• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie introducing myself (and asking if now's a good time to buy gold!)

katyc

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

Hello @katyc and welcome.  I have enjoyed reading your thread so far, and you certainly seem to have your analytical head screwed on very well, and are able to explain complex topics in relatively simple terms to non-experts.  Bravo.

Now in terms of some of what you have asked: in my opinion I would say that gold is currently fairly valued, silver is undervalued, and platinum is undervalued.  But I would say that gold holds more security as a store of value, will be easier to sell, and will probably experience less volatility.

So in your position I would perhaps put the bulk of your intended investment into physical UK gold bullion coins and I would agree completely that these should be 2022 sovereigns and double sovereigns.  The bullion double sovereign is a nice size and nicer as a physical object than a sovereign.
I would also buy at least one 1oz bulliion UK gold coin just so you had a big shiny lump of 999 fine gold.  Choose whichever one you like the most.  Tudor Beasts Lion of England will have the most upside potential in my opinion, but buy which one(s) you like.

For silver and platinum I would suggest you do some research into Exchange Traded Commodity Funds (ETFs, or ETCs).  Some on the forum use them happily (I am one of these people) and some on the forum would take a different view.  Read up on them and come to your own view.  I use the ishares funds run by a company called Blackrock and have gold, silver and platinum funds in both my ISA and SIPP.

I have some physical silver and some physical platinum but these are for collection/for pleasure as the primary reason that i hold them.  If the prices go to the moon, I will sell the units in the ETFs.

I have some physical gold as well.  Most of it is held as a collection and the remainder is held as a stack.  When/if I next have spare money to invest into physical precious metals, it will go into 2022 bullion sovereigns/doubles as described above.
If I was investing more in my ETFs at the minute, I would  add to the silver fund first at today's prices.

Hope this helps and good luck with all your future decisions.

As a side note - if you are single and could tolerate a male southerner, I think we would make a good team 🙂

Oh my god, that proper made me laugh (and the following comments) 🤣

I was just toying between treating myself to 2 sovs or one double and you've persuaded me to order the double thanks to your info.

Thank you for the advice. I'm afraid to say I'm spoken for - and very loyal - but if anything changes I'll let you know 😆

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

Hello @katyc and welcome.  I have enjoyed reading your thread so far, and you certainly seem to have your analytical head screwed on very well, and are able to explain complex topics in relatively simple terms to non-experts.  Bravo.

Now in terms of some of what you have asked: in my opinion I would say that gold is currently fairly valued, silver is undervalued, and platinum is undervalued.  But I would say that gold holds more security as a store of value, will be easier to sell, and will probably experience less volatility.

So in your position I would perhaps put the bulk of your intended investment into physical UK gold bullion coins and I would agree completely that these should be 2022 sovereigns and double sovereigns.  The bullion double sovereign is a nice size and nicer as a physical object than a sovereign.
I would also buy at least one 1oz bulliion UK gold coin just so you had a big shiny lump of 999 fine gold.  Choose whichever one you like the most.  Tudor Beasts Lion of England will have the most upside potential in my opinion, but buy which one(s) you like.

For silver and platinum I would suggest you do some research into Exchange Traded Commodity Funds (ETFs, or ETCs).  Some on the forum use them happily (I am one of these people) and some on the forum would take a different view.  Read up on them and come to your own view.  I use the ishares funds run by a company called Blackrock and have gold, silver and platinum funds in both my ISA and SIPP.

I have some physical silver and some physical platinum but these are for collection/for pleasure as the primary reason that i hold them.  If the prices go to the moon, I will sell the units in the ETFs.

I have some physical gold as well.  Most of it is held as a collection and the remainder is held as a stack.  When/if I next have spare money to invest into physical precious metals, it will go into 2022 bullion sovereigns/doubles as described above.
If I was investing more in my ETFs at the minute, I would  add to the silver fund first at today's prices.

Hope this helps and good luck with all your future decisions.

