged. Just my take on things. Although, I wonder how my friend would feel if he sees his mate selling the PS5 😂