• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Can you profit BIG with silver without apocalyptic hyperinflation, US dollar crash and all those things

albi1

Hi,

I have been watching Robert Kyosaki s youtube videos for some time. As I understand, he predicts that the US dollar will crash and silver (and gold and bitcoin) will go up in price dramatically which could be a great opportunity to profit if you are prepared for that scenario.
I mean, if the US government is printing money as it does, it makes sense to me that hyperinflation could occur. 

However, let's assume for a moment that such "an apocalyptic" scenario will not happen for more than a decade or two (we are playing what/if game). Let's assume that people will not bring buch of worthless cash just to buy bread and milk at a grocery store or whatever during hyperinflation. Let's just assume it won't happen soon.

Now I wonder, if I invest in silver right now, is it possible to profit BIG without an "apocalyptic scenario" in the next 5 years or so. I am talking about profit which could be bigger 10+ times more than the initial investment. What do you think?

My strategy would be to just buy and hold until the price comes up.

(I understand that no one knows for sure what will happen, I would just like to know possible scenarios without "apocalyptic hyperinflation") 

1 hour ago, albi1 said:

I have been watching Robert Kyosaki s youtube videos

Now I wonder, if I invest in silver right now, is it possible to profit BIG without an "apocalyptic scenario" in the next 5 years or so. I

I would not pay too much attention to Kiosaki, he is a grifter that got rich from selling a book & board game about how to get rich. ;) 
Dont get me wrong I have read 3 of his books (Fake was OK i guess), but there are much more knowledgable & less egotistical & greedy people to learn from. 
He will jump on band wagons and be not that knowledgable about the subject matter. 
I bet he makes more money from his radio show, being a guest & affiliate marketing than crypto LOL. 
This time last year I remember him knowing absolutely zero about crypto, now he is an expert (apparently). 

Anyhow. 
An economic downturn is on the cards of sorts. Check out Kitco Its a much more reliable source of information.
I am not so sure about hyper inflation, but probably a prolonged economic downturn, like in the 70's. 
There will certainly be opportunities for those who know what they are doing to invest and make moves,
when everyone else is panicking, selling & generally being idiots, like last year. 

I have about 30% physical metals, 50% cash & 20% stocks.
I will mainly be looking at Dividend stocks if or when we see a collapse. 
That way if it lasts 10 years then I will still be getting paid. 

With regards to silver your best bet would be Mining stocks if you want a decent return within 5 years. 
It should pop this year i think though, they are very undervalued. Gold and copper too. 

With physical, you cant rely on Silver hitting £200 anytime soon & anyway its usually
only in short periods(weeks or even days), so advertising, selling, posting physical can be hard work. 
Plus who would buy silver at all time highs?

The apocalypse or hyper inflation if it does happen will not last that long I dont think anyway, outside of nuclear war. 
Stacking non perishable foods, a water supply, items to barter (I stack coffee) & protection would be more important. 
I guess you can throw you silver bars at robbers. ;)

I like the metal as an inflation hedge (and thats somehting to be paying attention too atm),
but I still trade it regularly on price spikes (like in Feb and apparently now LOL). 

You can buy paper silver on the stock market, but mining stocks are better IMO. 
Plenty of threads covering all that in detail - 'miner picks' especially. :)

https://www.youtube.com/c/kitco/videos

Edited by Stacktastic

Take everything you see on YT with a huge pinch of salt.  Many people now can feel economic change in the winds and having a diverse portfolio is key.  If you buy silver you need spot to double just to return a small profit.  Just go into stacking with your eyes wide open and you are not just buying magic beans because the nice man on YT told you to buy them. 

Will your stack save you in economic meltdown or from hyperinflation?  Probably not, in the worst case economic scenario many will lose their jobs, so ask yourself do your plans allow for a sustained period of unemployment?  Can your stack be liquidated into profit or return enough income  to keep the wolfs away from the door for 6-12 months?   Most working families need 2.5-3k per month coming in just to get by.

