• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint British Monarchs Collection

harrygill111

49 minutes ago, ak74 said:

I personally do not see the point to collect the 2Oz when they are just 1.39 mm bigger in diameter than 1Oz ones. Basically you get the same design as 1Oz, but for double price. From investment point of view, I cannot be sure that 2Oz will be much better investment than 1Oz. When I bought first double sovereign, I understood there is the reason - it looks much more astonishing than standard sovereign. 

You are absolutely correct from an investment standpoint. As it stands now, without even thinking long-term, you can generally get 30% profit straight way from a 1 oz issue if bought at RM RRP price whereas I've seen some issues of the 2 oz on sale on eBay for a 5-10% loss already. I think that margin is only going to increase (albeit slightly) in time.

But I buy coins with my heart, not with my head & it's just more satisfying to both look at & hold in your hand, those weighty 2 oz'ers. 😂

Does anyone know why the mintage on the Limited Edition proof coins varies from one release (of the same weight) to the next? In the 2oz category, there have been 2 @ 700, 2 @ 750 and today's release at just 600. Is it simply that the Royal Mint think some coins will be more popular than others and, if so, what's their criteria? 

10 hours ago, timsk said:

Does anyone know why the mintage on the Limited Edition proof coins varies from one release (of the same weight) to the next? In the 2oz category, there have been 2 @ 700, 2 @ 750 and today's release at just 600. Is it simply that the Royal Mint think some coins will be more popular than others and, if so, what's their criteria? 

I feel like they must base it on the average performance of past coins in a range.

While a couple releases of prior Monarchs have sold out, a couple haven’t yet.

It’s sort of like calibrating and attempting to hone in on some sweet mintage spot that likely never exists (since some people can lose interest in a range midway, while others may want to join in midway).

It’s definitely weird that there will never truly be a complete set possible for everyone because of these varying mintages, but I doubt the RM cares about that aspect.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JTerry3 said:

Dispatched confirmation received for latest Henry VIII release. 🙌

That's good news, I'm still waiting for Edward VII for over three months now. I was supposed to reconfirm payment two weeks ago, as so much time has passed since ordering. They must have preferred to keep the supposedly freshly minted (according to their mail) coins, at least I haven't received any confirmation of shipment since then. I guess i'll see Henry VIII around Christmas...

Edited by dikefalos

6 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

That's good news, I'm still have waiting for Edward VII for over three months now. I was supposed to reconfirm payment two weeks ago, as so much time has passed since ordering. They must have preferred to keep the supposedly freshly minted (according to their mail) coins, at least I haven't received any confirmation of shipment since then. I guess i'll see Henry VIII around Christmas...

Wow, I received my Edward VII 1 oz. and 2 oz. from a dealer several weeks ago.  I would contact the RM.

5 minutes ago, JeffM said:

Wow, I received my Edward VII 1 oz. and 2 oz. from a dealer several weeks ago.  I would contact the RM.

A german dealer has send them out like two weeks after release, over two months ago. You have two be a patient masochist to be a happy Royal Mint customer...😅

2 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

Which one mate? I'm waiting on 1oz silver...

2oz silver. I've only anecdotal evidence for this but think they do tend to prioritise shipping according to value on releases such as this but still a good sign yours might not be too far behind!

Edited by JTerry3

30 minutes ago, JTerry3 said:

2oz silver. I've only anecdotal evidence for this but think they do tend to prioritise shipping according to value on releases such as this but still a good sign yours might not be too far behind!

Ditto for me.

According to the RM website, my 2 oz coin will be arriving by Weds 15th Feb'. I'll believe it when I see it!

My 2oz silver proof of Henry VIII arrived today, it’s on its way back now.

5F47A8C5-8A2C-41E1-9EED-CF8AA9BEE0BC.thumb.jpeg.797d73ccb77c8e076fa2d391320dbc81.jpeg

First time I’ve ever had any QA problems with the Royal Mint which I feel fortunate about.  I have to say the returns process was easier than I thought it would be - I guess they have had a lot of practice 😁

1 hour ago, StackerBritt said:

5F47A8C5-8A2C-41E1-9EED-CF8AA9BEE0BC.thumb.jpeg.797d73ccb77c8e076fa2d391320dbc81.jpeg

First time I’ve ever had any QA problems with the Royal Mint which I feel fortunate about.  I have to say the returns process was easier than I thought it would be - I guess they have had a lot of practice 😁

Geez that's a fugly coin If that's what they look like think ill be finding mine a new owner when they turn up

2 hours ago, StackerBritt said:

Hi StackerBritt,

Mine arrived today too - and appears to have the same imperfection - assuming that's what it is? I question it as it strikes me as being improbable that two coins have the same issue. It's difficult to say with 100% certainty that the mark on my coin is identical to yours because it's very faint and, even, disappears altogether depending on the light and the angle one views the coin. One would need to see the two together to be completely certain. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the marks are identical, then it's reasonable to assume that every coin minted will be the same? I'm still a newbie and may be talking bollox - I'm just thinking out loud! Anyway, I'll hold off returning mine until others have posted to say (on the 2oz) that their's is imperfection free.

2 hours ago, Robda1986 said:

Geez that's a fugly coin If that's what they look like think ill be finding mine a new owner when they turn up

I have one of these coming too, bought on a whim - I agree its not a looker, but I might wait and see what the mintage numbers are on the next few given that this was the lowest of the series so far. Obviously if its a duffer it'll be going back!

Admittedly its hard to tell from a picture, but it also looks like a really weak strike especially for a proof.

4 hours ago, timsk said:

Hi StackerBritt,

Mine arrived today too - and appears to have the same imperfection - assuming that's what it is? I question it as it strikes me as being improbable that two coins have the same issue. It's difficult to say with 100% certainty that the mark on my coin is identical to yours because it's very faint and, even, disappears altogether depending on the light and the angle one views the coin. One would need to see the two together to be completely certain. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the marks are identical, then it's reasonable to assume that every coin minted will be the same? I'm still a newbie and may be talking bollox - I'm just thinking out loud! Anyway, I'll hold off returning mine until others have posted to say (on the 2oz) that their's is imperfection free.

I doubt the entire montage will be affected.  Perhaps they were both made in the same batch before the die was cleaned?