• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Handling proof coin like a boss or not?

Slam

Saw a video the other day and thought this guy handled the coin like a bossman and either didn't care or he didn't know how proof coins should be handled. (Not one to tell how to handle the coins but i feel this isn't the way, for me anyways.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJCJWFUDKKQ

His really enjoying the coin and I wondered any one else enjoy their proof coins to the fullest like this with their bare hands. 

Wish I can handle my proof coins like this but something tells me I can't without blemishes appearing. (I think he created a blemish on the coin after too as example. )

Thanks

🤣 Yeah, don't do that. He ended his video by saying " Yes, I think this is worth £95" .. it may have been 3.5 minutes earlier but it wasn't by the time he finished with it.

I also think his description of how shiny and heavy it was compared to a circulation £2 kind of gave the game away 😂

Thanks for sharing 👍

Edit: worth adding, no problem handling with bare hands, its the safest way, but don't touch the surfaces of a proof, ever. The grease from your skin not only leaves an ugly mark and possibly scratches the surface if its a smudge, but over time the acid also etches the surface - permissible on the rim, destroying it numismatically (in most cases) if on the surface.

Edited by SilverMike

43 minutes ago, SilverMike said:

🤣 Yeah, don't do that. He ended his video by saying " Yes, I think this is worth £95" .. it may have been 3.5 minutes earlier but it wasn't by the time he finished with it.

I also think his description of how shiny and heavy it was compared to a circulation £2 kind of gave the game away 😂

Thanks for sharing 👍

Edit: worth adding, no problem handling with bare hands, its the safest way, but don't touch the surfaces of a proof, ever. The grease from your skin not only leaves an ugly mark and possibly scratches the surface if its a smudge, but over time the acid also etches the surface - permissible on the rim, destroying it numismatically (in most cases) if on the surface.

The risk is too great with my unsteady hands 🤣

Sounds like he's really enjoying the coin. What's wrong with that?! And I think the sentiment behind his comment was that it was worth spending £95 on it rather than it being worth £95 to anyone else.

I'm going to crack open my 2022 5-coin proof sovereign set to see if it brings me similar joy.

3 minutes ago, motorbikez said:

Could be a wealthy guy & now it's his carry piece.

Very true, could be.

14 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Sounds like he's really enjoying the coin. 

I'm going to crack open my 2022 5-coin proof sovereign set to see if it brings me similar joy.

Look forward to seeing the video 👍

3 hours ago, NewCoins said:

Absofrickinglutely.

I dream of running my finger tips across the reverse of the quartered arms. The larger ones , even more so. 

I too have had this urge when the 2022 proof sovereign arrived, obviously I didn’t and never would but the temptation was there.

I wonder if it’s being told things when we were younger, “When we go in the shop, remember what I said, don’t touch anything”, or “Just look with your eyes not your hands” or even “If you keep touching that it’ll fall off!!” 😳 😆

5 hours ago, motorbikez said:

Could be a wealthy guy & now it's his carry piece.

He is certainly wealthy. I would say '(lower) upper middle class' in Japanese terms (a fair bit above a British equivalent in respect of money). His English - although heavily accented - is quite fluent, suggesting that he continued his language education to university level, which is not common with such proficiency among Japanese of his age (his voice and skin tone suggest a man in his 40s). Both would also suggest that he went to a university of some practical merit (rare in Japan at that time), has spent significant time abroad, and/or has fostered regular interactions with native speakers since.

£95 is a 'nice' meal out for one in Japan at a noteworthy restaurant (also noteworthy though that their £10 restaurants put ours to shame). However this is a man who both appreciates the coin deeply and yet wishes to experience it in its purest form, and via touch. He is a gentle and appreciative connoisseur - taking nothing for granted. He is of the (uniquely Japanese afaik) mindset of treasuring the moment, the transience - exploring all states of the coin. The perfection, and then the imperfection (and yet it being, in a sense, so much more perfect in its 'imperfection' state - to some he has sacrificed something, but for him he has gained everything he could have from this experience).

It's a very nuanced Japanese way of thinking, and very hard to explain. But it's incredibly beautiful if you can grasp (which I have only a few times).

Very glad to see this thank you :)

On 25/01/2022 at 23:43, kimchi said:

He is certainly wealthy. I would say '(lower) upper middle class' in Japanese terms (a fair bit above a British equivalent in respect of money). His English - although heavily accented - is quite fluent, suggesting that he continued his language education to university level, which is not common with such proficiency among Japanese of his age (his voice and skin tone suggest a man in his 40s). Both would also suggest that he went to a university of some practical merit (rare in Japan at that time), has spent significant time abroad, and/or has fostered regular interactions with native speakers since.

£95 is a 'nice' meal out for one in Japan at a noteworthy restaurant (also noteworthy though that their £10 restaurants put ours to shame). However this is a man who both appreciates the coin deeply and yet wishes to experience it in its purest form, and via touch. He is a gentle and appreciative connoisseur - taking nothing for granted. He is of the (uniquely Japanese afaik) mindset of treasuring the moment, the transience - exploring all states of the coin. The perfection, and then the imperfection (and yet it being, in a sense, so much more perfect in its 'imperfection' state - to some he has sacrificed something, but for him he has gained everything he could have from this experience).

It's a very nuanced Japanese way of thinking, and very hard to explain. But it's incredibly beautiful if you can grasp (which I have only a few times).

Very glad to see this thank you :)

Beautiful description of a nuanced cultural difference.  Thank you.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys