• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold 2024: How low can it go?

Kitalon

Something that I've been wondering is how low the price of gold might drop to during 2024. If so when.
Do you think it's possible that it could drop as low as £1500 per ounce, or aren't we likely to see prices like that again?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts, projections and prophecies for the new year. 🤔

1 hour ago, Kitalon said:

Something that I've been wondering is how low the price of gold might drop to during 2024. If so when.
Do you think it's possible that it could drop as low as £1500 per ounce, or aren't we likely to see prices like that again?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts, projections and prophecies for the new year. 🤔

I believe the most accurate answer to your posed conundrum is that the price of gold in 2024 will drop to as low as it will. Whatever that may be.

5 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

How's the gold price usually act when there is a USA general election?

As of the moment, the Fed has been signalling to markets that they are not likely to raise interest rates further.  Markets are expecting a rate cut mid year next year, but the Fed has indicated that any cut might come later.  It's possible that the Fed will face increasing political pressure to juice (from Biden/Democrats) or throttle (from his opponent/Republicans) markets as we get closer to November 2024.

Will the Fed be an independent actor, or intervene with monetary policy to influence election outcomes?  I don't know, but it's something to consider. 

2 hours ago, SidS said:

£1200

No one on TSF has a crystal ball, but I would like to see it spiral down a lot further than £1200. We both remember when gold was a lot lower, I mean really low - well below £500, but that’s unlikely to happen. But a much lower price would allow more TSF members to get on board…..

31 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

No one on TSF has a crystal ball, but I would like to see it spiral down a lot further than £1200. We both remember when gold was a lot lower, I mean really low - well below £500, but that’s unlikely to happen. But a much lower price would allow more TSF members to get on board…..

Oh yes I remember it a lot lower sub £300 and I used to have to check on Teletext for the up to date price, either that or buy the FT.

1 hour ago, SidS said:

Oh yes I remember it a lot lower sub £300 and I used to have to check on Teletext for the up to date price, either that or buy the FT.

In your day... they sent text messages on stone tablets 😆 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

5 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

I suspect many would lose the desire to buy once prices had been falling significantly for months or if all at once also! It's human nature! 

2 minutes ago, RDHC said:

Good advice - except that some of us may not be around that long!

If that’s the case then sell it all.    I’ve debated this one out with a few gold stacking friends,  at what point do you sell it?   No point waiting to sell it into your late 70’s if your dream was to climb the Himalayas for example as no amount of wealth will ever buy us back our youth. 

The problem with gold most normal working people can’t hold enough for it to be life changing, so they invent/hope for a scenario where a very small amount will be worth 100’s x more. 

Honestly not dancing on anyone’s hopes or dreams here,  if gold gained 50% or likewise lost 50% from the time you bought it would this swing either way be life changing?   

On 12/12/2023 at 08:10, GoldDiggerDave said:

If that’s the case then sell it all.    I’ve debated this one out with a few gold stacking friends,  at what point do you sell it?   No point waiting to sell it into your late 70’s if your dream was to climb the Himalayas for example as no amount of wealth will ever buy us back our youth. 

The problem with gold most normal working people can’t hold enough for it to be life changing, so they invent/hope for a scenario where a very small amount will be worth 100’s x more. 

Honestly not dancing on anyone’s hopes or dreams here,  if gold gained 50% or likewise lost 50% from the time you bought it would this swing either way be life changing?   

Again, good logical thinking. However, there is an alternative: leave it to one's children.

Edited by RDHC

There'll be more than a few here who remember around £700 in mid-2015 during the life of this forum. Is it really 8 years? It only seems like yesterday, but still, it's a decent enough time and will be before the majority here started stacking.

No idea where I'm going with this but it's nice to reminisce and £175 sovereigns has a lot to recommend it. 😁

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

There'll be more than a few here who remember around £700 in mid-2015 during the life of this forum. Is it really 8 years? It only seems like yesterday, but still, it's a decent enough time and will be before the majority here started stacking.

No idea where I'm going with this but it's nice to reminisce and £175 sovereigns has a lot to recommend it. 😁

Good to see you back Steve

On 12/12/2023 at 08:10, GoldDiggerDave said:

Agreed, but the odd holiday or treat in retirement on the back of saving from something that’s nice to hold in your hand in the meantime would be satisfying.  

I don't expect a significant movement either upwards or downwards unless we have some proper shenanigans. Covid II, The Return of the BS, or Winnie the Pooh becoming US President or Vlad invading Georgia or the Chinese flooding the market or some such.

I've been perched on the fence, as usual, since I got my 2023 bullion Sov. Likely I'll hop off the fence for a few minutes to add a 2024 bullion Sov to the stash.