• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Do you wear cotton gloves? 🧤

Ive got some snooker refferee gloves from Sports direct and i washed them before use for handling coins so I know they wont mark my silver.

They are good for polishing balls apparently also!

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

28 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

Cotton gloves are the last thing i'd be worrying about if i had bear hands!

spacer.png

I'll let myself out...

Oh you know what I meant...Mr Dictionary 😲

22 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Ive got some snooker refferee gloves from Sports direct and i washed them before use for handling coins so I know they wont mark my silver.

They are good for polishing balls apparently also!

No comment!!!!

27 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

No comment!!!!

True but when you are going to sink the pink, make sure you dont foul and pot the brown instead! Could all end in tears!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Always....oils,dirt,sweat are always on your fingers..I was told by a very well known coin dealer..no matter what coin you handle..Wear cotton gloves..never handle coins with bear hands/fingers if you want to keep your coins in the condition you buy them. Otherwise contamination from your fingers will eventually have negative consequences on your coins over the months or years....now whether that is fact or not...I always wear cotton gloves when handling coins.... it doesn't cost much for a pair of gloves and to be on the safe side....what have you got to lose with extra protection...Something I've always done..

52 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Cotton gloves are cheap multiples of x10 x20 x50..not much to spend to handle your coins..never leave home without them....cotton underpants @LawrenceChard...can't imagine the contamination on those..😄😄😄😄😄

Sure, wearing gloves of some kind is good advice, but not an absolute. Most dealers and some collectors are well practised at picking coins up using fingernails and fingertips, by the edge of the coin. If your hands are clean, and not greasy, there is little risk of "contaminating" a coin. There is a slight trade-off. If handling high value, high grade copper or bronze coins, I might use gloves. Silver is midway between gold and copper when it comes to the risk of fingerprinting causing damage. Cotton gloves also absorb oil ond grease from skin, and can attract dust and grit, latex does not. 

Gloves require some time to put on and take off, and there can be pleasure in handling "raw" coins with bare hands, compared with only ever seeing and handling slabbed coins through plastic while wearing cotton gloves. Human life and experience is more valuable then any rare or valuable coin. 

There is a slight risk of fumbling, causing damage, through insecure grip or clumsy handling, more so with cotton gloves than latex, which do give better grip.

I used to check about 500 sovereigns per hour, and gloves slowed that down significantly. Also touching them is unlikely to cause any damage to gold coins, except for proofs.

When I first tried using cotton gloves, they were not easily available at low prices, as they are now.

Latex gloves make handling better, and last longer.

Extra protection is always worthwhile, but I thought we were talking about coins, and it sounds like you have changed the subject. 😎

Chards

I've got a Sovereign that has spent over 100 years in the bottom of the ocean . If you placed it alongside 10 other sovereigns that have never touched water most people couldn't pick it out. I think gloves are rather like face masks.  Some people wear them in certain situations that might seem sensible. Others wear them like some obsessive religion at all times. Whatever makes you happy. All my sovereigns are in capsules but i'm quite happy to take them out and have a glove free fondle now and again 😳    

57 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Oh you know what I meant...Mr Dictionary 😲

Oop's thought i had logged into TheStandupForum! 

On a serious note, i would be sad to find a finger print on anything with a numismatic value. Bullion however i tend to not mind what it looks like as long as it's of correct weight! I did have BYB melt my most damaged and milked brits into a bar once, they had been handled with little care direct from the mint!

78av.gif

19 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

Oop's thought i had logged into TheStandupForum! 

On a serious note, i would be sad to find a finger print on anything with a numismatic value. Bullion however i tend to not mind what it looks like as long as it's of correct weight! I did have BYB melt my most damaged and milked brits into a bar once, they had been handled with little care direct from the mint!

Let’s see the bar!

The only time i wear gloves is when transfering proof coins to a capsule. Bullion silver (and 'semi-numismatic' silver) gets picked up by the edge unless i want it to oxidise/tone.

Reaction marks on silver coins are not really an issue for me - but i have to admit that whenever i see a youtube video where coins are being stacked or 'jingled' i get agitated to the point where i can no longer watch. The collector in me wants to punch the presenter repeatedly...

Oddly, the most valuable numismatic coins i own i am happy to handle glove-free. It's part of the appeal of owning them for me.

No I don't wear gloves, but then I don't buy high grade coins so it's a moot point.

Don't like proofs, so I don't buy em, but I get why people might want to wear gloves for those.

Sorry @TeaTime but my junk pre-1920 silver started out rattling around in an old coffee jar.

Obviously collector coins went in the cabinet.

Junk silver i have no problem with - it's when someone pours out a tube of Britannias etc and proceeds to stack them up or throw them against each other causing scratches and dings...

I have never understood why anyone would pay a premium for new silver coins and then wilfully go about removing the premium by damaging the coins.  It reminds me of an 1980's plasterer lighting his fag with a fiver 😁

'Cheap' cotton gloves can drop fibres which isn't an issue for most stuff but it is for proof coins etc. 

I use latex/nitrile gloves if handling fresh silver or shiny new gold, purely as it's a savings mechanism so may as well be as fresh as possible if/when it is eventually moved on by myself or a descendant. I am less fussy these days with things like sovereigns and other circulated coins. Whether wearing gloves or not I only use fingertips on the edge of the coin and never grip the faces. The exception here is obviously worn stuff that fondling will have no negative effect on. I quite like to flick silver with my thumb (a la the heads or tails game) to listen to the noise it makes as it's struck. I am quite odd though. If you don't do this I recommend it, works especially well with large coins such as crowns or dollars. I have an old peace dollar that is as smooth as glass and it makes the most wonderful 'pulled from a movie sound effect library' PING as it's sent skyward...can't do that with gloves on!

Edited by Liam84

• 1 month later...

Ive got 2 sets now as its winter one set for furiously polishing my trumpet but due the amount of use I will have to buy a second set before they get too holy, as the bishop siad. The other set is for my silver!

i dont bother with gloves with bullion coins as i hold them by there edge. just got to feel it 😉

as for coins that have milk spots or tarnishing i just use the rubber pencil eraser trick like most of us do 🙄

LFTV.  live from the vault.   Spot price is immaterial. its just an illusion.

7 hours ago, gji25 said:

i dont bother with gloves with bullion coins as i hold them by there edge. just got to feel it 😉

as for coins that have milk spots or tarnishing i just use the rubber pencil eraser trick like most of us do 🙄

The problem is that this is only a temporary solution.