The best weapon against any serious economic change is to be debt free and solvent, so as part of your game plan driving down debt can be a sensible option, though boring as hell and you don't have anything shiny to hold. 

I see this totally bizarre attitude  from some stackers almost wishing for the end of the economic system to happen and they think they will become rich over night, it's painfully shortsighted.  Like going to the bookies and putting a million quid bet on for the world to end the day after......either way you can't collect. 

Collecting silver is a great hobby, gold can preserve your wealth providing you can afford to hold it for the long term.

Cheers

Dave 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave
Typo

Agree with what Dave says above.

Do the boring/sensible stuff first if you can.  Pay down expensive debt and build a rainy day fund in cash.
Once you've done that, decide what you want to invest in for 'the future'.

For the proportion that you put into PMs (versus stocks, bonds, property etc) - then decide on your investment vehicle.

In the UK - I think physical is good for gold, ETFs and/or miners are perhaps best for silver and platinum (and gold).

Other opinions are available, and may vary!

Remember also to take pleasure from holding the shiny stuff.  While most of my PM investment money for silver and platinum is in ETFs, I have about 60 oz of physical 999 silver and 5 oz of physical 999.5 platinum and LOVE owning these items as objects.

Edited by Stuntman

2 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I see this totally bizarre attitude  from some stackers almost wishing for the end of the economic system to happen and they think they will become rich over nigh

They will be rich in theory, but no one will buy thier metal as a few kg of rice, some eggs & bottle of whisky will be worth 10x more as they are living in a war zone. ;)

Edited by Stacktastic

What you are asking is, does having a lot of insurance cover will make you profit?  No, it covers you for losses. 

The hyperinflation scenario means your silver pays for ordinary things without using increasingly valueless currency. You can also preserve some wealth, savings across a period of economic turmoil.

There is another scenario, that silver is manipulated to be dramatically undervalued, which will be corrected in time.  In this case, the price of silver will surge.  However the proponents usually assert this will usher in a economic reset and your really back to the preservation of wealth.  You will seem to have made a paper profit but not in practical real terms as the economy collapses around. 

Yet another scenario is some situation causing a price bubble, and there would be a significant profit to be made.  This will be short lived and unlikely to reach near 10x, as at some price point before that thousands of tons of supply would become economical to come to market. 

I’ve been watching Robert Kyosaki for some time. Initially I liked him too.  But on closer examination he appears to be non trustworthy. I signed up to his free “live” webinars twice. Both were exactly the same and clearly not live. They were simply marketing tools to sell you his overpriced strategies on how to get rich. He’s a successful salesman. 

On 19/05/2021 at 15:15, albi1 said:

I am talking about profit which could be bigger 10+ times more than the initial investment. What do you think?

Silver is about £620 today, which means that we are looking at about £6000 plus a kilo for 10x returns. Do I see that happening anytime soon - not really? I would be realistic and happy with a 30% increase on current prices. However, I think that even at £1000 a kilo we will face a situation far worse than 2008 and a lot of people will be without a livelihood, which would be very sad. That's just me!!!

All you can base future increases on is past performance. Forget all the apocalypse nonsense - who will want silver when struggling to find food ? In the event that society broke down who would you rather be friends with - someone who owns a lot of silver or a mechanic ?!

If you are lucky and in no hurry you could maybe double your investment if you buy well and sell better (just like any other product). You could, potentially make a 10x return on some numismatic silver but it just wont happen for generic...

And if i'm wrong i've always got my silver to fall back on !

Use silver as a savings device just like other things. If you want to become rich in precious metals become a dealer or pumper. The precious metals I have bought in the past have doubled in price. Lovely as that is would it make me rich if I sold it all on forum right now? No! I couldn’t afford to buy that much at the time. At least I have it though because many others do not. My stacking/collecting/saving is for later on when I’m older to help in retirement possibly, or hand down to my kids for them to keep hold of for a rainy day necessity maybe? Most rich people either work their arse off for almost 24 hours a day or are lucky enough to have money handed down to them to either use wisely or spunk up the wall. Save more than you spend and enjoy the shiny precious stuff as part of a safety net that you can use if or when needed. There are plenty of things to buy and sell they will make you rich over time but becoming rich over night doesn’t happen very often to the majority of people. I think we all secretly wish gold and silver went to the moon but it’s usually people pumping it for sale that earn the money from gullible individuals desperate to be rich rather than comfortable. Happy stacking. 👍

On 19/05/2021 at 17:29, GoldDiggerDave said:

having a diverse portfolio is key.

Yeah exactly. Timing the cycle also. 
Buy undervalued assets when they go cheap. 
Silver & silver miners last year at £11-14 on ounce or oil for example,
then maybe other stocks when it hots a bear market 
and property when that bubble crashes.
Or boats, cars & other luxury items from desperate people
And Gold when everything is tickerty boo & out of favour. 

Not panicking and seeing a long term outlook is what I learnt. 
Set a plan of 10-20 years and accumulate gradually. 
Maybe buy a lot to start with - I bought a few queens beast sets at £14 and ounce. 
Then little and often. I try to buy one SOV a month, when the prices are a bit lower. 
Bought a lot recently for example.

Switching back to silver now as a few quid on spot will not mean anything if it doubles. ;)
I would still like to see £14 silver at some point this year. 

19 hours ago, GenX said:

he appears to be non trustworthy.

You can trust he will sell his granny to make an extra few quid. Grifter through and through. 
Greedy, narcissist & he is exactly what he pretends to hate - Not sure he realises that though??
You would think someone that has so much property & assets would just chill out and enjoy the beauty of life? 
I guess if you are from a country that has no social services dodgy currency & corruption you kind of have to be like that. 
But in Hawaii Robert? no. Live in one of your many luxury beach condos and enjoy the sun and bikini clad ladies.  ;)

I find that especially with Asian & Indian men (but throughout the world) that they are conditioned to just keep going. 
I remember the book 'I will teach you to be rich' The guys indian dad went to a car dealer 20 times to beat them down on price. 
He was then haggling over the flipping feet guards for a few quid. Seriously WTF.
Just buy the car and enjoy some nice time with your son, rather than turning him into a penny pinching ****-head.
Rubbish book that was - bad advice. 

2 hours ago, TeaTime said:

someone who owns a lot of silver or a mechanic ?!

A gun smith or butcher would be more handy, unless you need to service your tank. ;)

Edited by Stacktastic

4 hours ago, Chrissyblards1 said:

I think we all secretly wish gold and silver went to the moon but it’s usually people pumping it for sale that earn the money from gullible individuals desperate to be rich rather than comfortable.

profits that you did not earn is wealth taken from someone else.

On 19/05/2021 at 15:15, albi1 said:

Now I wonder, if I invest in silver right now, is it possible to profit BIG without an "apocalyptic scenario" in the next 5 years or so. I am talking about profit which could be bigger 10+ times more than the initial investment. What do you think?

people trade silver. they invest in things that they can make progress on and grow.

HH

On 19/05/2021 at 09:29, GoldDiggerDave said:

Take everything you see on YT with a huge pinch of salt.  Many people now can feel economic change in the winds and having a diverse portfolio is key.  If you buy silver you need spot to double just to return a small profit.  Just go into stacking with your eyes wide open and you are not just buying magic beans because the nice man on YT told you to buy them. 

Will your stack save you in economic meltdown or from hyperinflation?  Probably not, in the worst case economic scenario many will lose their jobs, so ask yourself do your plans allow for a sustained period of unemployment?  Can your stack be liquidated into profit or return enough income  to keep the wolfs away from the door for 6-12 months?   Most working families need 2.5-3k per month coming in just to get by.

The best weapon against any serious economic change is to be debt free and solvent, so as part of your game plan driving down debt can be a sensible option, though boring as hell and you don't have anything shiny to hold. 

I see this totally bizarre attitude  from some stackers almost wishing for the end of the economic system to happen and they think they will become rich over night, it's painfully shortsighted.  Like going to the bookies and putting a million quid bet on for the world to end the day after......either way you can't collect. 

