• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Sovereign - 2022 Gold Proofs

Charliemouse

16 minutes ago, Kvasir said:

Thanks for this...I think I will keep it - they are barely visible (only noticed when taking the picture as they seem to stand out more) and I'm not grading them anyway. Otherwise the coin is perfect as far as i can see with a loupe.

Like you said I'd be worried about sending them back and getting a worse set. 

Still, they are an amazing coin set to enjoy!

Good choice, I would have kept them as well. Your coin looks almost perfect, enjoy!

4 minutes ago, Goldfever20 said:

Good choice, I would have kept them as well. Your coin looks almost perfect, enjoy!

i've just put several proof £5 2022 memorials in for grading today......I will be clenching my ass cheeks until I find out the grades.  I've submitted every KCIII proof with conservation due to the greasy pick up on some of the coins.   Just hope they all do well. 

• 1 month later...

My last set of Memorial Sovs arrived last week - just a 3-coin set to make up the numbers.  😁

There are several small faults in the frosting, especially the reverse of the full sov unfortunately.  No scratches or edge issues.  A little smudge on the 1/4 near the eye and on the hair, but I can't tell if it is cleanable or not.  It is hardly visible with the naked eye.

Serious question: looking at the pics below, would you send them back?

Full

image.thumb.jpeg.6004466b9663f40ca4bc3e653c8cf17f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2a25dcea6cc72967bc7d81ce6ecafb53.jpeg

Half

image.thumb.jpeg.cbafd891cf7ea82e4da2e832204250f9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.27a98f1444f466afa99022a3cdc85d14.jpeg

Quarter

image.thumb.jpeg.17557b2cd6b1e805a44c0c3a7f441d56.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.759a5b76caed49bf3a3e7fbf60755a20.jpeg

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

6 minutes ago, Goldfever20 said:

I can see a lot of black dots on the full sov, not the best quality I must say. I wouldn't be happy with that I am afraid. 

Yes, exactly.  I am inclined to agree.  But, on the other hand, I've seen (and had) worse.  It's whether a) I can be bothered (I know I should) and b) I want to go through the return round-about game.  The faults are not immediately obvious, certainly with the naked eye, but you can see them if you look for them.

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

9 minutes ago, Goldfever20 said:

I can see a lot of black dots on the full sov, not the best quality I must say. I wouldn't be happy with that I am afraid. 

The unicorns face looks like it has leprosy, either send it back or try washing it in holy water and say ten our fathers.

6 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Yes, exactly.  I am inclined to agree.  But, on the other hand, I've seen (and had) worse.  It's whether a) I can be bothered (I know I should) and b) I want to go through the return round-about game.  The faults are not immediately obvious, certainly with the naked eye, but you can see them if you look for them.

If you have secured acceptable "to you" sovereigns already, then this must go back, why keep something you paid good money for in this condition? 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

9 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

The unicorns face looks like it has leprosy, either send it back or try washing it in holy water and say ten our fathers.

I actually think that's just the photo.  The unicorn's jaw is raised, and I think it's just a shadow.  It does have a pinhole fault at the top of the jaw, behind the eye.  I may do another photo later.

6 minutes ago, James32 said:

If you have secured acceptable "to you" sovereigns already, then this must go back, why keep something you paid good money for in this condition? 

Understood.  Good point.  I will probably return it.  I'm a big believer in returning things in order for the supplier/vendor to get the message as to what is acceptable and what isn't.  Otherwise, no one learns and nothing improves.

I received a replacement for the set that I returned further back in the thread due to frosting issues. Surprise, surprise, the set they swapped it out for had even more frosting issues. With the premiums we pay on these coins - I don't think it's too much to ask for coins that aren't littered with missing frosting.

The plan is to just keep getting this set exchanged until they send me one that isn't full of issues, or run out of substitute stock and just refund me.

After any coronation proofs I buy, I think I'll be back on a strict diet of best-value bullion.

Edited by BOOLIAN

25 minutes ago, BOOLIAN said:

I received a replacement for the set that I returned further back in the thread due to frosting issues. Surprise, surprise, the set they swapped it out for had even more frosting issues. With the premiums we pay on these coins - I don't think it's too much to ask for coins that aren't littered with missing frosting.

The plan is to just keep getting this set exchanged until they send me one that isn't full of issues, or run out of substitute stock and just refund me.

After any coronation proofs I buy, I think I'll be back on a strict diet of best-value bullion.

I had some frosting issues to. I didn't bother for once returning. 

The grading companies do not reduce the grade for frosting issues as it is not a post production flaw.

I know we however pay a lot of money and they should be perfect. Its so much hassle but hope you end up with a good one. 

10 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

I had some frosting issues to. I didn't bother for once returning. 

The grading companies do not reduce the grade for frosting issues as it is not a post production flaw.

I know we however pay a lot of money and they should be perfect. Its so much hassle but hope you end up with a good one. 

