• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Sovereign selling prices in the high street near you today

Midasfrog

Where I am there is one shop which sells coins amongst other collectibles, however they are usually proof at quite a high price. There are several pawn shops and one regularly has a variety of half sovereigns at £190 and full sovereigns at around £390. Occasionally they have the 1/8 etc from various seller.

1 hour ago, Bxlsteve said:

Interesting topic, here you simply don’t find those coins in high street shops. 

I think most Jewelers just see sovereigns and coins as scrap bullion to be past onto their gold bullion dealer.

Most will view them as not a good look in the shop display window 

I just purchased an Edward vii half sovereign this morning from my local pawn shop. They have half sov's for £185 and full sov's for £360. They only had 2 full sov's as struggling to get hold of any.

There is another franchised pawn shop called Ramsdens that are selling them for £400 each

It's worth having a closer look at the coins and most jewellers don't have a clue what they are selling.  I've bought proof sovereigns for bullion.  Go in take a load of pictures and post here to see if there are any errors/ rare dates etc.   A 1859 Ansel or a 1863 (827)would  be a good buy for £525

Be very aware of Krugerrands as I've seen loads of fakes same for £5 Sovereigns.  

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

1 hour ago, BullionBuyerUK said:

I just purchased an Edward vii half sovereign this morning from my local pawn shop. They have half sov's for £185 and full sov's for £360. They only had 2 full sov's as struggling to get hold of any.

There is another franchised pawn shop called Ramsdens that are selling them for £400 each

Yeah, here they are £190 and £399

57 minutes ago, Divmad said:

Not quite as cheap as on here, either, specially when comparing like for like condition.

1 minute ago, Petra said:

Yeah, here they are £190 and £399

The 1966 full sovereign was really nice when looked at closer, they were until recently in quite a prominent place in the window, now they are hidden amongst the big gold jewellery 

6 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

These sovereign prices were seen in a UK high street Jewelers today.  They also had some 1oz Krugerrands a couple of weeks ago for £1550 but they have gone now . 

How do these prices compare with retail shops near you ?

I don't have any retail shops selling gold coins near me but those prices near you are way too high.

Unless you are looking for a bargain rare coin as previously mentioned, there is absolutely no reason to contemplate buying from high street shops. Not when you have TSF at your fingertips😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I don't have any retail shops selling gold coins near me but those prices near you are way too high.

Unless you are looking for a bargain rare coin as previously mentioned, there is absolutely no reason to contemplate buying from high street shops. Not when you have TSF at your fingertips😉

Yes TSF is the best place to buy and sell without a doubt 😃

I don't venture near towns very often but haven't seen much bullion at all. A couple of antique and pawn shop type places have had a few silver coins in but not seen any bargains. There's a bullion shop I've visited and his prices are competitive with the 'big' online dealers usually around £10 over spot maybe a smidge over.

An interesting thread.

Those prices seem quite high but it’s always worth looking.

I haven’t ever bought coins from a high street bullion shop or jewellers but if I saw any sovereigns, I’d stop to look. I’m sure most here would.

I think buying from coin shops in person is more popular in US than in U.K.

It’s all part of the fun in a way, spotting a rarity amongst the sovereigns in the window for a little over bullion price would be a good trip to the high street.

Edited by Foster88

My local bullion dealer in the High Street is more competitive than a pawn shop/cash converter around the corner from him. When he has a few sovereigns that have just come in, he checks the price against BBP website and then quotes their prices, this is when I quote other website prices back at him for the same sovereigns and we then agree a reasonable price with each other. 

I wonder if having a few sovereigns in the window with high prices attracts people in selling their sovereigns hoping to get a better price .

Once in the shop it is harder for people to turn down a slightly lower price than expected all though a high percentage of the general public dont have a clue what the price of gold is and have never heard of spot price. So just getting any cash for the sovereigns found in their relatives house clearance is a result .

Always like a glance in a pawn brokers or jewellers window when im on my travels in the hope of a Saturday staff popping an original gold Una & Lion in the window for spot. Sadly not yet, I cant recall i have ever buying one piece in my decade plus of stacking. Always wayyyy way over priced items

My local Ramsdens had a +£500 premium over spot for a 1oz krugerrand the last time i past their shop in North East. Crazy ! 🤔   

Got a great bricks and mortar coin dealers in my local city, who always have a steady stock/supply of gold coins at reasonable sensible premiums, deal over the counter, can pick and choose, see conditions there and then, and they're happy to take cash.  I think i get good service as i always bring him in a coffee when i visit