• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint British Monarchs Collection

harrygill111

1 hour ago, timsk said:

Just a quick update . . .

I've just received my replacement Henry VIII coin from the Royal Mint this morning and I'm happy to report that it looks perfect (to my eye). Hope everyone else who's asked for a replacement is equally happy.

Fingers crossed this is my one and only experience of poor quality control from the mint!

I received my replacement for Henry VIII today as well and it looks fine.  

Well the coin looks fine, the pictures as ugly as a cats arse, and Henry doesn’t look too handsome either.

On 14/03/2023 at 21:28, Sharron said:

You got someone on the inside lol

Nope, not now. But if you buy both coins from him, i'll ask him for a new toaster. PM me, after you bought them.👍

To shorten the waiting time for Charles I, you can already start looking at the next Monarchs issue. After the Petition Crown, I can't imagine that they will restrike another milled coin. Besides, it would also fit to the first two Stuart issues, James I and Charles I, to take one of the hammered coins. That would be the last hammered style issue, wouldn't it?

Charles-II-Hammered-Half-Crown-Obverse.png

hisc2sts-charles-ii-first-hammered-issue-shilling-by-thomas-simon-obverse.jpg

3 hours ago, dikefalos said:

Nope, not now. But if you buy both coins from him, i'll ask him for a new toaster. PM me, after you bought them.👍

To shorten the waiting time for Charles I, you can already start looking at the next Monarchs issue. After the Petition Crown, I can't imagine that they will restrike another milled coin. Besides, it would also fit to the first two Stuart issues, James I and Charles I, to take one of the hammered coins. That would be the last hammered style issue, wouldn't it?

I was wondering the same thing… whether they would use Roettier’s portrait for the Charles II coin or something else. I think the former would be just way to similar to the Petition Crown. And I agree with you that one of the hammered coins would be more apt. I like this crowned portrait.

On 18/03/2023 at 13:47, dikefalos said:

They may show Charles III hammered.

On 21/03/2023 at 21:24, JTerry3 said:

Seems I've been refunded for the Henry VIII I returned when I ticked exchange on the return slip, anyone had this happen before?

I returned mine and ticked the exchange box.  They emailed me saying they had received the return and that my refund would be processed soon so I contacted them and they said they were just waiting for stock for an exchange.  I got the replacement a few weeks ago.

Not sure they know themselves!

On 21/03/2023 at 21:24, JTerry3 said:

Seems I've been refunded for the Henry VIII I returned when I ticked exchange on the return slip, anyone had this happen before?

I was worried about this sort of thing happening to a coin I didn't want to miss out on, so I got them to confirm that I would definitely receive a replacement before I even filled in the return form (if a replacement wasn't possible I would have probably kept it regardless).

I returned it and didn't hear anything for ages. When I chased it up, they said they didn't have a replacement and I couldn't have my coin back either because they'd already melted it.

So yeah, be prepared for anything!

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up for any late starters wanting to jump on the band wagon or anyone with a hole in the series thus far that they're looking to fill:

CrawleyCoins: The British Monarchs Collection – Remaking History

Yes, you'll pay more than the Royal Mint's launch price - but the prices are probably a good deal better than the flippers on eBay!

1 hour ago, timsk said:

Just a heads up for any late starters wanting to jump on the band wagon or anyone with a hole in the series thus far that they're looking to fill:

CrawleyCoins: The British Monarchs Collection – Remaking History

Yes, you'll pay more than the Royal Mint's launch price - but the prices are probably a good deal better than the flippers on eBay!

Since the topic is brought up again, there is good news for anyone wishing to collect this series: the 1oz gold mintage has been dropped from 610 to 260.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

37 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Since the topic is brought up again, there is good news for anyone wishing to collect this series: the 1oz gold mintage has been dropped from 610 to 260.

"Good news" the mintage is reduced to 260, or "bad news" as it shows lack of interest?

3 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

"Good news" the mintage is reduced to 260, or "bad news" as it shows lack of interest?

