• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold coin conservation pictures

@RDHC I use an ultrasonic tank for the 1/2 sovereign and a few other process I’m working to perfect the process.  I can only presume it’s very similar to the conservation process the grading companies use. 

I’ll doing a my very toned silver proof £1 set soon I’ll pop up a few pictures. 

Also have a proof sovereign with finger prints so wi be removing that soon. 

23 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@RDHC I use an ultrasonic tank for the 1/2 sovereign and a few other process I’m working to perfect the process.  I can only presume it’s very similar to the conservation process the grading companies use. 

I’ll doing a my very toned silver proof £1 set soon I’ll pop up a few pictures. 

Also have a proof sovereign with finger prints so wi be removing that soon. 

Thank you. Very interesting. Please keep us informed. You might have the makings of a business here.

Roger

@RDHC Thanks mate, I've been doing  this for a while I'm also doing NGC submissions for people now got a few TSF members.   With coin conservation is a 50/50 process.   50% having the skill and 50% having the confidence of handling the coin safety  bullion sovereigns are easier proof coins are less forgiving.    

I'll keep the post up to date with more of my coins.   Cheers 👍

Just now, Darr3nG said:

Looks fantastic, Dave. Well done.

Does it take long, and does it cost much in materials... is it worth cleaning a whole bunch of cheap bullion?

I could do a full tube in 1 hour.  And it’s not expensive. 

32 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Not gold this time, a grotty toned ASE, 

Some before and afters, the result are good, 

Tone as gone, surface much better, overall  much more pleasing on the eye.  

C338234B-B219-4A0F-BD51-E7F63CC6FB73.jpeg

0B3BB7B6-21B1-4C2E-9F69-837AAD60D26B.jpeg

494BE26F-DE05-4AE4-B741-A09095CA2859.jpeg

EB9E638C-8F08-4DEC-851D-A2F16B5349C1.jpeg

Bravo sir!  I have more than a few tubes that could really use this voodoo treatment.

Dave, have you had any older coins that you've 'conserved' graded yet like that Sov?

I know people who do their own conservation on modern proofs and manage to get the grades up. But I wonder if NGC etc would call these cleaned, not because of any evidence, just because they look far too good and clean to have survived 'naturally' like that.

@kimchi  Yes I’ve had some sovereigns graded and had some mega results.  The dreaded “details” can be where someone has taken a polishing cloth or used cotton buds and there’s obvious swirl marks, or polished high points.   Seen on older silvers “altered surface” 

I will be putting in a few 1/2 bullion sovereigns in for grading in my next batch not expecting silly high grades.  I would not do old silver. 

Just did  the bullion silver rounds for fun to see the difference, I’m doing a silver proof set this evening as this is has toned quite bad and got grotty, I will conserve modern silver proof coins as it does make them more appealing.  

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

30 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Today is my silver proof £1 set these have all got black grotty tone around the edge and some are worse than other. I’m doing 12 this afternoon done 6. 

This is just 1 coin before and after the results? 

DA672A08-71B6-4924-8CED-30CB665CAB8B.jpeg

1DA0A602-9BE1-4609-87B2-7F61712DD47A.jpeg

D2BB11B9-FC49-4CEF-8098-51766392E0C1.jpeg

E1286F98-D413-4CB7-A190-A82DA52D254C.jpeg

80856133-8514-43B4-B7D4-5D7F13D0B1F4.jpeg

B2B65A5F-B3CD-4008-8F3D-43901887EC70.jpeg

17D95695-EFBC-473F-82F8-B1AE818F45FE.jpeg

A8F9F44F-6974-4B5A-BBA2-307E8B3E4D12.jpeg

950EDB5F-92E9-4A79-8417-280BB33C5088.jpeg

4146BB23-05BE-4EE9-97B7-BB1796C67788.jpeg

669E87E7-E6CA-4E0A-8A21-52A6E47514BC.jpeg

B4155DF4-170F-4CEE-8ECB-B6E38D19D61B.jpeg

BDD3E823-6226-4677-A7E9-C4298D723A04.jpeg

39828D92-5E15-49DD-B637-F03985C3B1E1.jpeg

62A2E55B-5CF8-46FF-B650-D5E712ADD98C.jpeg

That looks fantastic Dave, maybe you could do that football coin for me? it's only a fingerprint should be childs play for you! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressive indeed!

In terms of what you do to conserve proof coins is this different to what say NGC or PCGS does when coins are sent in for their conservation and grading service? 

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

Loving the results you are getting...some stunners there.

Have you tried a Ag round with milk spots to see if they come off?...I'm kinda of assuming they would given the results above, but interested to know if you had the opportunity to try and combat the scourge of Maple stackers.

@CoinStruck it’s hard to say as the NGC and PCGS have proprietarily conservation processes, I would pay very good money to see the techniques they use.  

I have had very good results with bullion sovereigns that I have sent to the NGC they most definitely don’t come back with the dreaded “details”.

I have been working on my own process and techniques and continually update the best process,  the 1/4 Krugerrand has a small spot on the obverse on his cheek, I’ll give it another go.  

With some coins they need 3-4 attempts to remove the unwanted marks.  

@Oddjob I am working on a workaround with milk spots it’s impossible to remove them however I’m working on something that may help the appearance of silver bullion coins.  

A few weeks away at the moment but will post some pictures if it works.