• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My eBay pet peeves.......... lets keep this civil!!

DrDave

I've been buying and selling on ebay for years, and it's funded many of my hobbies and 'business ventures'. This isn't about eBay, rather its about some of the buyers and sellers.

So here goes..........

1. Extortionate postage.  It doesn't cost £20 to pack and post a coin, even if its in a presentation box. 

2. Ridiculously high prices. I'm sure they'll snag a fool occasionally, but its laughable and insults my intellegence 🤪

3. Outright declining Offers. If somebody makes an offer, its usually an opening gambit, so at least have the courtesy to reply with a counter offer. By inviting offers, you're suggesting that you're up for a deal.

4. Auto declining any offer. I've offered £50 for a £100 item and it was auto declined. Fair enough. I've then tried £70 (auto-declined), and just for fun £95. Still auto declined. It was worth £100, but i moved on and found another. Whats the point accepting offers if you're not going to accept any offer??

Anyway, rant over. I'm calm now! 😇

Edited by DrDave

I agree about offers. I always look for lots that accept best offers and I always offer slightly lower than I think it's worth, hoping for a counter offer and a haggle. Sometimes I will offer a true value of what it's worth and a little more. But if sensible offers are refused, I move on.

There's loads of William IV half crowns left on there in the £50 range (ha!) that are circulated and clearly not worth that much. They'll stay on there too.

How much time do we have?!?

Right I'll try to be quick. As a seller BY FAR my biggest pet peeve are people who don't read a description or adequately look at pictures of the item they are buying. Over the years this has cost me by far the most amount of money and frusration. When this happens at the very least it will cost me money in return shipping fees or at worst some of my standing as a top rated seller and more money than just shipping fees if the buyer makes a false claim instead of admitting the fault was their inability to read and look at what they are buying.

As a bidder these days it has to be winning an auction, paying instantly for an item then being completely ghosted by the seller. This is happeniing a lot lately and it does my head in. I've had to open more cases to get my money back because of this in the last couple of months than I've had to open in the 20 previous years I've used ebay. Don't know what is going on lately but its becoming a right sh!t show

4 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

How much time do we have?!?

Right I'll try to be quick. As a seller BY FAR my biggest pet peeve are people who don't read a description or adequately look at pictures of the item they are buying. Over the years this has cost me by far the most amount of money and frusration. When this happens at the very least it will cost me money in return shipping fees or at worst some of my standing as a top rated seller and more money than just shipping fees if the buyer makes a false claim instead of admitting the fault was their inability to read and look at what they are buying.

As a bidder these days it has to be winning an auction, paying instantly for an item then being completely ghosted by the seller. This is happeniing a lot lately and it does my head in. I've had to open more cases to get my money back because of this in the last couple of months than I've had to open in the 20 previous years I've used ebay. Don't know what is going on lately but its becoming a right sh!t show

Yes, one of my recent larger purchases was silent as soon as i paid. He happily answered questions running up ti the sale, and then nothing! Item turned up though, but no dispatch notifiction. 

First i heard was when he asked me to leave feedback. Of course i left appropriate feedback 😂

1 minute ago, Bigmarc said:

My peeve is someone messaging me with an offer when I don't accept them. I do agree with your first two points tho. 

Yes, i've had that before. And when its an auction only and i get asked what i would accept as a buy it now. When you tell them £100 they reply with 'oh i won't more that £10!!' 😕

7 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

1 dealing with utter scuzzbuckets 

2 dealing with utter tossbags

3 people who bid and win an item only to back out as they don't have the money

4 see 1,2,&3 

Whats the difference between a scuzzbucket and a tossbag? Is it a North/South thing! 🤣

8 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Sellers who use the 'Buy it Now or Best Offer' feature. I offered £17.50 for an item advertised at £20. The seller then sent a counter offer of £20.

Needless to say i didn't bother..... 

Yep, been there too. 

Even if it still a good deal, i tend to pass on by

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

Yes, one of my recent larger purchases was silent as soon as i paid. He happily answered questions running up ti the sale, and then nothing! Item turned up though, but no dispatch notifiction. 