As a side note - if you are single and could tolerate a male southerner, I think we would make a good team 🙂

The more I think about it the advice about double Sovs is absolutely spot on imo - I would buy as many as you can while you can! Also great advice about picking up the Queen's Beasts if the premium is lowish (so probably the most recent, as the series progresses?).

I own a few Completers and some will definitely grade as 70s (if that provides a price uplift when I look to sell, if I need cash quickly I would sell off the bullion - all are pretty good and were from Atkinsons).

Well, I suppose technically they are in my sister's possession, she just doesn't know why I offer to help her with her garden so much! 🤣

2 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I am also single, very eligible, and 100% heterosexual. However my last girlfriend was an Amber Heard type (albeit it a bit richer! 🤣) so I am somewhat open to the idea of a strictly platonic marriage of mutual convenience to a rich gentleman fellow stacker :) We would probably need to employ a food tester though :ph34r:

In short, PM me some pics big boy, the lube is at the ready!!! :D

Edited by kimchi

2 hours ago, katyc said:

Thank you for the advice. I'm afraid to say I'm spoken for - and very loyal - but if anything changes I'll let you know 😆

Welcome aboard!

If "things change" and you decide not to be loyal anymore let me know, obviously we are all Gentlemen here so first dibs remain with stuntman!

PS have larger than average stack... quite weighty 😀

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

3 hours ago, ArgentSmith said:

Welcome aboard!

If "things change" and you decide not to be loyal anymore let me know, obviously we are all Gentlemen here so first dibs remain with stuntman!

PS have larger than average stack... quite weighty 😀

Sure, but you didn't get banned from posting on the "Today I Received" topic, and named specifically:

"Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.The T

oday I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today😎 I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

Chards

What about 'today I received a proposal of marriage'?

☺️

Anyway, given that @katyc has a significant property portfolio, perhaps several male members of TSF could offer to come round and fix the plumbing, or service the boiler, whilst playing hunt the sovereign and advising her on the quality of her stack.

I will not derail this fabulous thread any further.  Carry on chaps and chapesses.

😄

Edited by Stuntman
typos

Better to buy when prices are falling rather than chase rising prices. In my humble opinion see several possible outcomes for the price of Gold. Retest $1600 then build base to challenge all time high $2100 and over time even higher prices. If inflation brought under control with interest rates and a deep recession gold likely trading sideways between $1600 - 2100 for years to come. The powers that rely on fiat system will do everything to prevent a rising gold price.

Always one chart I remember when anyone talks about if it is a good time to buy Gold 

3610BB4C-3D8D-499B-BED9-3FB98754D412.png.89dc70177dd9ecdd613119fd8956aa5d.png

Anyone prudent and bought gold to protect themselves of increasing circulation marks between 1918-1919 would have seen 40% gold price drop as the government continued print marks and pay for war/public debts everything seemed stable on the surface. Those held positions despite massive drop price Gold were eventually rewarded as hyperinflation took hold. Not saying hyperinflation happen in developed economies but history has a way of repeating itself.

Edited by Abyss
typo

5 hours ago, Abyss said:

history has a way of repeating itself.

20 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

You can say that again!

Totally. It's funny you say that, because I was just thinking about back when I sold on eBay. I remember in 2009 the postal strikes causing hell in October - Christmas orders were affected - I remember being in tears from the stress and angry customers thanks to the cluster **** it caused. And here we are again; strikes everywhere! BT now talking about strikes. Trains. Airports..... I get it - the cost of living crisis - people can't afford to live and it's truly awful. But it causes so much inconvenience and makes the failing economy fail even more by disrupting vital services (I do understand why people have to do it - but I really is a pain in the arse - there's no denying it!)

Furlough + money printing; the pound is now worthless. There's a storm brewing! That's for sure.

Anyone selling any gold today? 🤔 Give me a shout, ha ha!

47 minutes ago, katyc said:

Totally. It's funny you say that, because I was just thinking about back when I sold on eBay. I remember in 2009 the postal strikes causing hell in October - Christmas orders were affected - I remember being in tears from the stress and angry customers thanks to the cluster **** it caused. And here we are again; strikes everywhere! BT now talking about strikes. Trains. Airports..... I get it - the cost of living crisis - people can't afford to live and it's truly awful. But it causes so much inconvenience and makes the failing economy fail even more by disrupting vital services (I do understand why people have to do it - but I really is a pain in the arse - there's no denying it!)

