• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stopping using Royal Mint for good ? Boycotting completely, voting with your feet/wallet, discussion.....

My concern is that if things don't get better it could directly impact on my pension..

I am aware of two long-term purchasers of RM product who have recently decided not to bother any more. Not for reasons of quality (the advent of coin grading has fuelled some peoples unrealistic expectations in my opinion) - but because of the queue system used by the RM. They have missed out on several recent releases and refuse to participate in the feeding frenzy that follows. But i digress.. 

I consider myself a collector more than a stacker but the end goal is to sell a lot of my coins to fund my retirement. If the reputation of the RM takes much more of a pounding then secondary market values will follow. I have never intended to make a heap of money from buying coins and have considered them a store of wealth with the potential to outperform interest rates (a bit like premium bonds). Most will see little return but some will fly. But a big part of  this plan is that the collecting of modern coins remains popular.

8 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@Paul its very easy for people to look like hypocrites, one minute criticising them, the next selling their coins and making profit.  I’m one of these people.

Dealing with the RM can be a head banging painful experience, I think their business model is just bang out as many commemorative proof coins at all cost and everything else is secondary. 

When the mint get it right it’s fantastic for everyone, however just the basics are lacking, communication keeping customers up to date.  Like most companies it’s more cost-effective to be reactive than it is to deal with the problems before they happen, as they know we all will keep coming back for more.

I've got no real axe to grind personally, I've been very fortunate and super lucky. I just made the thread for the purposes of debate and gentle guidance

Your points you raise are totally correct, as they mostly always are

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now getting beyond cheesed off with the delivery times.   I'm soon going to be in month 5 waiting for them to deliver the 1kg Silver gothic.  Even simple small 1oz silvers are taking 8-12 weeks.  

I've emailed my AM yesterday and cancelled a number of coins,  as it's pointless to continue waiting any longer as I keep getting the same old BS from them, it will be in stock at the end of the month they said that in December, January, February, March, April. 

I'd say vote with your feet but the reality we will keep on buying,  BUT I am now putting a time limit on my orders and say if they can not deliver by X date then cancel the order I'll just have to see if this works........I have had this before with orders the second you try and cancel they magically make them available. 

I'll let you know if this strategy works,   

P.S my 2022 Proof half sovereigns from the Perth mint came in 6 days.   

On 26/03/2022 at 13:41, Paul said:

Just making this a separate thread, to put it out there for open discussion for the community here

It is mentioned on various comments with great regularity ongoing multiple issues with usually Royal Mint Inc

• QC issues
  • Flawed/damaged coins being sent out
  • Packing/capsules
  • Multiple returns
  • Delays
  • Rapid fire, conveyor belt like releases one after another, week after week
  • Lack lustre customer support
  • Selling "pre-graded70" coins
  • ......take your pick

Is it not the case, we should just wave our white flags and stop supporting and spending our cash with a brand.

Would you still use a restaurant if you had experienced this many issues 

Would you still a garage to work on your car if this was how you were dealt with

Would you stay a hotel that resembles Fawlty Towers levels of complaints  

With the multiple releases Ive purchased in the past year, im paying down this year (Queens Beasts Completer proofs, Great Engravers gold coins, multiple 2022 jubilee sovereign sets) after that i think I'm personally done with running the gauntlet of every release or trying backing the next RM winning horse, with the exception of keeping the Great Engravers series going  

Any new release I fancy for my stack, I will just take my luck buying at auction instead, already graded and nothing to worry about

Any opinions ? discussions ? 

Cancelled my £8.5k of orders a week or so ago mate and now I’m just trying to make up a set of Monarchs from that series and nothing else. So not a complete boycott. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

9 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@MancunianStackerdid you get the refund?  FM it took me months to get a 5k refund off them. 

Hi mate,

I cancelled Sunday night and had the refund by Wednesday, I did threaten them with the credit cards chargeback services though. I guess they can only receive x many chargeback complaints per year etc 🤷‍♂️ Otherwise specific card companies may not allow future buyers their purchases. Mine was Barclaycard. No idea if the threat worked or just coincidence 

On 26/03/2022 at 13:41, Paul said:

Just making this a separate thread, to put it out there for open discussion for the community here

It is mentioned on various comments with great regularity ongoing multiple issues with usually Royal Mint Inc

• QC issues
  • Flawed/damaged coins being sent out
  • Packing/capsules
  • Multiple returns
  • Delays
  • Rapid fire, conveyor belt like releases one after another, week after week
  • Lack lustre customer support
  • Selling "pre-graded70" coins
  • ......take your pick

Is it not the case, we should just wave our white flags and stop supporting and spending our cash with a brand.

Would you still use a restaurant if you had experienced this many issues 

Would you still a garage to work on your car if this was how you were dealt with

Would you stay a hotel that resembles Fawlty Towers levels of complaints  

With the multiple releases Ive purchased in the past year, im paying down this year (Queens Beasts Completer proofs, Great Engravers gold coins, multiple 2022 jubilee sovereign sets) after that i think I'm personally done with running the gauntlet of every release or trying backing the next RM winning horse, with the exception of keeping the Great Engravers series going  

Any new release I fancy for my stack, I will just take my luck buying at auction instead, already graded and nothing to worry about

Any opinions ? discussions ? 

I don't tend to use them as I find their premiums really high. That is just a personal view thought, be interested to hear other peoples views. 

I am out now. Received my last Royal Mint proof today. Concentrating on bullion and older graded proofs. I think I expect too much from the proofs and there will never be a perfect coin. Certainly, given I am ecstatic with an MS63 grade for an old Half Sovereign, me moaning about a PR69 modern proof is just so irrelevant now. Onwards. 

3 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I am out now. Received my last Royal Mint proof today. Concentrating on bullion and older graded proofs. I think I expect too much from the proofs and there will never be a perfect coin. Certainly, given I am ecstatic with an MS63 grade for an old Half Sovereign, me moaning about a PR69 modern proof is just so irrelevant now. Onwards. 

Same mate. A bit like me and Man Utd 😂 

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, marston59 said:

Enough waiting for my 2x 1 kilo gothic crowns, I have cancelled the order.

They neither have the blanks or the packaging. They are a bad Marketing company, currently selling dreams and then crushing them 😔 

Made my first purchase from the mint directly yesterday. Seems like a faff having to deposit money in the wallet then pay from that compared to just being able to pay like a normal dealer. We will see how long it takes to arrive. I can see why that payment style combined with queing would put people off using them and that's without considering the amount of people I've heard having issues with proof coins (mostly the silver ones) recently. 

I recently took delivery of the latest 10oz silver Tudor Lion.
The coin was pretty much perfect ( rare these days without some fine lines or scuffs )but the capsule looked as if it had been in the goal mouth at an ice hockey match. The RM agreed it was unacceptable and offered a replacement capsule. They shipped the wrong size. After a number of exchanges they told me I would need to return the coin which I was reluctant to do. They told me this would be the only way. I then found a person who understood sending the coin would incur additional costs for them and surely a simple cheap postage capsule could be sent after we confirmed precise dimensions. A few days later a message saying I could return the coin for a refund as none were available.

WTF !!!

I decided to return the coin at their expense and bought a replacement from Martin, saving £25 of course.
Martin's coin arrived and a day later I received a new capsule from the RM.

What more can I say !!!!