First i heard was when he asked me to leave feedback. Of course i left appropriate feedback 😂

I've noticed this too.

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

Yep this describes me. 

What am I supposed to say after a sale? The beauty of eBay is that I don't have to have constant communication with a bidder all I have to do is list and post (and have forgotten to send a dispatch notice) If I go to a auction house and bid on a item I never even see the seller. I have tried Facebook in the past just to get around the fees and to be honest the fees are worth paying for. 

2 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Yep this describes me. 

What am I supposed to say after a sale? The beauty of eBay is that I don't have to have constant communication with a bidder all I have to do is list and post (and have forgotten to send a dispatch notice) If I go to a auction house and bid on a item I never even see the seller. I have tried Facebook in the past just to get around the fees and to be honest the fees are worth paying for. 

I agree. Some sellers will send thank you's and exactly when they're going to post etc. Its nice but.........

All i do is print the invoice, print the postage label and it automatically marks the item as dispatched. My ebay will even send positive feed back when a buyer pays. And thats all i'd want from a seller. Just keeping me in the loop when things are moving along.

13 minutes ago, DrDave said:

I agree. Some sellers will send thank you's and exactly when they're going to post etc. Its nice but.........

All i do is print the invoice, print the postage label and it automatically marks the item as dispatched. My ebay will even send positive feed back when a buyer pays. And thats all i'd want from a seller. Just keeping me in the loop when things are moving along.

Probably the reason only 25% of people who buy from me leave feedback. I use to sell on Etsy a few years back, was a bit more organized then. Currently don't have a printer and hand write everything (moved house, kids, job) I don't have the capacity to do any more at the mo, will get my a*se in gear soon tho.

I sometimes sell unwanted non PM items on eBay. 

My personal peeve is the generally rude tone that people use when asking questions about an item for sale.…

”It’s listed for more than you are gonna get so I will offer you half - take it or leave it”

”Do you post to Ghana”.  I was selling a lawn mower…

”Can we do a deal off eBay - can send a cheque”

On a brand new MacBook Pro that was cellophane sealed “can u open it bruv wanna see its gen”

Not my circus, not my monkeys

3 hours ago, DrDave said:

4. Auto declining any offer. I've offered £50 for a £100 item and it was auto declined. Fair enough

My pet peeve, people who offer less than 10% of asking 🤣

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

6 minutes ago, Chorlton said:

I had this eBay seller who would not post a lawn mower to Ghana from the UK, how miserable 🤔

Do they even have grass in Ghana, the green type that needs mowing? 🤠

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

19 minutes ago, Chorlton said:

I had this eBay seller who would not post a lawn mower to Ghana from the UK, how miserable 🤔

I am not making it up!  It was some sort of scam of course.  Possibly a bot sending mails to many accounts based on a key word. 

Made me chuckle

Not my circus, not my monkeys

2 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

Buying something listed as despatched within 1 day by 1st class post. Sent 14 days later by 2nd class.

Oh yeah. I'm in one of those situation at the moment. Just a cheap BUNC coin, but annoying as hell. More promises sent tonight with 'please forgive me' as a parting shot!

I can feel a dispute being opened in the morning

in someways probably more binlord of the week material but these are on the non pm side

people who post out of focus pictures

only post pictures of one side of the coin

say its a silver proof when you can instantly tell its a circulated coin

dont include coas or original packaging for proofs

use phrases like rare / error coin then dont say what the error is or why a 2 million ciculation coin is rare

etc etc

anyone of them shouts red flag for me and i wait til a proper listing is on.

i dont trust ebay enough to buy silver or gold.  i barely trust you lot 😁

I’m surprised eBay is still running.

The eBay platform is unfortunately used by some people to scam others out of money, some sellers selling fake items, some buyers declaring items as not received when they have been.

Speaking from experience of course, sadly. I hope it gets shut down and I appreciate that there are far more genuine sellers and buyers then there are crooks but it’s the people at the top of eBay that refuse to do anything about it that’s the most frustrating.

I wouldn’t sell dust on eBay.