Collecting silver is a great hobby, gold can preserve your wealth providing you can afford to hold it for the long term.

Cheers

Dave 

I couldn’t have said it any better! 👍

One other thought I have on this topic. We really, really don’t want silver and gold prices go to the moon.   Because everything else (that use or depend on these metals) will be even more expensive.   No one wants to live in a world where everything is unobtainable except for the ultra rich.  

6 hours ago, SilverStorm said:

One other thought I have on this topic. We really, really don’t want silver and gold prices go to the moon.   Because everything else (that use or depend on these metals) will be even more expensive.   No one wants to live in a world where everything is unobtainable except for the ultra rich.  

Are we not already there? As sexist as this may sound a working man got paid enough in the 70’s and 80’s to afford to buy a home, have a foreign holiday and support his wife and  family.  In 2021 houses are out of the reach of a normal working 18 year olds, how much does a working man now have to earn to afford a house and support a family?   

Both partners have to work to make ends meet in many families, having children is put off just like not getting onto the housing market with a 35 year stitch up deal until their early 30’s.

Edited by GoldDiggerDave
Typo

I don't strictly play the silver markets as such, I tend to play the numismatic market instead.

Thetrick is to find coins that appeal to the largest number of people. So for example, Victorian crowns are always popular with stackers and collectors, but rather than picking up the 1889s (which are everywhere!), I'd go for 1888, 1890-1892 dates, and if I can get them a little above spot at the same price as the common garden 1889, then I feel it's a good win, and if I can get a young head crown at the same price, better still, especially an 1847.

Diversifying what you hold so that you can appeal to the greatest number of people when reselling. If the silver price plunges for whatever reason, then I've still got the collector market as an audience. If the price of silver soars, putting off collectors, then the silver bugs will buy.

9 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Are we not already there? As sexist as this may sound a working man got paid enough in the 70’s and 80’s to afford to buy a home, have a foreign holiday and support his wife and  family.  In 2021 houses are out of the reach of a normal working 18 year olds, how much does a working man now have to earn to afford a house and support a family?   

Both partners have to work to make ends meet in many families, having children is put off just like not getting onto the housing market with a 35 year stitch up deal until their early 30’s.

Yes you are correct, we are already there.   But imagine if everything goes up across the board by another 25-50% due to skyrocketing silver and gold prices.  Families that are barely hanging on will not be.   And that's why we don't want precious metal prices to skyrocket.     

Metal prices will increase, it's a question of when and how much.  Here's a random thought...is it better to die financially by a 1,000 cuts of small price increases over a longer period of time, or immediate death with a hyperinflation knife stabbed to the heart?  In both scenario, the person dies financially.   But the 1,000 slow and gradual inflation cuts over time allows the person to potentially live longer.   This maybe a poor example to use, but it's the only thing I can come up with after getting out of bed.   Nevermind my rambling, my morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet lol.  

4 hours ago, SidS said:

I don't strictly play the silver markets as such, I tend to play the numismatic market instead.

Thetrick is to find coins that appeal to the largest number of people. So for example, Victorian crowns are always popular with stackers and collectors, but rather than picking up the 1889s (which are everywhere!), I'd go for 1888, 1890-1892 dates, and if I can get them a little above spot at the same price as the common garden 1889, then I feel it's a good win, and if I can get a young head crown at the same price, better still, especially an 1847.

Diversifying what you hold so that you can appeal to the greatest number of people when reselling. If the silver price plunges for whatever reason, then I've still got the collector market as an audience. If the price of silver soars, putting off collectors, then the silver bugs will buy.

Diversification is key.  If possible, I would also recommend holding some gold as well.

19 minutes ago, SilverStorm said:

Yes you are correct, we are already there.   But imagine if everything goes up across the board by another 25-50% due to skyrocketing silver and gold prices.  Families that are barely hanging on will not be.   And that's why we don't want precious metal prices to skyrocket.     

