• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Sovereign - 2022 Gold Proofs

Charliemouse

Suggested in Today I Received, this thread is for discussing people's experience receiving their sets and/or individual coins.  e.g.

• What was the condition of the coins, packaging, postage, communication, etc.
  • Do you intend to return the set and why?

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

I'll kick off.

Received the 4 coin set yesterday.  Generally very happy.  My only issue is the quarter sovereign has what looks like a handling mark.

I will take a photo and share later.  In the mean time, here's the double in all its glory.

image.thumb.jpeg.e66fd2eac72b038656da461ab01dcaa3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.83ac4f85f9faa9a4851778574d1b7e63.jpeg

I am considering returning, but don't know if they will accept a single coin from a set - possibly not.  If that's the case, there is no way I'm going to return an "almost" perfect set.

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

Just now, Charliemouse said:

I'll kick off.

Received the 4 coin set yesterday.  Generally very happy.  My only issue is the quarter sovereign has what looks like a handling mark.

I will take a photo and share later.  In the mean time, here's the double in all its glory.

I am considering returning, but don't know if they will accept a single coin from a set - possibly not.  If that's the case, there is no way I'm going to return an "almost" perfect set.

Full set has to be returned unfortunately 😕 

I haven't actually checked mine yet,but will tonight. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

The full sov from my 5-set has a load of pinhole frosting issues on both sides, when viewed under a loupe - I've had similar proof coins from the mint before, which achieved PF70, but this one looks worse...

I'm not returning the full set, as the other coins are perfect, the £5 is simply stunning!

The quarter's reverse has some frosting issues that I only spotted from the photo.  The obverse's problem is a bit more obvious..

image.thumb.jpeg.81652a3b22f0e946e618262e6c36ee62.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6140eb4097e5225e351c28afc10a8ac8.jpeg

Between us, we have a full, half and quarter with issues.

We could build a bad set and send it back.

2 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

I'll kick off.

I know they won't!

😎

Chards

2 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

Between us, we have a full, half and quarter with issues.

We could build a bad set and send it back.

You should get together, decide who's going to take the hit and send theirs back then the others swap theirs with that member and send them a few beer tokens for their troubles.

Best case scenario they get a full set replacement, worst case they get a refund, a few quid from fellow members and probably a favour owed down the line

11 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

You should get together, decide who's going to take the hit and send theirs back then the others swap theirs with that member and send them a few beer tokens for their troubles.

Best case scenario they get a full set replacement, worst case they get a refund, a few quid from fellow members and probably a favour owed down the line

Yep. We just need to complete a set with messed up coins.

2 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

The 1/4 still looks a nice coin and would sell on its own ok rather than the hassle of sending the set back . Either swop with another + cash or purchase a replacement 1/4 in a box then swop them 🙂

@Charliemouse as much as it pains me to say this.. ell froggo is a genius. Just buy another boxed 1/4 and return the dud.

Except the mint has sold out and it would be distasteful to do than on a sub dealer...especially after admitting such on TSF.

can't believe they hand accounts to anyone on here lol 

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

@Charliemouse as much as it pains me to say this.. ell froggo is a genius. Just buy another boxed 1/4 and return the dud.

Except the mint has sold out and it would be distasteful to do than on a sub dealer...especially after admitting such on TSF.

can't believe they hand accounts to anyone on here lol 

Pick a boxed one up on the secondary market then swop them and resell as a boxed coin with minor imperfections , best option.

I'm OK'ish with putting together a faulty set and returning it for a replacement.  That's just working with RMs restrictive policy of not accepting partial exchanges.

I'm not so happy with switching things and sending back to other sources for refund - that's a bit dishonest for me and quite illegal too (fraud).

Another option I guess would be to have the 1/4 conserved - @GoldDiggerDave may have an opinion.  I do not think the surface is damaged.  No scratches, just a smudged fingerprint or dirt.

3 minutes ago, ShineyMagpie said:

Seems I have been quite fortunate, my half sovereign appears to be OK, at least to my untrained standards 🙄 

20230115_193350.jpg

20230115_193524.jpg

Is that a blatant scratch/ding on lions body 🤔 

1 minute ago, blackadder said:

its the hair of the lion

As in real hair? 😆 

Pictures are not great, so tough to tell. Unless you are close enough to feel it?