I'm aware that the grading companies don't reduce the grade for frosting issues - but honestly, the Royal Mint was taking the piss with the second set they sent to me. I'm unsure how it passed their inspection, even if they inspect it with just the naked eye. It was absolutely littered with black dots to the point where it would become unappealing to any potential future buyer. Thanks for the wishes - third time lucky! 🤞

15 hours ago, apachebleu said:

The 'leprosy' shadow under the chin was definitely just caused by the light.  Here it is with the microscope.

However, the microscope is horribly revealing, and even the most 'perfect' coin looks like a war zone.  But as you see, it's definitely got a lot of frosting holes and edge rubs.

image.thumb.jpeg.dca810dd2919651ed2f93f955bc46cda.jpeg

Edited by Charliemouse

Just received another replacement set. Does anyone know what this might be? Any suggestions for how to verify if it's something on the coin, as I'm hoping it's just a hair from a brush or something of the sort? Air duster?

image.thumb.png.b5a5601afdc1624406edc3ec4bb4ca79.png

Edit: Gave it a quick burst with the duster and it disappeared. I guess it was just a tiny hair on the coin. Coins look good at first glance - no frosting gaps like the other two I've had!

Edited by BOOLIAN

Here's something that I can't quite believe happened that honestly made me chuckle and say out loud "how am I not surprised".

3 coin set turned up today and I'm thinking not to get my hopes up. Sure enough when I open the box. The full sov is out of the capsule. But here's the funny part, the capsule is closed. So someone put this is in full well knowing what they've done. You honestly can't write it. Miraculously, the full sov looks completely fine and I have no idea how, along with the others but will inspect closer when I have time. So glad I had my camera ready for this one.

IMG_20230322_172929.jpg

Edited by MLNCoins
Typos

3 minutes ago, MLNCoins said:

Here's something that I can't quite believe happened that honestly made me chuckle and say out loud "how am I not surprised".

3 coin set turned up today and I'm thinking not to get my hopes up. Sure enough when I open the box. The full is out of the capsule. But here's the funny part, the capsule is closed. So someone put this is in full well knowing what they've done. You honestly can't right it. Miraculously, the full sov looks completely fine and I have no idea how, along with the other but will inspect closer when I have time. So glad I had my camera ready for this one.

IMG_20230322_172929.jpg

Can you imagine getting paid minimum wage to put that set in a box neatly? More than you could earn in a month, to be packed quickly, repeatedly.... 

78av.gif

3 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

Can you imagine getting paid minimum wage to put that set in a box neatly? More than you could earn in a month, to be packed quickly, repeatedly.... 

Do RM box sorters get minimum wage? I imagine them all reclining on velvet loungers in tuxedos listening to Bach, sipping Champaign and occasionally doing a bit of work. I'd expect they get a bit more than a Tesco shelf stacker, I'd hope so at least otherwise the illusion of buying gold straight from the mint is shattered. This is just as bad as John Lewis introducing a budget range in their stores lol.

I received my 3 coin sov set today.  Everything looks good except for a small rub on the full sov that’s only visible with a loupe.  Given that I’m in the US do you guys think it’s worth the effort to return?  I have two other full sovs that are great so maybe I switch one in?  The spot isn’t visible to the naked eye.  PS I’m not getting them graded.  Thanks for any input 

0E4C5EDB-A9D6-4676-94D7-05592BEBFE94.jpeg

3 hours ago, CazLikesCoins said:

Do RM box sorters get minimum wage? I imagine them all reclining on velvet loungers in tuxedos listening to Bach, sipping Champaign and occasionally doing a bit of work. I'd expect they get a bit more than a Tesco shelf stacker, I'd hope so at least otherwise the illusion of buying gold straight from the mint is shattered. This is just as bad as John Lewis introducing a budget range in their stores lol.

It's not what you dream of, far from it..

Screenshot2023-03-22at22_17_39.png.431be3dfc8ea3338de8eb53da86c7b31.png

https://uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=The+Royal+Mint&aceid=&gclid=CjwKCAjwzuqgBhAcEiwAdj5dRu--q18znTWadi1g3faYXdMjd-2R6yoFRdFSpLxgnloV_s5wA0vyAxoCIKkQAvD_BwE&from=mobRdr&utm_source=%2Fm%2F&utm_medium=redir&utm_campaign=dt&vjk=d107f8b19957d532

78av.gif

22 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

Check out the employer reviews on Glassdoor as well - seems like quite a lot of fun, and you get to use some VERY cutting-edge software.

Edited by BOOLIAN

8 hours ago, SilverDrum said:

7 hours ago, BOOLIAN said:

Check out the employer reviews on Glassdoor as well - seems like quite a lot of fun, and you get to use some VERY cutting-edge software.

With the prices they change for boxed coins I feel disappointed after reading that. I was at least expecting some Harry Potter money-gnomes looking after those proofs and collectables. 😆