Furlough + money printing; the pound is now worthless. There's a storm brewing! That's for sure.

Anyone selling any gold today? 🤔 Give me a shout, ha ha!

Lancashire's leading coin and bullion dealer always has gold for sale, 24/7.

We even deal with Yorkshiremen...

... and Southerners!

😎

Chards

11 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Lancashire's leading coin and bullion dealer always has gold for sale, 24/7.

We even deal with Yorkshiremen...

... and Southerners!

😎

I convinced a family member to order from you over the weekend - she bought a double and single sov ☺️

On 25/08/2022 at 21:49, katyc said:

Hi everyone 👋

I've been hanging around like a quiet little creep for a few weeks now and have just this minute activated Silver Membership. So I thought I'd pluck up the courage to create a post. I'm a beginner/newbie who's read several books, got to grips with economics and invested a considerable amount in physical silver and gold over the last month or two. I also took what I consider a small "gamble" on platinum - but just 2oz of that for now. I have been mostly buying silver due to the ratio situation, solar energy etc and am aware it is considered more risky than gold.

I want to purchase more gold (just 2 or 3oz for now) but am reluctant at the current price as it looks like it could be due a drop (even though inflation is an imminent huge driver of the price). Could you share your opinions on whether I should go for it or wait in hope for a drop? (I realise we'd need a crystal ball for a precise answer - but am interested to hear your views).

I have a small portfolio of 10 properties (which were bought thanks to being an eBay and Amazon seller. Although it took about 13 years of relentless work and stress to get there). My day job (pre 2006) was in accountancy, which I've found really useful when getting involved in retail & investing. Currently I am taking a break from buying property because I feel the stress is taking it's toll on my health/happiness (plus house prices are not ideal at the moment). Thus - the perfect opportunity to buy precious metals! All it does is sit there - no work required - what a dream! I'm happy to hold for 1 year, 10 years, 20 years - whatever really - so it's progression in value shouldn't cause me much stress (touch wood!) - but I'd like to be sure I'm not purchasing at what's considered a really high price which could deflate for years. I also believe that property and gold generally work in opposite trends to each other - so I'm balancing my risk and (hopefully) covered for all situations.

So, that's me 😊. Please say hello and break me in gently! 😬

It's good to see a new face on The Silver "I recently suffered a boating accident" Forum. Another tragic story, or epic saga/ballad, surely awaits to be regaled. Yorkshire has connection to those ruffian Vikings, so, no doubt, lost at sea after a raid on the eastern coast.

Also, northern? Yorkshire? Goodness grief, I say, but I must protest. Sounds a rather a jolly bit like the midlands to me, wot!

The inferior man argues about his rights, while the superior man imposes duties upon himself.

He who has a why can bear almost any how.

Every act of beauty is a revolt against the modern world.

On 30/08/2022 at 11:00, LawrenceChard said:

You can say that again!

😎

Not saying hyperinflation happen in developed economies but history has a way of repeating itself.

😛

23 hours ago, katyc said:

ha ha! 

Yes indeed; West Yorkshire ☺️

lol! Nearly moved up there. Went last year for an event and ended up passing by what I think was Heckmondwike, after some shouting and a few laughs with some ladies sitting outside the pub I thought I'd stop before riding back South, ordered a beer and I think I was charged like 2.30, went to the shop for fags and I think it was a fiver, when the landlady passed by I asked her if she had a room available cause I wasn't going back to Oxford 🤣

Loved the moors up there, some lovely walks, wouldn't mind nuking a few towns though, I'd do the same to London as well though to be honest, so it's not a Yorkshire thing, I just don't like cities. Had some good fun in Leeds, I still don't like it.

By the way, welcome to the nuthouse and have fun collect... erm... I mean, investing in Silver and Gold.