Metal prices will increase, it's a question of when and how much.  Here's a random thought...is it better to die financially by a 1,000 cuts of small price increases over a longer period of time, or immediate death with a hyperinflation knife stabbed to the heart?  In both scenario, the person dies financially.   But the 1,000 slow and gradual inflation cuts over time allows the person to potentially live longer.   This maybe a poor example to use, but it's the only thing I can come up with after getting out of bed.   Nevermind my rambling, my morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet lol.  

We all can feel that we are very close to a massive social and economic shift. The masses have absorbed government debt to saturation point and beyond.

I feel sorry for the kids getting shoehorned into 60k of  student debt before they even start out in life and that’s before they get nailed with a 35 year mortgage and a pension that is not worth jack or at best can’t retire until they are past 70 years old. 

If this generation woke up (pun intended) and realised just how much debt has been piled onto them there would be full scale rioting.  

Not sure if one is worried about inflation or profiting "BIG" PMs are the place to be.  Historically they don't do much.  A decade ago (May 28, 2011) silver was $38 usd per Troy oz...

Without even calculation the opportunity costs, those  stacking monster boxes back then have lost money ;-(

During the same period millions of dollars were made stacking crypto/real estate/equities/etc.

In inflationary times using the principle of the lever is awesome:  You pay back your leveraged debt with dollars worth less and less each month while the asset securing the debt increases in value...It is a beautiful thing....PMs don't really do that 😞

Leveraged Real Estate investments I made a decade ago (instead of buying PMs) have made literally 100's of thousands of dollars.  Ten years ago today at $800/ roll for ASEs a monster box would have cost at least $20,000 cash, with zero return a decade later.

The $8,000 usd I put down on my investment property made me $200k usd over the same 10 year period....

Sooo, to answer the OP's question "can you profit BIG" the answer is sure...but that isn't the important question 😉

The important question is: "what is the probability of profiting BIG buying Silver" ?  

The answer to that question is:  "Practically zero".  There are MUCH better investment vehicles out there if your goal is to profit big.  

As someone already posted:  Diversification is Key

Can you profit big with silver without apocalypse?

My opinion is - yes you can. 

All you need is another speculative mania, delusion of crowds, conditions where people loose their minds blinded with greed.
And silver needs to be subject of this madness.

Tulips, South Sea bubble, dot.com stocks, real estate bubble, bitcoin - financial bubbles are appearing now and then, usually every time there is new generation of "investors" entering the markets. I would say every 7-10yrs there is an asset that becomes subject of massive speculation, all you need to do is get there early enough.

Will silver be next?

I would say 50% - it might, or it might not.

But very interesting to see all that "silver squeeze" movement - it gets what is needed for bubble to grow from very beginning - wast media attention :)

Most investment vehicles have their day. Get in at the right time and you will make a decent to significant amount. Get in at the wrong time and the opposite applies. 
Most hard assets will go up big in fiat terms b/c fiat is going to hell in a handcart. 
Silver has appreciated a good deal in the last year. 
Silver is an undervalued asset relative to many. There is great potential. 
i had so much silver my boat sank and it was all lost in that tragic boating accident. If that calamity had not happened i would have made a packet. 
In addition i held almost as much in mining shares - gold, silver and uranium. i expect i will make up in those.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Diversity is the key, for the dystopian future scenario. For me and my peace of mind I think it's a good idea to learn how to hunt, fish, trap, forage and butcher game. Practical skills and knowledge are just as comforting as a fat stack and great fun to learn and do. Very honest and humbling and there are more people than you think who can teach you these skills.

Self sufficiency is well hard to sustain though so I'm hoping to keep the bushcraft as a hobby and my stack as a future tax free gift for my kids (post great reset).

There will always be doomsayers telling you the end is nigh. You just dont want to get stuck in that echo chamber and listen to a variety of opinions.  The one thing they will all have in common is it's just their opinion. If you can afford it and helps you sleep at night go for it.

And if you have time and want a new hobby to keep you away from the forums buy and sell section , join an archery club and start an allotment.

• 3 weeks later...