People change their minds all the time. The fact that mintage was high partially contributed to the lack of interest.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

On 23/03/2023 at 17:13, paulmerton said:

I was worried about this sort of thing happening to a coin I didn't want to miss out on, so I got them to confirm that I would definitely receive a replacement before I even filled in the return form (if a replacement wasn't possible I would have probably kept it regardless).

I returned it and didn't hear anything for ages. When I chased it up, they said they didn't have a replacement and I couldn't have my coin back either because they'd already melted it.

So yeah, be prepared for anything!

That's why I didn't start this set, I'd be gutted to get in to it and then have the mint screw up like this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Royal Mint Logo
Charles II

Charles II: The ‘Merry Monarch’

The Seventh Coin in The British Monarchs Collection

The British Monarchs Collection continues with a coin commemorating Charles II.

The seventh coin in the collection and the latest release for the House of Stuart, the 2023 Charles II coin features a remastered portrait originally designed by John Roettier.

Known as the ‘Merry Monarch’, Charles II was a popular king during his reign, which saw the end to the Puritan era. 

The latest coin will be revealed and available to order from 12pm midday BST8 June 2023.

VISIT

FIND US ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Twitter
Facebook
Pinterest
Instagram
YouTube
logo (1)

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

2 hours ago, Agaupl said:

Didnt get an email about this release depite keeping an eye out for the June release 🤔

I had this problem back along and found that gmail had put all Royal Mail newsletters in the 'Promotions' folder (which I rarely look in) rather than the 'Primary' folder. Also, check your spam / junk folder to ensure your service provider hasn't put them there. If the newsletters don't show up in any of those places, re-register with Royal Mail to receive the newsletter. 

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I’ve been in it for the 1oz and 2oz silvers since the beginning, but I’m sadly considering quitting this series. ☹️

What’s the reasoning? Interest does seem to waining. I’m still committed to it. 

Aaaahhh😉

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I’ve been in it for the 1oz and 2oz silvers since the beginning, but I’m sadly considering quitting this series. ☹️

I have the same, but I am not considering quitting......yet.

33 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

What’s the reasoning? Interest does seem to waining. I’m still committed to it. 

32 minutes ago, JeffM said:

I have the same, but I am not considering quitting......yet.

It’s just become too much to keep up with financially - with the various Sovereign releases, Great Engravers, Tudor Beasts, British Monarchs, and the odd release that catches my eye.

For the Tudor Beasts, I’m only doing the 1oz silver reverse proof set, and we are almost halfway through the series, so I’m staying put.

But the British Monarchs has a long ways to go yet, and the recent portraits they’ve chosen have been rather underwhelming (to me). So I’m considering ending my pursuit and likely selling off what I have so far.

Just now, westminstrel said:

It’s just become too much to keep up with financially - with the various Sovereign releases, Great Engravers, Tudor Beasts, British Monarchs, and the odd release that catches my eye.

For the Tudor Beasts, I’m only doing the 1oz silver reverse proof set, and we are almost halfway through the series, so I’m staying put.

But the British Monarchs has a long ways to go yet, and the recent portraits they’ve chosen have been rather underwhelming (to me). So I’m considering ending my pursuit and likely selling off what I have so far.

I’m a bit the opposite. Keeping the Tudor beasts in bullion. Totally agree the release schedule this year has been very difficult to keep up with. I think this is the reason for the loss of interest for this huge series. I still like it. Edward VII was a highlight, more to come. I have stayed away from RM great engravers but have the EIC alternatives 

Aaaahhh😉

2 hours ago, Agaupl said:

I’m a bit the opposite. Keeping the Tudor beasts in bullion. Totally agree the release schedule this year has been very difficult to keep up with. I think this is the reason for the loss of interest for this huge series. I still like it. Edward VII was a highlight, more to come. I have stayed away from RM great engravers but have the EIC alternatives 

I think both are worth going with to be honest. There are some weird portrait choices for the Monarchs series but as you get to more recent ones there will be fewer choices for each, and all are quite classic if you are a sovereign collector. And the TB series is visibly getting better. Comparing the early designs, lion and panther, with the later yale and bull, they are starting to look like the actual animals not just monkeys. And there are two dragons in the TB series which is a major plus side... everyone likes dragons.