• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stopped using ebay

pricha

I no longer even bother to check ebay now looking for the odd sovereign.  Not only because of the usual risk of fakes and dodgy sellers , but the prices are just crazy. It wasn't like this years ago when bargains could be picked up cheaply regardless of gold price. I much prefer dealers and the forum nowadays.  But for pre 1920 silver ebay is my only call.  The occasional good deal can still be had on these against the few dealers that sell these. Anyone else gave up ebay ?

Edited by pricha

3 minutes ago, pricha said:

But for pre 1920 silver ebay is my only call

I suppose it depends on where you are located? There is always coin fairs but generally they will know the value same as online dealers. Sometimes you can get lucky if you have a local coin dealer or even an independent jewellers and build up a bit of relationship with them to get reasonable prices.

I don’t use to buy PM’s but do look at prices, and find the “Binlordery” amusing.

Prices for Sov Shields are honestly mad, and I am sure for other coins.  The 20pct sellers fee is partly to blame I suspect but it’s more than just that.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

10 hours ago, pricha said:

I no longer even bother to check ebay now looking for the odd sovereign.  Not only because of the usual risk of fakes and dodgy sellers , but the prices are just crazy. It wasn't like this years ago when bargains could be picked up cheaply regardless of gold price. I much prefer dealers and the forum nowadays.  But for pre 1920 silver ebay is my only call.  The occasional good deal can still be had on these against the few dealers that sell these. Anyone else gave up ebay ?

I use eBay to check the adverts and look for anyone advertising Sovereigns who is clearly a jewellers/dealer and has their phone number in the advert, give them a bell and see what their 'real' price is

Bought a few sovereigns that way, and also made some good contacts.

12 hours ago, pricha said:

Anyone else gave up ebay ?

These ebay threads seem to be becoming more common don't they...🤔  But to answer the question - yes, pretty much,  although as I've said before I still use it occasionally to buy cheap tat. 

Truth be told ebay has always been a bit risky for scams right from it's inception.  Back in the slightly better days of the early 2000s I was an avid buyer and seller but had no less than two ebay accounts and two linked Paypal accounts hacked to the extent that I was completely locked out of all of them. As far as I know both of my old hacked ebay accounts still exist but I haven't checked for a number of years now. As for Paypal, well that's another story for another thread.

Back to the present day : ebay really should consider changing it's name to "Scammer Central" because that's really what it is now and it's been working towards that goal for a long long time.

Edited by flyingveepixie

40 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

These ebay threads seem to be becoming more common don't they...🤔  But to answer the question - yes, pretty much,  although as I've said before I still use it occasionally to buy cheap tat. 

Truth be told ebay has always been a bit risky for scams right from it's inception.  Back in the slightly better days of the early 2000s I was an avid buyer and seller but had no less than two ebay accounts and two linked Paypal accounts hacked to the extent that I was completely locked out of all of them. As far as I know both of my old hacked ebay accounts still exist but I haven't checked for a number of years now. As for Paypal, well that's another story for another thread.

Back to the present day : ebay really should consider changing it's name to "Scammer Central" because that's really what it is now and it's been working towards that goal for a long long time.

Ebay used to be the place . Not anymore. Just wondering if it was just me . 

On 12/01/2023 at 21:55, pricha said:

As some on TSF will know, I have a very low opinion of ebay, for a multiplicity of reasons.

We did sell on ebay what seems like a long time ago now, possibly about 15 years ago, and this was quite successful in terms of sales, although ebay fees ate up a large proportion of our gross profits. They have jacked up most of their fees since then. We did have a further trial of selling some things on ebay, but at higher prices than we sell direct. This was also successful in terms of sales, although I still cannot understand why people think ebay is the only or best place to buy things.

In the distant past, we have also bought a few coins in ebay auctions. Every single time, it took weeks rather than days for us to receive the items, and then mostly after we had to send reminders.

Almost every experience of dealing with ebay as a company has been unsatisfactory and unpleasant.

I am not surprised to see your post.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

I hate Amazon more than eBay.

I still use eBay but it's becoming much less, the fakes are escalating in number year on year but worse still the quality of them is constantly improving.

I buy from a few more trusted dealers on eBay, but I've had to pass over coins that looked like they might be genuine due to the seller's other items being more questionable.

I stopped selling on eBay just prior to the payment system changing.

On 13/01/2023 at 05:09, dicker said:

I don’t use to buy PM’s but do look at prices, and find the “Binlordery” amusing.

Prices for Sov Shields are honestly mad, and I am sure for other coins.  The 20pct sellers fee is partly to blame I suspect but it’s more than just that.  

The final value fee is calculated as 12.8% of the total amount of the sale (which includes the item price, postage, taxes and any other applicable fees), plus a fixed charge of 30p per order. If the total amount of the sale is over £2,500 for a single item, you'll pay 3% for the portion of the sale price above £2,500.

Bought from eBay in the past by looking sellers feedback and comments but now it’s pretty rare. As for selling, I think I’d rather get a lower offer from a dealer, than the potential hassle some scumbags are prepared to try and put you through. Since I’ve found TSF, not really bothered selling much on eBay for almost 2 years.

eBay is scummy, listing an item without the fees offer where they will rail you for 12.5% or whatever it is? Oh look it comes up on the search.

Have an 80% off fees offer, so can price your coin much better? Lol no one will come across it, I literally can't find my own listing via searching, which I can do without an active offer.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

The final value fee is calculated as 12.8% of the total amount of the sale (which includes the item price, postage, taxes and any other applicable fees), plus a fixed charge of 30p per order. If the total amount of the sale is over £2,500 for a single item, you'll pay 3% for the portion of the sale price above £2,500.

Thank you for correcting me. 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

16 hours ago, Solachesis said:

Have an 80% off fees offer, so can price your coin much better? Lol no one will come across it, I literally can't find my own listing via searching, which I can do without an active offer.

Interesting, I've never seen that. Mine always come up relatively near the top and I don't sell without a £1 or 80% off offer.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

23 hours ago, Solachesis said:

eBay is scummy, listing an item without the fees offer where they will rail you for 12.5% or whatever it is? Oh look it comes up on the search.

I have the same problem, past year less and less interest and when I search my listings they are buried, hardly any views as no bugger can find em 🤣

2 minutes ago, Mrpound said:

I have the same problem, past year less and less interest and when I search my listings they are buried, hardly any views as no bugger can find em 🤣

It's to get you to opt into them promoting for an extra fee.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I've been offered the maximum eBay selling fee of £1 this weekend but I have no interest in selling PMs because I will just spend the cash, or turn up the thermostat a degree or two.

I also received a £5 discount if I bought something for over £10 so getting a few new t-shirts at half price !