• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

13 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I’m still dithering with the 2oz silver 😐

It’s one of the most beautiful coins I have ever owned. I have had some stunning coins in the past but this one really is absolutely beautiful. I reluctantly sold some previously but I don’t think I’ll ever sell this one. 

I looked at it under a strong light this morning and the detail is simply stunning. It’s beyond doubt perfect and would grade PF70. 

My only quibble in the whole matter is how the coin was delivered. Flimsy cardboard and a really evil capsule!!! Took me so long to open it without damaging either the capsule or the coin......what on earth is wrong with a screw cap?? 

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

@AndrewSL76 - You’re tempting me 😋

Honestly, if you can get one, go for it. Seriously, when you look at it under a strong light and see the detail it’s remarkable. Simply stunning. I don’t know if I would pay the EBay prices, but perhaps one of those with a Buy It Now option may be more realistic when offered some funky fiat? Otherwise be patient and ride out the few months of madness for it to drop to the more ‘easy on the wallet’ level.

I have often bemoaned the Royal Mint and complained about poor service, but on this occasion I can’t even get angry about the delivery method, capsule or fact the box is the usual silver proof box...the coin is all that really matters. 

If you get one and you don’t like it, at least you know it will sell and you could even turn a profit if you buy at a good price.

15 hours ago, AurumArgenti said:

I think it's fair to say that the Una and the lion coins have been a success.

So what's the chances the royal mint will mess with the mintage numbers and increase the price of the next coin in the series?

Something tells me we haven't seen the end of Una and the Lion....perhaps next year they will release a "brilliant uncirculated" version with a mintage of "only 20,000", and for Black Friday perhaps an enhanced reverse proof with William Wyon's signature as privy mark. Or maybe I shouldn't give them any ideas...

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Makes sense. I’ll keep a keen eye on the RM site too 🧐

Well if it becomes available again you should grab one, it was available all day yesterday...for perhaps the last time. You won't get it cheaper on eBay, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, goldmember44 said:

Well if it becomes available again you should grab one, it was available all day yesterday...for perhaps the last time. You won't get it cheaper on eBay, that's for sure.

The Coin connection still have them for 200£ so 16£ more than the RM, (less than the 2% discount) but with the insurance to get a perfect coin.

Some forumer are happy with the quality, as opposed to what the coin connection told me : they already have rejected some silver and gold Unas and they think it would be delayed even in January due to these quality flaws. I am happy having been able to secure the silver from them, but I have an opened order for the gold one at the RM...it makes me a little bit anxious  

Edited by Frenchie

1 minute ago, Frenchie said:

The Coin connection still have them for 200£ so 16£ more than the RM, (less than the 2% discount) but with the insurance to get a perfect coin.

Some forumer are happy with the quality, as opposed to what the coin connection told me : they already have rejected some silver and gold Unas and the think it would be delayed even in January due to these quality flaws. I am happy having been able to secure the silver from them, but I have an opened order for the gold one at the RM...it makes me a little bit anxious  

i know my photos are not the best above, the dust & muck is only from handling the capsule.  my gold is flawless under magnification  

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Makes sense. I’ll keep a keen eye on the RM site too 🧐

If you would like one of the Silver Proof variety for the release price, get your skates on and telephone the Royal Mint- I have just rung them and purchased one.

Curiosity got the better of me, and focusing on the positive reviews here, I rang the Royal Mint earlier to enquire- and the lady told me that someone from sales will call me back- they did, and I ordered- during the conversation she said ‘is it just the one you would like?’- the implication being- there’s more sat there on the shelf.

Good luck. 

Edited by richatthecroft

For someone who is very new to the proof coin scene, I love the look of this coin. Looking to invest in the 2oz but just got lumped with a hefty car bill!

What sort of return are you guys looking to have if you flip the coin at the later date? As this would be my strategy.

15 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Daft question, but how do you open the capsule for the silver coin? Anyone know! It’s not a screw cap etc. Strange. I’ve not seen one like this before.

I am keen to see the coin outside the capsule to see if it’s worth sending for grading. There may be a slight mark, but I can’t tell if it is the cap or not. I think it is, so want to check!!

@Numistacker I’ll probably be in touch separately to discuss, but what do you advise?

Cheers.

It may have one of those new push on capsules so use a micro screwdriver to lever it up and see

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Well golden Una is finally departing my hands for the foreseeable future, away to safe deposit box for the long term today. 

I took a few photos for insurance cover and for file proofs/backup etc.  Thought I would share them before she goes

Beautiful coin - the highlight of my stack and fingers crossed will prove a great long term investment to hold onto

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

It looks great. Mine will arrive on the 13th i must have pushed the button later than you. I will have it graded by NGC of course assuming that it does not get returned due to faults.

My 2oz silver is on order from Coin Connection and they've just popped out an email to say Royal Mint are having striking problems and some are likely to not to arrive until after Christmas, depending on your position in the queue. 

Not too bothered in truth. If I have to wait another month to guarantee a perfect condition Una - then so be it. Was never going to flip it quick and was at least going to hang on until the next coin in the series.

Hearing comments from the majority on here, it sounds like they're taking time to get this right. Fair enough of that's the case! 

Edit: (apart from the capsule and cardboard box!)

Edited by PablosGee