• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best Sovereigns for stacking?

bluemoon

I have some 2022s already but I see they're pricier than mix dates. Are the old Sovs any good for stacking? Some of them date back to the 1970s so if they're that old I'm wondering if they'd be harder to sell if they look dingy. Is the premium for the 2022s only because they are new and nothing else?

As far as I understand it - and I still have my L plates on when it comes to Sovereigns - if you're stacking, go for cheapest over spot price (for gold) that you can get, condition isn't a big consideration... as long as they don't look like they have been chewed by a dog 😊 and even then, they'll be worth close to spot I'd say... 🤔

There are lots of Sovereigns that attract a premium, from 'as new' condition ones to sought after ones to proofs etc - the list is a long one - but I've settled on bullion Gillick Sovereigns for the time being, as I like the Obverse and they don't seem to be attracting a huge premium at the moment. They may become sought after in years to come, who knows, but they'll always be worth a Sovereign! and they're nice to look at... Plus there are only 10 to collect, as the portrait changed after those were minted, so possibly a good way to get started with a sovereign collection?

The 2022's are likely to be popular in the future, as it's celebrating the pretty rare occurrence of Her Maj's 70 year Reign!

I have a couple of different sizes of these, and have dipped my toe in the Graded coin scene with a half & Full 2022 Sovereign - hefty premium over bullion, but they seem to be holding their own so far...

And there's the 'Special years' - one year Reverse types (including the 2022 as it goes) so: 1989, 2002, 2005, 2012 & 2017 - may have missed some though.

I'm sure you'll get loads of excellent advice from the Forum Folks, but that's my tuppence worth for you - hope it helps! 👍

Bob

Edited by Scootermuppet
spellings etc

I’m pretty new to this myself, however, you may wish to read up a bit about sovereigns. There is a vast array of buying sovereigns, from proof to specific dates, Kings or Queen. The 2022 doesn’t have the usual St George on, as have others and these usually sell for a premium. Any sovereign can be used for stacking, just depends how cheap you can get it for whilst others have an added numismatic value.

Just now, Petra said:

I’m pretty new to this myself, however, you may wish to read up a bit about sovereigns. There is a vast array of buying sovereigns, from proof to specific dates, Kings or Queen. The 2022 doesn’t have the usual St George on, as have others and these usually sell for a premium. Any sovereign can be used for stacking, just depends how cheap you can get it for whilst others have an added numismatic value.

... and it's soooo easy to get lured down the Sovereign 'Rabbit Hole" - I should know ! 😅

If you are lured in by their Siren Charms, then a copy of this book will help make sense of it all... or melt your brain! 🤭 - excellent fun though.

image.png.3c9860feb4f80c0c21a679528b2b9a06.png

1 minute ago, Scootermuppet said:

... and it's soooo easy to get lured down the Sovereign 'Rabbit Hole" - I should know ! 😅

If you are lured in by their Siren Charms, then a copy of this book will help make sense of it all... or melt your brain! 🤭 - excellent fun though.

image.png.3c9860feb4f80c0c21a679528b2b9a06.png

🫢🤡👍to true

With the present economic outlook, I would go for cheapest % premium recent years (most recognisable, best condition). Chards do a 'Minty' but I've not recently checked prices, maybe go for more specific years if they are not much more expensive.

The 2022s are a decent bet, but lots of people are stocking up on those expecting them to do well - I think it will be one of the highest mintage years personally and not hard to come by.

Look for other recent opportunities that others haven't spotted yet, the ones with privys (e.g. 2017 are selling on the secondary market at a small mark-up at present, I would go for these rather than 2022s, especially if you already have some).

16 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

And there's the 'Special years' - one year Reverse types (including the 2022 as it goes) so: 1989, 2002, 2005, 2012 & 2017 - may have missed some though.

There was no bullion 1989, and the proofs are now prohibitively expensive imho unless you're looking for an expensive purchase that might increase even more (but that's not stacking). 2017 bullion just had a privy - not special reverse - still worth picking up at a low % if you can. 2002, 2005, 2012 - sorry I forget which, but one or two of these may still be picked up for a decent % premium.

23 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

I've settled on bullion Gillick Sovereigns for the time being, as I like the Obverse and they don't seem to be attracting a huge premium at the moment. They may become sought after in years to come, who knows, but they'll always be worth a Sovereign! and they're nice to look at... Plus there are only 10 to collect, as the portrait changed after those were minted, so possibly a good way to get started with a sovereign collection?

I think this is a very good call! :)

2 hours ago, bluemoon said:

I have some 2022s already but I see they're pricier than mix dates. Are the old Sovs any good for stacking? Some of them date back to the 1970s so if they're that old I'm wondering if they'd be harder to sell if they look dingy. Is the premium for the 2022s only because they are new and nothing else?

Buy the lowest premium within reason.

Also 2022 double sovs are currently lower premium than singles at the well known Blackpool coin dealer.

Check free postage deal for TSF members.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

1 minute ago, dicker said:

No matter what the premium is I can’t bring myself to buy the “Copper toned” post 2000 Sovereigns. Not only is the colour awful, the strike lacks definition.

Gillicks or earlier work every time for me!

Fair enough! But for stacking though?

4 minutes ago, dicker said:

No matter what the premium is I can’t bring myself to buy the “Copper toned” post 2000 Sovereigns. Not only is the colour awful, the strike lacks definition.

They stopped making proper gold coins in 1999.

The 2000 onwards coins look just like 9ct gold.

Edited by SidS

7 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Fair enough! But for stacking though?

Fair point. But HGM do them reasonably at times (they have had no Gillicks for over a month now!)

