• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Royal Mint Annual Sets

1 hour ago, Paul said:

May be an image of money

Spotted earlier on a bookface flippers collectors group

First toning spotted on these new releases in less than a week already :(  

Exactly why I won’t be buying any more silver! To much risk of degradation. Fine on bullion although still reduced sale price, but proof coins ?!

4 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Is the mintage of everything in the silver piedfort proof set about 370?

The piedfort silver does not say. It just states limited presentation without specifically stating the mintage.. I do wonder what else is to come between now and June with the jubilee theme

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I was wondering just the other day whether this is the worst time of year to buy silver coins online. They're likely to sit in extremely cold vans or warehouses overnight during the delivery process, which could attract condensation directly onto the coins when they are moved into a warmer environment, even if they are not taken out of their capsules (they're not airtight and they will already contain some air anyway).

Oh well, mine have just arrived so I'll find out if mine are the same soon!

When i first read about proof coins i stumbled on a post that mentioned that you should leave the parcel to "acclimatize" in a dry room before opening. Theory was that if the coin was allowed to return to room temperature it wouldn't draw the moisture outside the parcel onto the cold coin. Could be a load of bull c**p, any idea's @HerefordBullyun?

Edited by SilverDrum

78av.gif

3 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

When i first read about proof coins i stumbled on a post that mentioned that you should leave the parcel to "acclimatize" in a dry room before opening. Theory was that if the coin was allowed to return to room temperature it wouldn't dram the moisture outside the parcel onto the cold coin. Could be a load of bull c**p, any idea's @HerefordBullyun?

I would agree with that as being non BS

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

6 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

When i first read about proof coins i stumbled on a post that mentioned that you should leave the parcel to "acclimatize" in a dry room before opening. Theory was that if the coin was allowed to return to room temperature it wouldn't dram the moisture outside the parcel onto the cold coin. Could be a load of bull c**p, any idea's @HerefordBullyun?

Well I’ve just opened mine as quick as possible as I couldn’t wait to see the coins 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I've just been lucky enough to receive the following annual sets and had a quick look at them already:

• 2022 premium proof coin set
  • 2022 silver proof coin set
  • 2022 silver piedfort commemorative coin set

These are my first annual sets, and I bought them mainly for that reason - I have never seen one in the flesh before, let alone all the different types.

They are all impressive, but to be honest, I think I prefer the non-silver premium proof set! Not only is it cheaper and more readily available, but the coins look just fine to me and it also includes the 2022 medal thing that isn't included in the silver sets. The wooden box is also a hell of a lot nicer and doesn't attract fingerprints like the black glossy fingerprint magnets that the silver sets come in. Also no need to worry about tarnishing and milkspots after a couple of years I guess :D 

I recommend getting the premium proof set if you haven't already. I'm already wondering why I bought the silver ones as well - I think it was partly because they were available and had lower edition limits and I got carried away! :D 

8 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I've just been lucky enough to receive the following annual sets and had a quick look at them already:

• 2022 premium proof coin set
  • 2022 silver proof coin set
  • 2022 silver piedfort commemorative coin set

These are my first annual sets, and I bought them mainly for that reason - I have never seen one in the flesh before, let alone all the different types.

They are all impressive, but to be honest, I think I prefer the non-silver premium proof set! Not only is it cheaper and more readily available, but the coins look just fine to me and it also includes the 2022 medal thing that isn't included in the silver sets. The wooden box is also a hell of a lot nicer and doesn't attract fingerprints like the black glossy fingerprint magnets that the silver sets come in. Also no need to worry about tarnishing and milkspots after a couple of years I guess :D 

I recommend getting the premium proof set if you haven't already. I'm already wondering why I bought the silver ones as well - I think it was partly because they were available and had lower edition limits and I got carried away! :D 

I think I have to agree the premium proof set is much nicer and I agree the wooden box is absolutely beautiful 

17 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

I remember reading something very similar in the early 90s, but it was in a camcorder manual and to do with protecting the electronics and tape head from moisture :D 

But metal coins would be in the same boat. If they're being transported in very cold weather, especially if they are sent back to the depot for redelivery or stored there a couple of nights over a weekend, they could go through a few temperate changes that would make airborne moisture cling to them whenever they are moved somewhere warmer (even in packaging - it's not airtight). Quite whether that would be enough to cause any problems is another question.

5 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Thanks, thats decent and will look to get a box maybe but that 19 coin sovereign box will do my ocd nut in. Its bugging me whiles looking at the pictures still lol. Why oh why did RM do that lol. They purposely trying to fk with my mind. 🤣

9 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Topically, if anyone else like me really likes the box that the premium proof set comes in, it looks like the same box is now available as a collection case for gold bullion brits and sovereigns:

Could also house a set of Gold QBs 🤔 shame about the price.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

2 minutes ago, Slam said:

Thanks, thats decent and will look to get a box maybe but that 19 coin sovereign box will do my ocd nut in. Its bugging me whiles looking at the pictures still lol. Why oh why did RM do that lol. They purposely trying to fk with my mind. 🤣

Yep, and then you buy it and realise you need to change all your capsules to ones that fit the box perfectly.

fun times

9 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Could also house a set of Gold QBs 🤔 shame about the price.

It comes with a sov and seems to be a subscription service so you receive the new bullion sov every year. On that basis not bad at c. £50 for the box. Although the 10 and 19 seem to be the same price 

1 minute ago, TringSilver said:

It comes with a sov and seems to be a subscription service so you receive the new bullion sov every year. On that basis not bad at c. £50 for the box. Although the 10 and 19 seem to be the same price 

I was thinking about the 10x 1oz Britannia box, would be perfect size for 1oz QBs

1 minute ago, Chrisplym said:

Do you think that the holes in the sovereign cases would be able to accommodate the proof full sovereign capsules?

I'd say so.

My reasoning is that they will be sticking with those capsules moving forward ( introducing pieces of foam rather than changing capsules)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

6 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

I was thinking about the 10x 1oz Britannia box, would be perfect size for 1oz QBs

Think someone on here can make boxes for queen's beast coins 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip