• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

Got my Silver Una and the Lion yesterday. I spent ages looking at it with a loupe, it’s amazingly beautiful. That ‘soft’ proof finish is gorgeous, but I’m not sure if they have used the same finish On the Queens head side??

This is the best coin that I own, and with my recent purchases from the mint I wish I had Not bothered, saved them all up, and gone for the gold. I would be quite happy if it was the only coin I owned. 

A marvellous coin. Well done to the mint for this one and I’m looking forward to the next in the series. Hopefully it’s a while so I can get saving! 

On 25/11/2019 at 13:09, AndrewSL76 said:

I still think the premium for 'proof' is too much. Unless the mintage figures are properly low, then as an investment you're going to struggle (IMHO). When you can get a two oz Lion for 60.00 at the moment, I think I would rather have three lions that one Una and Lion - if that makes sense. Much nicer to hold, much easier to sell, much more likely to continue going up in price. The Una is still at 80% reserved and the price could not be as high as you would want in the secondary market.

And then you had second thoughts and bought one. Shifty bunch us coin collectors. I think the human brain is still struggling to figure us out 😁

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

Yes, well, I had a conversation with someone who said that I was mad to not add one to the investment portfolio whilst I still could. I take their views sensibly and whilst it was a bucket of cash, I figured it was also a better investment than I first though.

Remarkably, the Royal Mint sent mine out yesterday and then returned my £180.00 this morning. Because I am responsible, I have contacted them to review this...I was told a few hours ago that my account is clear and I do not owe them anything. Bizarre, but true. I’m waiting for the money to leave the account again........surely only a matter of time!!!

35 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Yes, well, I had a conversation with someone who said that I was mad to not add one to the investment portfolio whilst I still could. I take their views sensibly and whilst it was a bucket of cash, I figured it was also a better investment than I first though.

Remarkably, the Royal Mint sent mine out yesterday and then returned my £180.00 this morning. Because I am responsible, I have contacted them to review this...I was told a few hours ago that my account is clear and I do not owe them anything. Bizarre, but true. I’m waiting for the money to leave the account again........surely only a matter of time!!!

I've had that happen a few times when ordering on my card and waiting a while before shipment. The transaction falls off my bank account after some days, automatically, but then their accounts department then books the amount permanently later when they receive notification that the item has been shipped. The money they take initially is just a temporary hold on the card to ensure you can pay for it.

16 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

I've had that happen a few times when ordering on my card and waiting a while before shipment. The transaction falls off my bank account after some days, automatically, but then their accounts department then books the amount permanently later when they receive notification that the item has been shipped. The money they take initially is just a temporary hold on the card to ensure you can pay for it.

This is what I thought - and it is what happened to me most recently with the SOTD Albert Sovereign (note that I received the coin and they took payment about a week later!). However, on this occasion the money was returned as a 'refund' rather than just arriving back into the account when the hold was released.

I have raised this with the Mint who have confirmed that the account is clear and that no further charges are pending. They said that according to their accounts dept. the coin has been paid for and no money will be taken.

They are double checking it. 

Beginning to wish I had also ordered the gold version.........

3 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

This is what I thought - and it is what happened to me most recently with the SOTD Albert Sovereign (note that I received the coin and they took payment about a week later!). However, on this occasion the money was returned as a 'refund' rather than just arriving back into the account when the hold was released.

I have raised this with the Mint who have confirmed that the account is clear and that no further charges are pending. They said that according to their accounts dept. the coin has been paid for and no money will be taken.

They are double checking it. 

Beginning to wish I had also ordered the gold version.........

Oh I see...an early Christmas for you then! ;)

Just now, goldmember44 said:

Oh I see...an early Christmas for you then! ;)

You can guarantee that they will take the money. I would rather they did it sooner than later, to be honest. I am going to be cheeky and suggest that they give me a voucher code for my next purchase....even if it's just 2% it would be a bonus.............

Received my 2oz silver proof today. The coins outer box was torn and crushed and the capsule was half open with coin left rattling around. The only justification they have for such a high premium on the proof coins compared to other mints is quality which for this transaction is simply non existent. I'm not impressed.

Edit: the outer shipping box was fine. Whatever damage caused the problems described above happened prior to the coin being packed at the Royal Mint

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

22 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Received my 2oz silver proof today. The coins outer box was torn and crushed and the capsule was half open with coin left rattling around. The only justification they have for such a high premium on the proof coins compared to other mints is quality which for this transaction is simply non existent. I'm not impressed.

Edit: the outer shipping box was fine. Whatever damage caused the problems described above happened prior to the coin being packed at the Royal Mint

Coins working their way out of the capsule seems to be a common issue with RM. I assume you'll return for a new one? 

7 hours ago, verrachi said:

hummm seems like LPM sold out of it again (last price I saw was 15,000 USD)

https://www.lpm.hk/2019-2oz-great-britain-the-great-engravers-william-wyon-una-and-the-lion-gold-proof-coin.html

Wonder what price it will be listed next 😆

Not to be outdone, the London Coin Company eBay listing has risen to $21.999.95.

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.31.42 PM.png

8 minutes ago, AurumArgenti said:

I think it's fair to say that the Una and the lion coins have been a success.

So what's the chances the royal mint will mess with the mintage numbers and increase the price of the next coin in the series?

Who knows. Given that they did this one as a 2oz rather than a £5, I assume all the coins will be scaled to 2oz. They won't have much room to increase beyond £4k.

12 minutes ago, BrumChris said:

Who knows. Given that they did this one as a 2oz rather than a £5, I assume all the coins will be scaled to 2oz. They won't have much room to increase beyond £4k.

£4k each is too rich for me to do the gold series if they are all 2oz each

I may make an exception for Gothic Crown 2oz if they do one, thatll be awesome Im sure

Always nice to have the 1st in the series, in case it take off to !

1 hour ago, AurumArgenti said:

I think it's fair to say that the Una and the lion coins have been a success.

I think it all depends on your definition of “success”.

Sure, the Royal Mint managed to sell some 225 nice looking gold coins in a couple of hours, and the owners of these coins will be very happy especially seeing the current resale prices.

However, I am sure there are quite a number of other people that are just baffled as to why the Royal Mint did not produce a gold 1oz version, or a quintuple sovereign sized version – I think these would have been nearer the size of the original coin (though I stand to be corrected on this).  I think these would have been even more popular (though the % increase in price in the secondary market may not have been as high).

22 minutes ago, Paul said:

£4k each is too rich for me to do the gold series if they are all 2oz each

I think this would be difficult for a lot of people.  

I know that I couldn't sustain being in this series for the long haul and go on to collect such a prodigious series of coins- but individually, if any future interpretations of the originals are anything like the quality of this one, then each release will stand the test of time.  

I did consider it, but faced with the hassle of being forced to liquidate a fair amount of nice coins I'm very attached to,  to fund it in the first place, did put me off.   Also, my wife would have had something to say about a temporarily imposed austerity- forgoing holidays next summer or me doing a shed-load more overtime- I already get a lot of hassle for never being at home.

I do believe though, fortune favours the brave, and I guess this would have been a courageous purchase for a lot of people- the final 'Pay Now' mouse-click,  would have been a challenge (I know it would have been for me).

Well done to all who have taken the plunge, a truly fantastic investment.  

38 minutes ago, Paul said:

I may make an exception for Gothic Crown 2oz if they do one, thatll be awesome Im sure

I'm with you on this one- I live in hope that I might be in a position to buy one if its ever released.  

50 minutes ago, Paul said:

Always nice to have the 1st in the series, in case it take off to !

I wonder if the RM will have made a note of who bought this first release and offer the second to these adopters prior to release- it would be a bugger to miss out on an odd release due to some kind of mis-fortunate happening whilst at the checkout- with such a low mintage and given the coins exclusivity it would be extremely difficult to find an after-market replacement. 

2 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Sure, the Royal Mint managed to sell some 225 nice looking gold coins in a couple of hours, and the owners of these coins will be very happy especially seeing the current resale prices.

However, I am sure there are quite a number of other people that are just baffled as to why the Royal Mint did not produce a gold 1oz version, or a quintuple sovereign sized version – I think these would have been nearer the size of the original coin (though I stand to be corrected on this).  I think these would have been even more popular (though the % increase in price in the secondary market may not have been as high).

Love or hate what the Royal Mint have or haven't done. It's hard to argue that the gold isn't a success in my eye's. Hind sight is a great thing but I wished I would have bought the gold now given the secondary prices alone.

The silver which I have purchased is a little more unclear for now. I would have liked a smaller mintage given the price tag but that could be said for most coins?

13 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

I was baffled too- the RM could have rinsed a lot more cash issuing a smaller weight of coin such as a quintuple- this design would have looked fantastic whatever the size/weight- but I guess it is, what it is- but they could of rinsed far more revenue out of this design.  

Perhaps the exclusivity was a way in which to preserve the designs integrity?

The RM's strategy overall is baffling.  

Daft question, but how do you open the capsule for the silver coin? Anyone know! It’s not a screw cap etc. Strange. I’ve not seen one like this before.

I am keen to see the coin outside the capsule to see if it’s worth sending for grading. There may be a slight mark, but I can’t tell if it is the cap or not. I think it is, so want to check!!

@Numistacker I’ll probably be in touch separately to discuss, but what do you advise?

Cheers.

3 hours ago, BrumChris said:

Coins working their way out of the capsule seems to be a common issue with RM. I assume you'll return for a new one? 

Yes for sure. I am bitterly disapointed about this. Having had a further look now that the coin has come to room temperature it seems there are marks on the coin and the capsule doesn't even fit the coin properly. There is a massive gap along the bottom almost like it was made for a thinner coin. Its shocking quality for the price point.

For context I order fairly regularly from the Royal Canadian Mint since I have a Canadian address I can use for such and the current retail price for their 2oz silver proofs is CAD 199.95 or about £115.00.

Added 0 minutes later...
16 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Daft question, but how do you open the capsule for the silver coin? Anyone know! It’s not a screw cap etc. Strange. I’ve not seen one like this before.

I am keen to see the coin outside the capsule to see if it’s worth sending for grading. There may be a slight mark, but I can’t tell if it is the cap or not. I think it is, so want to check!!

@Numistacker I’ll probably be in touch separately to discuss, but what do you advise?

Cheers.

My one is in a really badly fitting twist and lock type capsule.

15 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

My one is in a really badly fitting twist and lock type capsule.

Yep. Same here but mine won’t open at all and I don’t want to force it...probably good to get it in a slab sooner rather than later...