Also we have had some cracking Gillick deals on TSF over the last 6 months.  @Catstudent and also a Greek member selling great Gillicks at great prices 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

But that doesn't matter for stacking .

I used to stack Vicky Shields and guineas. Every time the price of sovereigns went up (and we're talking from £60 up to £300 per coin) I thought, if I've got to pay £250 for a coin I'm not buying bog standard St. George rubbish, I'm putting the money into shields and guineas. It turned out to be a good move when it came to sell.

I really love shield sovereigns.

1 minute ago, SidS said:

I used to stack Vicky Shields and guineas. Every time the price of sovereigns went up (and we're talking from £60 up to £300 per coin) I thought, if I've got to pay £250 for a coin I'm not buying bog standard St. George rubbish, I'm putting the money into shields and guineas. It turned out to be a good move when it came to sell.

Yes, they really are an outstanding design, but not stackable these days because of the price!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 minute ago, SidS said:

Me too, but those days (for now) are sadly long behind us :(

OP is asking for advice as of now.

I'd still stack shield sovereigns at £400 per coin or even £500 for earlies. Above market at the moment perhaps, but I'd still pay it. Remember when I was stacking shields I was buying them well above spot price and still came out on top because they always kept ahead of St. George coins.

My only regret is that I never jumped in on George IV and William IV coins when they were less than £650-£800 per coin!

I've always wanted a George IV bare head and William IV sovereign. That said at those prices, I'd be heading for guineas and hammered gold instead.

Edited by SidS

For purely stacking the best bet is dealers best value random pick.. I have started buying these recently and haven't had a bad coin yet.  If you just want 22ct Sovereign you can't go wrong..   I was sent one for £365 and the exact coin had I picked that date from he's list was £395

Edited by pricha

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Buy the lowest premium within reason.

Also 2022double sovs are currently lower preium thansingles at the well known Blackpool coin dealer.

Check free postage deal for TSF members.

😎

I just tried to order one.

Your system kicked me out repeatedly (I tried 3 times) due to my details supposedly not matching my billing address (they do), and then told me my attempted purchase had expired. I give up and will take my business elsewhere.

It's as if you don't actually want customers (and not the first time I have had this kind of nonsense from Chards - I have never had any trouble whatsoever ordering from your competition).

24 minutes ago, pricha said:

For purely stacking the best bet is dealers best value random pick.. I have started buying these recently and haven't had a bad coin yet.  If you just want 22ct Sovereign you can't go wrong..   I was sent one for £365 and the exact coin had I picked that date from he's list was £395

Was that Atkinson's?

1 hour ago, dicker said:

The red ones would be great as 7th anniversary gifts!

But otherwise I agree.

😎

Chards

34 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I just tried to order one.

Your system kicked me out repeatedly (I tried 3 times) due to my details supposedly not matching my billing address (they do), and then told me my attempted purchase had expired. I give up and will take my business elsewhere.

It's as if you don't actually want customers (and not the first time I have had this kind of nonsense from Chards - I have never had any trouble whatsoever ordering from your competition).

Yes, we are a little picky about our customers!

I copied and pasted the above to our CS Team, and will tag @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer in to this conversation.

We are aware that some online sales fail to complete, for various reasons.

Thanks for the feedback though.

😎

Chards

If your paying more for 2022 Sovereigns than best value, your buying from the wrong places, try here 

https://tavexbullion.co.uk/gold/british-sovereign-2022-gold-bullion/

https://bullionhouse.co.uk/product/2022-gold-sovereign-platinum-jubilee-coin/

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/gold-sovereign-2022

All are cheaper than the cheapest best value sovereign, which is currently HGM https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/gold-sovereign

2022's should stay the cheapest until the 2023 sovereign comes out in a couple of months, then it will start attracting more of a premium if it follows the same pattern as previous years

14 hours ago, bluemoon said:

Looks like you’ve had lots of good advice so far, as you start your ‘stacking’ journey. As a mainly collector I can only make some observations. Collecting or Stacking seems like polarised politics at first glance, but I assure you everyone does a bit of both. A die hard stacker has to put aside likes, dislikes, and preferences, and buy what is going to make money! Collectors are far more discerning and buy what they like and can afford. In the future you may want to leave the ‘dark side’ to be one of us! 😉🤗

Edited by Britannia47

13 hours ago, SidS said:

I'd still stack shield sovereigns at £400 per coin or even £500 for earlies. Above market at the moment perhaps, but I'd still pay it. Remember when I was stacking shields I was buying them well above spot price and still came out on top because they always kept ahead of St. George coins.

My only regret is that I never jumped in on George IV and William IV coins when they were less than £650-£800 per coin!

I've always wanted a George IV bare head and William IV sovereign. That said at those prices, I'd be heading for guineas and hammered gold instead.

Hey Sid, Atkinsons had a load of shields in yesterday, couple of good ones as well - https://atkinsonsbullion.com/pre-owned/dated-sovereigns/victoria-young-head-shield-1838-1887?utm_source=Atkinsons+Bullion+%26+Coins+-+GDPR&utm_campaign=2d4566e132-Shield+Sovereign+Gold+Coins&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3cac732c79-2d4566e132-106648693

Edited by Orpster

15 hours ago, SidS said:

Apologies to 'Bluemoon' for this digression, but just a quick photo!  - George IV 1829 Bare Head - Marsh 14 and William IV 1832 Marsh 17A (R3) Think I must pre-date your collection.... Paid £225 and £128 respectively in 1997

You may have first refusal when I sell. !! 🤩

IMG_3404 (2).JPG