• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

4 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Why is everyone suddenly buying all these Chinese lunar coins?

That's the way these things happen fairly routinely. I recall a fairly sustained flurry of interest in and orders for the 2011 Xi-Shi Holding A Pearl medals back a couple or so years.

Some of the Chinese medals have very low mintages (comparatively with "low mintage" coins from mints like the RCM, RM, and PM) and so I think collectors and enthusiasts (as well as speculators I suppose) rush to get in on the action sooner rather than later....because later may be either none to buy, lower quality examples, or more expensive. It happened to me at least once where I hesitated and then a few weeks later, none were left and the couple that could be found were considerably more costly.

Even if the mintages aren't very low, some of the Chinese medals are just so awesome looking that it's hard to resist not ordering as soon a you find out about a release.

Edited by mmissinglink

Lunars as a theme seem relatively safe compared to the average commem. By definition they are part of a series and if the series has a following they can be good.

The only lunar series I collect are:

Perth mint Lunar 2
Panda Lunar by Shenyang mint

Perth Lunar because it is still the best choice for semi-numi Bullion across any theme. But I am not going overboard till exchange rates improve.

Panda Lunar as it is the very best choice for low mintage series medal. There are two varieties and the antique ones are my favorite with a mintage of 99 each.

8decc6a52b998fb327ffd09569233e0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lunars as a theme seem relatively safe compared to the average commem. By definition they are part of a series and if the series has a following they can be good.

The only lunar series I collect are:

Perth mint Lunar 2
Panda Lunar by Shenyang mint

Perth Lunar because it is still the best choice for semi-numi Bullion across any theme. But I am not going overboard till exchange rates improve.

Panda Lunar as it is the very best choice for low mintage series medal. There are two varieties and the antique ones are my favorite with a mintage of 99 each.

8decc6a52b998fb327ffd09569233e0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More Silver notes.  These are 5g Disney Licensed which have come from Shaghai Pudong Development Bank and manufactured by Beijing Kingee Culture Development Co., Ltd.

Very nice packaging.  Outer sleeve containing 4 sets.  Each set is a folder within a sleeve.  The backs are all the same.

Here's a video of the contents for anyone interested.  

2017-02-21 10.08.53.jpg

2017-02-21 10.09.06.jpg

2017-02-21 10.09.24.jpg

2017-02-21 10.13.05.jpg

2017-02-21 10.12.54.jpg

2017-02-21 10.10.04.jpg

2017-02-21 10.13.26.jpg

Is the colour and "shiny-ness" of the head the same as the background? There should be a noticable difference.

Looks to me like it's been polished, the field should be the colour and texture of the background behind the letters.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 minutes ago, lightjaw said:

Do you mean the 1937 @sovereignsteve ?

If so then the head is frosted as is the St George,  it's more my camera angle that's the issue :)

no sorry, my bad. I was looking at the 1883S full sov posted by @Sovereign on the previous page, should have linked.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon