• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The collapse of the coin collector market

i don't like Queenie on the Maple but in general i am not interested in the Queen side. 
i don't believe people will stop collecting when Charles III or George VII comes to the throne.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

15 hours ago, fiveshotdon said:

I witnessed a huge shift of negative sentiment towards royalty

The quicker the better, off with there heads - Happy Bastille Day!

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I don't think it's too difficult to forecast a number things which will be popular in a few years, starting with:

Sex.

Alcohol (in moderation or otherwise).

Holidays.

Chilling out.

Sounds like you're going to take Chards in a totally new direction with this new business plan 😀

I would like to state that coin collecting is one of the oldest hobbies in existence and there are so many positives going for it.  But my fear is that society is being led, or "social engineering" is at work to trick us into thinking virtual is better than physical. The metaverse replacing everything. How long before everyone will prefer their bitcoins instead of bullion? and NFTs instead of numismatics?

Before anyone criticises me and claims I have a "fevered mind" or what not, take a look around. It's unfolding in front of our eyes. The IoT, NFT, crypto, CBDC, SDN. Everything is moving to a cloud based existence and at a rapid pace.

9 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

I would like to state that coin collecting is one of the oldest hobbies in existence and there are so many positives going for it.  But my fear is that society is being led, or "social engineering" is at work to trick us into thinking virtual is better than physical. The metaverse replacing everything. How long before everyone will prefer their bitcoins instead of bullion? and NFTs instead of numismatics?

Before anyone criticises me and claims I have a "fevered mind" or what not, take a look around. It's unfolding in front of our eyes. The IoT, NFT, crypto, CBDC, SDN. Everything is moving to a cloud based existence and at a rapid pace.

My personal gripe with the metaverse is how easy it is to duplicate.

Say if you have all your digital assets in metaverse 1.0 and they say actually we're going to scrap that and go over to metaverse 2.0, all your assets can potentially go up in a puff of smoke!

1 hour ago, Dom said:

Picking the lesser of 2 evils is still choosing evil. I prefer to choose good. Not meaning to sound like a holier-than-thou tw@ but if you take a proper look into the monarchy it appears a cesspit of child abuse and scandals. I should point out that I'm a full on libertarian and think we should have a meritocracy as opposed to a ruling elite who quite literally refer to anyone not part of their bloodline as 'the goyim'. 

Politics is a farce as well, if voting mattered they wouldn't allow it. It's there to give you the illusion of choice imo. Just my 2 pennies. Each to their own, but I actually despise the monarchy and our government too. Government: 'govern' = 'control', 'ment' = 'mind', 'government' = 'mind control'. 

I agree with you about a meritocracy, but not many people realise I am the best guy around, and I think it would be too much like hard work to get the fact through enough thick heads, so I am going to leave them to their own devices.

Putin almost certainly thinks he is the best man to do his job, and I am not going to argue with him.

If there was a simple choice between you shooting me, and me shooting you, I would definitely choose the latter, being the lesser of two evils in my firm opinion. Of course you may disagree.

😎

Chards

37 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

Sounds like you're going to take Chards in a totally new direction with this new business plan 😀

No, the above was a list of forecast popular activities.

We will stick with our established coins and bullion business.

Mind you, we do have some ideas for eventual expansion and diversification:

Coins

Holidays

Alcohol

Relaxation

Driving

Sex

Of course, we have a ready acronym for this:

C.H.A.R.D.S.

😎

Chards

18 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

Say if you have all your digital assets in metaverse 1.0 and they say actually we're going to scrap that and go over to metaverse 2.0, all your assets can potentially go up in a puff of smoke!

Being able to scrap digital assets would be perfect for the centralisation of power. What's more, such assets will be programmable. The granularity is such that they could be limited/restricted in almost any way imaginable. There are no bounds to the restrictions that could be put on any asset/data in some form or other.

Physical coins of intrinsic value are just a hindrance to the new system, or as some may call it, the Fourth Industrial Revolution.

We have already witnessed the number of devices that form the IoT surpassing the number of human beings on the planet. How long before a human is considered a member of IoT? That's when it gets really scary.

This threatens far more than just coin collecting, but I raised this point as what I perceive to be the biggest threat to the hobby/investment. I'm sure no one wants to hear it. It is rather saddening. 

49 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

The metaverse replacing everything. How long before everyone will prefer their bitcoins instead of bullion? and NFTs instead of numismatics?

It's a natural evolution of the space, it's really early days with many different use cases that is not necessarily related to gold. Think of gold and it's journey to from when it was discovered to where we are today, it has shaped the world we live in and has intrinsic value based upon its history. 

Take this forum as an example. How many times do you visit? Before tsf was here, where did you go to discuss precious metals? And where can you see it going next? This is essentially a virtual pub where "almost" everyone has a common interest, we even have a virtual market place to exchange physical products, can that be improved on? 

I think the digital world has a long way to go and it maybe the equivalent of a historic youngster buying a sovereign for £10. 

There is and there will always be a strong difference between numismatic and bullion market. It is obvious that today (2022) there are a bunch of coins that are considered as bullion, but will eventually be considered differently in 20? 30? 50? years. Who considered Edward VII or George V sovs else than round pieces of gold just few years ago? Nowadays they attract a numismatic value..

Collectors dont really care if the current monarch is a nice/good one or not. They are interested in numismatic coins, and i really doubt that all victorians or pre victorians sovs will have less appeal when Charles will become king. Stackers maybe, but the will have a large choice and they will keep accumulating

22 minutes ago, refero said:

There is and there will always be a strong difference between numismatic and bullion market. It is obvious that today (2022) there are a bunch of coins that are considered as bullion, but will eventually be considered differently in 20? 30? 50? years. Who considered Edward VII or George V sovs else than round pieces of gold just few years ago? Nowadays they attract a numismatic value..

Collectors dont really care if the current monarch is a nice/good one or not. They are interested in numismatic coins, and i really doubt that all victorians or pre victorians sovs will have less appeal when Charles will become king. Stackers maybe, but the will have a large choice and they will keep accumulating

I agree.

Personally, I have always thought Edward VII sovereigns look boring and dull, especially when circulated, but despite that, and the fact he is long since dead, I'm stilll happy to accept them at face value.

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

Same as I stated for the coins, lead by example. I have closed all of accounts, I don't stream music any more, I don't do kindles or similar, I buy phisical copies, I have CDs and vynils and books, last weekend I was considering terminating my mobile contract and switch permanently to the landline.

Don't worry about poor habits, don't tell them how they are wrong, show them how your life is happier. You don't have to convince them all, nudging one is enough, make a ripple.

Firstly, The monarchy. Despite the economic (Tourism) benefits) I would like to see Royalty wound up like a company at the end of the Queens impeccable 70yr + reign. It’s not her fault she has a disfunctual family! Having said that, the accusation of sexual child abuse and scandal is a bit pointed. It’s present in all walks of life worldwide - the rich and powerful, politicians, entertainers, film makers, and so on. I would point my finger at the literally ‘holier than thou’ brigade in the Roman Catholic Church who has abused its position of trust for decades, particularly in Ireland and Australia. Past demeanours by our Monarchy are small fry in comparison.

Secondly, It must be difficult to collect any gold and silver without the Queens portrait on the obverse. I personally will buy anything that appeals to me, especially Britannias, Maples, Nuggets, Kangeroos, and of course Sovereigns ( Bullion and Proofs) and have done for 25 years. The Queen is on all of them, but I don’t care!😊

33 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

It's the other side of a sovereign that gets me, St George slaying a dragon. I always think "was it a small lie that has got out of hand". 

Please elaborate! Pistrucci’ s design is of special interest to me.

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

It's the other side of a sovereign that gets me, St George slaying a dragon. I always think "was it a small lie that has got out of hand". 

I thought you were going to demand we report it to the R.S.P.A.

After all, what sort of example is it to glorify killing relatively harmless lizards?

😎

Chards

getting back to the title of the thread... i still dont get the link with a change of monarch and a collapse of the coin collector market. As said; 

collectors as i am, will just keep buying numismatic (therefore nothing related to the current monarch..) pieces when possible...

stackers will just keep buying gold (and if they dont like Charles face on the coins there is plenty of gold with other faces or with no faces at all to be bought) because they are buying a store of value and dont give a **§*é*é*é* about whos shown on their precious pieces of shiny metal

6 hours ago, GoldStatue said:

In which case, I am going to avoid the MetaVerse and stick with good old fashioned MetaProse.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, refero said:

getting back to the title of the thread... i still dont get the link with a change of monarch and a collapse of the coin collector market. As said; 

collectors as i am, will just keep buying numismatic (therefore nothing related to the current monarch..) pieces when possible...

stackers will just keep buying gold (and if they dont like Charles face on the coins there is plenty of gold with other faces or with no faces at all to be bought) because they are buying a store of value and dont give a **§*é*é*é* about whos shown on their precious pieces of shiny metal

And if people don't want coins with Charles' face on the front side, they could have an alternative feature on the back side!

😎

Chards

6 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

There are no such things as dragon's 

I had to think hard about whether you were querying the presence of an apostrophe in a previous post, but...

That's because "heroes" on horseback rode around the place slaughtering them all to keep maidens safe (from the dragons at least), and the poor things became extinct.

I guess you don't count Komodo Dragons (Varanus komodoensis) as being real dragons.

There are no such things as Dodos, but they still appear as designs on coins.

1078548699_a-mauritian-flycatcher-dodo-bird-standing-on-its-nest-1000-rupees-reversecopy.jpg.363e6e81b7ff5c3161be82e74e037e83.jpg

But they are quite rare!

😎

Chards

If they get rid of the Royal Family we'd only end up with a presidential system replacement. No doubt abundant with former PMs and celebrities. President Blair, Attenborough or Piers Morgan, Katie Price or some such. I'm also glad our head of state isn't actually in a political party either.

But I digress.

10 hours ago, ady said:

The quicker the better, off with there heads - Happy Bastille Day!

I think you must mean “Off with their heads”

Are you stuck in 17th century France?

Are you a descendent of that cretin Cromwell?

All above questions are rhetorical.