• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How much would you pay for this

Mista

Hi,

From a silver stacking point of view, I understand that as close to spot price when buying is important, and so is liquidity - So a half crown will possibly be easier to flog than say a spoon.

So, this seems to be part of a big set of about 24 coins,  was possibly smashed and sold individually, so from a collector's point of view, very little value i would imagine.

How much premium would you pay over spot - and would you this is about as liquid as any silver proof?

Cheers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183587407831

23 minutes ago, Mista said:

Hi,

From a silver stacking point of view, I understand that as close to spot price when buying is important, and so is liquidity - So a half crown will possibly be easier to flog than say a spoon.

So, this seems to be part of a big set of about 24 coins,  was possibly smashed and sold individually, so from a collector's point of view, very little value i would imagine.

How much premium would you pay over spot - and would you this is about as liquid as any silver proof?

Cheers.

Pay nothing! It’s awful (to put it politely)🫢 there are lots of sets, both silver and gold get broken up. Obvious one being the 1997 Britannia set, everyone trying to make money on the one ounce. Not so good if you like a box and a coa? I think that by splitting you can decrease any sales opportunities 🫢🤔

26 minutes ago, Mista said:

Hi,

Cheers.

Buy it if you personally like it. Not a bad price at all.

As for liquidity, buy a 1oz Britannia for similar money ( more silver and more liquid)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

30 minutes ago, Mista said:

Hi,

Cheers.

From memory, that was the "half price" first coin in the set, a kind of loss leader or gambit to get people hooked!

😎

Chards

This is tat - it is something from a house of horrors. According to https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces84293.html the spot value is £14.79.
Postage is free in the offer - perhaps it will be delivered in a sick bag.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

21 minutes ago, sixgun said:

This is tat - it is something from a house of horrors. According to https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces84293.html the spot value is £14.79.
Postage is free in the offer - perhaps it will be delivered in a sick bag.

Agreed.  Looks like tat when you zoom in on it. The  detail is very poor and so rough it looks kind of like it's been struck with a hammer and chisel.

Edited by flyingveepixie

Cool, thanks. Very interesting.

I am not fuss about what's on the coin to be honest, I just see a silver proof, the theme may appeal to someone one day, but not betting on it.
So the price to pay is £14.79. No more? At £17.00 all inclusive (15% over spot), we'd still turn it down?

This is where i struggle. We are saying that 2 x pre 1920 well warn half crowns are worth just as much as that coin, or a 28g sterling silver spoon?

So, the premium paid on a 1 oz Britannia just buys liquidity? Because apart from that i don't quite understand why i'd go for such a high premium.
Out of interest, how much premium can i expect to pay buying a silver Britannia on TSF?

Genuinely interested as new to the business, leaning, and trying to make as few mistakes as possible .

Many thanks

1 hour ago, Mista said:

I am not fuss about what's on the coin to be honest, I just see a silver proof, the theme may appeal to someone one day, but not betting on it.
So the price to pay is £14.79. No more? At £17.00 all inclusive (15% over spot), we'd still turn it down?

This is where i struggle. We are saying that 2 x pre 1920 well warn half crowns are worth just as much as that coin, or a 28g sterling silver spoon?

So, the premium paid on a 1 oz Britannia just buys liquidity? Because apart from that i don't quite understand why i'd go for such a high premium.
Out of interest, how much premium can i expect to pay buying a silver Britannia on TSF?

Genuinely interested as new to the business, leaning, and trying to make as few mistakes as possible .

Many thanks

It's not really about the premium with silver but rather about the VAT.  Most 1oz bog standard bullion silver coins sell on the forum for a bit less than you would find them on ebay.  You're not the seller of that particular coin by any chance are you..?

Edited by flyingveepixie

1 hour ago, Mista said:

So, the premium paid on a 1 oz Britannia just buys liquidity?

Yes, spot is only relevant if you are taking it down the scrappy and even then you would probably get less than spot. Try walking into b&q's and paying spot for copper pipe. It can be very tiring for someone who wants exposure to the silver market and hunt down all the scrap. Some just like to get 1 Troy ounce, nice and shiny, from the royal mint. Buy it with a premium now and sell it with a premium later. 

1 hour ago, Mista said:

Many thanks

There is a big difference between refined silver and sterling. The premium for pre 1920 comes from collectors and easily recognised form of silver. I would rather have a hallmarked silver spoon than that particular coin. Spot + 5% max for that, at least a spoon is useful.

Don't get me wrong sterling is an often overlooked stacking option if you get it at the right price and it's easily recognisable.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

From memory, that was the "half price" first coin in the set, a kind of loss leader or gambit to get people hooked!

😎

Look what I found 😉

https://24carat.co.uk/1997goldenweddingcrowncollection.html

Some quite funny remarks in there!

Edited by CollectForFun

6 hours ago, Mista said:

........ So a half crown will possibly be easier to flog than say a spoon......

Hi, I am sorry, but my bet will be anytime on a silver spoon. I will never hesitated to buy fully hallmarked silver spoons, any purity from .800 to .925.

About flogging them, at the correct price will fly in minutes.

Believe me, I have sold hundreds so far.😊

Definitely not for me. I'd consider it if the deal was amazing but it would have to be under spot so I could resell it as quick as possible at spot.

I'd take a spoon with hallmarks over this any day. Even a rubbish spoon.

As for the greater question of premiums...  ultimately its down to you as a collector/stacker to determine if the premium being asked is something you're happy to pay. One thing thats worth learning is what is worthwhile and what is not. The coin shown here is exactly what @sixgun said - tat. It will almost certainly never be worth more than melt value and frankly the more that are melted the better off we all are. Despite being a proof it has neither the desireability nor quality of most countries 1oz bullion coins.

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

Why does the fella standing third from left have such enormously long arms?! This has triggered me in so many ways, I may have to go and touch some spoons to calm down...

Seriously though OP, unless you have a desire to collect something like this (in which case pay whatever you like, if you feel it makes sense) then it should only be picked up as stacking weight for spot or preferably less. The reason I say less is because anything less than pure silver will have a reduction in worth if selling to a refiner due to the extra work involved when processing it.

If you get British made commemoratives like Pinches medals or Royal Mint issues they will often have hallmarks which are helpful when selling on.

54 minutes ago, CANV said:

5p

Bit generous I think they'd have to pay me....

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

On 20/11/2022 at 17:00, flyingveepixie said:

... You're not the seller of that particular coin by any chance are you..?

No I'm not. I have bought 4 of those of those for about 10% over spot over the last couple of years, and i was wondering if it was a good move, f 10 % over spot was an ok premium for silver proof, if i should complete the collection.
The way i look at it is that it is silver, and if doesn't appeal to me, it will almost certainly appeal to someone some day. Will i get my 10% back?

1 hour ago, Mista said:

Will i get my 10% back

I doubt it from the way silver has performed over the years.   Maybe if it was a half decent coin to start with you might get your money back, but it's not good, it's c**p. 

Maybe @GoldDiggerDave could chip in at this point re the performance of silver...

Edited by flyingveepixie