• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is now a good time to sell on TSF?

I've been watching the discussion on the forum around the recent hikes on gold price with some amusement.

I didn't get the impression from those discussions that forumites would be queuing up to buy gold right now, what with the ongoing ATH's putting people off.

I've been collecting for a few years as a means of saving towards a mortgage deposit. I've ammased a few 1oz QB's and a Brit, and a few more full sov's over the years... and I'm getting thoroughly sick of paying someone elses mortgage with my rent.

The question is, If I were to start listing these coins (at reasonable prices - spot for bullion and a small premium for QB's), would I find many buyers, or would they sit unsold as people wait for a pull back on gold price?

What do you think?

Haven’t bought or sold one forum for a long time but historically members are tight so like a good deal.    Even with all the talk about cost averaging and keep on stacking I’m not sure how many will but their money where their mouth is at the moment.    If you have been stacking for a few years you will have made a nice chunk on them so if sold the qb at spot you will still be up.       Haven’t kept an eye on the beasts but some of them were going for £100’s over spot in the past but think you’d struggle to get that not but like I said I haven’t been in the market for a while

2 hours ago, KitchenCollector said:

The question is, If I were to start listing these coins (at reasonable prices - spot for bullion and a small premium for QB's), would I find many buyers, or would they sit unsold as people wait for a pull back on gold price?

What do you think?

You could always list it here and see.

If no joy then head to the dealer next week....

Just watch for the inbox messages

"hi pal I can offer 15% below spot to do you a favour pal"

🤣

Posted (edited)

Obviously, everything will sell if priced cheaply.

A good shout regards Atkinsons for the sovs as I'd like for achieve as close to spot as possible but could consider 98% to save on hassle.

The difference between Atkinsons selling price and buying price for QB's though is way too much. They will buy my 2019 Yale for £1840 and but sell it for £2291... that's a very expensive convenience.

Same lack of value for graded coins, I've got a slabbed MS70 proof 2012 full sov and they'll take it off my hands for £650? Mmmm maybe not.

Edited by KitchenCollector
spelling

Just now, KitchenCollector said:

A good shout regards Atkinsons for the sovs as I'd like for acheive as close to spot as possible but could consider 98% to save on hassle

Just be wary that in their terms they might offer a lower price if the coins are not in great condition. You can of course reject their offer but I assume would have to pay the return postage to get your items back? 

Someone I know who had best value sovs sold back to them and a couple were marked down from the price quoted. I think it was about -6% of spot on those  

Just now, modofantasma said:

Just be wary that in their terms they might offer a lower price if the coins are not in great condition. You can of course reject their offer but I assume would have to pay the return postage to get your items back? 

Someone I know who had best value sovs sold back to them and a couple were marked down from the price quoted. I think it was about -6% of spot on those  

I've had to return a particularly rough best value sov Atkinsons tried to sell to me in the past so... that's fair enough. 😆

5 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

historically members are tight so like a good deal.   

Some members when they talk in their sleep, it not about someone name, more likely about spot price. 

It is no brainer if you have quite a few coin to sell, going the dealer route would be quicker and less troublesome.  If you have time on your hands, then list and try your luck here.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

5 hours ago, KitchenCollector said:

If I were to start listing these coins (at reasonable prices - spot for bullion and a small premium for QB's), would I find many buyers, or would they sit unsold as people wait for a pull back on gold price?

Costs nothing to try... put up a listing, with good quality pics and your prices... see if you get any interest.

As a recently joined, non-premium member with no trading feedback, there may be an expectation for you to post first before payment - but feel free to set your own sales terms.

• Founder & Administrator

You may wish to take advantage of this current offer: 

Ends May 19th 2024

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

In the 6 or 7 years I've been around here and really been paying attention to the gold/silver prices I've found that stuff priced well will always sell. A lot of coins that would traditionally have a higher premium (not talking mega collectable stuff here just premiums that are higher than normal - stuff like normal proofs, the QBs mentioned, slightly special sovs, etc) tend to look more attractable as the gold price rises because it often takes a bit for the premium to catch up to the live gold price. I've bought a lot of coins like this during these gold runs over the last 4 or 5 years. Arguable whether it matters long term but when the premium shrinks it feels like you got a good deal especially when those premiums eventually do catch up to the live price once things settle.

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

I'm still buying. from a personal point of view. If it's something I'm after , I'd rather buy from here than take chances else where. I have my regular dealers I check in with but I find here just fine. You'll have less hassle selling here than ebay, facebook and the like and most likely get a bit better price here than dealers.

Until you try, you'll never know.  

I know everyone's got their own strategy but I find buying scrap Silver has the lowest spreads and is easy to offload for just under spot.

In my opinion Silver coins and bars are quite illiquid if you need to sell a lot of it.

You either get rinsed by a bulion dealer,low-balled on here or take your chances on fleabay.

20 minutes ago, KitchenCollector said:

I sold almost all my bog standard sovs and 1oz brits to Atkinsons this weekend, (at a shade under 98% spot), which will raise the majority chunk of the mortgage deposit. 😔

Their buying and selling spread for QB's was just too big to swallow, so they will be staying with me for a while until things 'normalise' a little, then I'll list them on TSF (for much better value than you'd get from a dealer). 😉

I also want to check if this large deposit of money into my account triggers any sort of investigation. I don't think it will, but I've always kept a record of receipts, just in case. 😉

Great news, well done. 👏 

24 minutes ago, KitchenCollector said:

I sold almost all my bog standard sovs and 1oz brits to Atkinsons this weekend, (at a shade under 98% spot), which will raise the majority chunk of the mortgage deposit. 😔

Their buying and selling spread for QB's was just too big to swallow, so they will be staying with me for a while until things 'normalise' a little, then I'll list them on TSF (for much better value than you'd get from a dealer). 😉

I also want to check if this large deposit of money into my account triggers any sort of investigation. I don't think it will, but I've always kept a record of receipts, just in case. 😉

Would also be interesting to hear if it triggers an investigation.

18 minutes ago, KitchenCollector said:

Congrats on the house purchasing. It can be sad when the stack or some of it gets sold off but reasons like this are why we stack. I remember when I was about 14, just about to start the last 2 years in secondary school. My grandfather sat me down and said "Remember lad, Do you best. Do well and get good grades now and you'll be able to get a good well paid job that'll enable you to Buy your own home. A mortgage might feel a big burden. But you can pay it off. The rent man never goes away and he always askes for more as the years go by." Decided to end up down the self employed route but the bit about the rent mas never going away struck a chord with me. Bought the first house in my early 20's and before I reached my mid 20's became the rent man. I'm still here, Just. 

On 13/04/2024 at 09:57, KitchenCollector said:

I've got a slabbed MS70 proof 2012 full sov

If its MS70 then it's not a proof and £650 is a remarkable price, I assume you mean PF70 though 🤔 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip